Coastal gold detecting, at pro or at gold?

Kamorle

Jun 26, 2013
Hello everyone, I would like to hear any thoughts on whether I should buy a Garrett at gold or at pro. I live on the west coast and want to do some gold prospecting. The dealership close to me sells both machines and recommended the pro because they say its better dealing with the salt and will still find the gold. Other people have told me I should get a the at gold because its made for the small nuggets. The frequency's aren't that different at pro at 15khz and gold 18khz. Yes there are more expencive detectors out there that might be better but the Garrett at's are water proof and in my price range.

Upvote 0

TravyLeigh

Sep 17, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This weekend I used a whites mxt at 14khz... Picked this up with it this morning ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413756981.912715.jpg

TravyLeigh

Sep 17, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wanted a much bigger one!! But I was very excited that the MXT would pick up such a small piece. I figured it would need to be at least BB sized

TravyLeigh

Sep 17, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only an inch or two, It wouldn't pick that up anything more than that, so it musta been close to the surface. A gold specific detector should scream with that little thing at around 3-4 inches

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If your insisting on a Garrett VLF for nuggets, the AT Gold with the small shooter coil would be most effective.

Jdubya

May 19, 2005
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Salt will cause the AT Gold to go crazy

OP
OP
Kamorle

Kamorle

Jun 26, 2013
Well I got my at gold and a pointer today. I'm pretty excited to try it out. Air testing it sounds on my 22k gold ring at about 8 inches but not my vial of flower gold even right up close.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread