Best VLF and PI gold detectors?

azblackbird

Sep 27, 2011
Glendale, AZ
Detector(s) used
TDI Pro, GMT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Concerning gold detectors, seems the consensus among the experts says the Minelab 5000 (SDC 2300 being a close second) seems to be at the top of the heap for a PI detector, and the Gold Bug II comes in tops for a VLF detector. Concerning coin or relic detectors, me thinks there's a wide plethora of opinions on what is defined as the "best" in those categories. :dontknow:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Azblackbird is right.:occasion14:

OP
OP
TravyLeigh

TravyLeigh

Sep 17, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The SDC 2300 is one of choices now... With the whites GMT coming close behind

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The SDC 2300 is one of choices now... With the whites GMT coming close behind
I'm a Minelab man, but they think quite highly of the SD 2300 at $3800 with 8" mono coil......

You can get the Garrett ATX for $2550 and that includes 10x12 DD and 15x20 mono coils...

Nokta Fors Gold Pro for $1399.00 comes w/ 11.2x7" DD Search Coil, 5.2x4.7" DD Coil, 15.5x13.3" DD Coil

OP
OP
TravyLeigh

TravyLeigh

Sep 17, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What detector do you use mainly? The SDC is awesome cause it's waterproof

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No matter what unit you buy it's only as good as the man behind it. It takes much time to learn any new unit as even the tinyiest adjustment,sounds,churps,single pass sounds, snap, crackle,pops and on and on all tell you something. Detectors talk to you but you must first learn the language. Gold hunting is the absolute most expensive,hardest,least rewarding,travel intense and dangerous form of detecting there is. Buy used but not abused and learn how to detect before you ever try to nugget hunt as at least 90%+++ give up within a very short period of time. John

OP
OP
TravyLeigh

TravyLeigh

Sep 17, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's understandable. I love it so far :3 just need to find the right places to look!

OP
OP
TravyLeigh

TravyLeigh

Sep 17, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're right though... If I spent the same amount of time detecting parks, id find much more gold at this rate (in the form of some kinda jewelry). But there's something about the possibility of finding a huge nugget that pulls me towards natural nugget hunting

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
No matter what unit you buy it's only as good as the man behind it. It takes much time to learn any new unit as even the tinyiest adjustment,sounds,churps,single pass sounds, snap, crackle,pops and on and on all tell you something. Detectors talk to you but you must first learn the language. Gold hunting is the absolute most expensive,hardest,least rewarding,travel intense and dangerous form of detecting there is. Buy used but not abused and learn how to detect before you ever try to nugget hunt as at least 90%+++ give up within a very short period of time. John
Well put John which reminds me, deer season opens up Saturday and I have 2 tags to fill this year. Always prefer back strap with my turkey on Thanksgiving.

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The best Gold machines on the Market right now based on reviews, value and my own opinion are:
VLF: Nokta FORS Gold
PI: SDC2300

This changes depending on where you are hunting, your budget, Max Weight that you are Ok with (Both of those are pretty light) and so many more things.
Do a lot of reading, watch YouTube video's and get a feel for the detector before committing.

Also, like Hoser said, buy used first to get a good feel for it. If you can find the detector of your choice used, even better. :)

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
GMT&GM3 Whites MXT Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher 1280, OMG and the TDI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
MHO, and my two 1/2 cents, for value, water proof up to the box, whites service, short learning curve GMT, and TDI, join a club or find someone in your necxk of the woods, find a place you would like to hit and invite someone, cuz, i had enough, be dam if i am gonna show some snot nose adult an open area hot spot again, present company excluded LOL

Denniss

Jan 7, 2011
Fort Pierce, FL
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Fisher Impulse, Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The Gold Bug II is great for finding tiny lead bird shot and small pieces of bullets, if there is gold there, it would probably find it. I don't have any experience finding gold nuggets with it.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya gotta put it over gold for it to find it.....It takes at LEAST a 100 hours of use to test any new detector as so many modes and ways to use them, a simple 5-6 hour sample test of yesteryear is about worthless. Then a solar flare,micro wave transmiter or monster base station renders your latest greatest new toy worthless as it overloads. Then back to the ol'reliable TLST for me. Interesting but frustrating as happening much in shasta county now. 1 day all is fine--next day nothing but static and overloads on 4 kinds of machines. :BangHead: John

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
MHO, and my two 1/2 cents, for value, water proof up to the box, whites service, short learning curve GMT, and TDI, join a club or find someone in your necxk of the woods, find a place you would like to hit and invite someone, cuz, i had enough, be dam if i am gonna show some snot nose adult an open area hot spot again, present company excluded LOL
So next week's a no go? I told you the runny nose thing was just a cold! Aw man I just scored some batteries in the Dollar General clearance bin!

OP
OP
TravyLeigh

TravyLeigh

Sep 17, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm goin up this weekend, but there's high chance of rain... So I'm bringing the wetsuits to snipe in case of rain :) I'd like to detect, but whatever lol

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Fowledup's gold recovery equipment purchasing policy- gold pays for gold finding equipment, I'm poor and cheap to boot! Apparently I'm not that good at detecting either since gold bought my VSAT, and I still have it and haven't been able to upgrade!:thumbsup:

OP
OP
TravyLeigh

TravyLeigh

Sep 17, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hahaa same here man! No worries. If I was doing this for money, I'd exclusively sluice. Where are you located?

OP
OP
TravyLeigh

TravyLeigh

Sep 17, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is there public land we can do some prospecting up there? :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread