5 lb nugget found in Butte County

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Arizona - Is there any other state worth visiting
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The video starts out showing the landscape of where the narrator is located, why? I suppose he wants everyone to think, "I know that location, I have seen those mountains in the background" Very obvious that the real owner does not want to come forward cause once he is known others will follow him. The best quote of this entire video is, "I don't know the finders name except I call him Mr. Smith, I don't know where he lives" Really you want the viewers to believe a total stranger is going to turn over a 75 troy ounce nugget to someone he does not know, WOW... Yet digger Bob says, "When this (Nugget) started to reveal itself coming out of the ground, yeah well I can't repeat what he said, but you can imagine" Yet he never met the finder...

I bet the finder of the nugget is standing right next to the camera operator.

Last edited:

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's still some big ones out there.....that's all that matters. The next one might be found 100 miles away, maybe even a state or two away. :thumbsup:

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
In this day and age their tactic makes perfect sense. Between the common thiefs and government thiefs there are a lot of sticky fingers wanting a piece of the golden pie. I don't blame them they want the world to see the nugget, maybe get a little business bump as a bonus, and help the sale at auction, all with culpable deniability and anonymity.

ianSF

Apr 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
[h=1]Gold nugget found in California finds secret buyer[/h]SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — One of the largest gold nuggets in modern times pulled from Northern California's Gold Country has sold to a secret buyer.

The new owner of the so-called Butte Nugget and its exact price will both remain mysteries at the buyer's request, the San Francisco Chronicle reported Saturday.

But Don Kagin, the Tiburon-based coin dealer who brokered the deal, said that a "prominent Bay Area collector" paid about $400,000 for the nugget weighing 6.07 pounds (2.8 kilograms). That wasn't far off from the asking price, he said.

-------------
Gold nugget found in California finds secret buyer

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread