Yankee jims Question...

TravyLeigh

Sep 17, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414104905.286988.jpg

Go on your map, look at Yankee jims... It's northwest of Foresthill... What is this big desolate area?! hydro pit??

Upvote 0
OP
OP
TravyLeigh

TravyLeigh

Sep 17, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is this a public available-to-detect area? :)

GoldCTX

Nov 26, 2012
Northern California
Detector(s) used
GPX-4500
CTX-3030
Macro Gold Racer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Unfortunately guys before you head out there.... That whole area your are talking about ~ is claimed and unless you work out a % deal with the claim owner it is off limits to detecting & prospectors .(owner listed below)
The map attached > yellow= US Government & inside red lines > = Private Property.
Map photo is available here at MineCache.com - Home - Gold Prospecting with Google Earth
The latest claim listings and the property ownership is onXmaps

I found it is always nice to avoid ugly issues knowing that where you are going isn't going to end up with some pissed~off property owner or claim owner pointing a deer rifle at you!!!!!

Plan ahead and it is very important to do your home work! > Happy Hunting... Life is good!

GoldGPX

Yankee Jims Area.jpg

ROTSAROCKS : ACTIVE CLAIM

Serial Number: CAMC306233
Claim Status: ACTIVE
Claim Type: PLACER
Claimant: FAIRHURST JEFFERY T
Date Located: 12/05/2012
Date Closed:
State: CA
County: PLACER
Meridian: 21
Township: 0140N
Range: 0100E
Section: 028
Sub Division: NE

JEFFREY T FAIRHURST =CLAIMANT
495 N MAIN ST LAKEPORT, CA 95453-480

------------------------------
SNOB HILL : ACTIVE CLAIM

Serial Number: CAMC277768
Claim Status: ACTIVE
Claim Type: PLACER
Claimant: MILLER CINDY
Date Located: 09/01/2000
Date Closed:
State: CA
County: PLACER
Meridian: 21
Township: 0140N
Range: 0100E
Section: 028
Sub Division: NW

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
OP
OP
TravyLeigh

TravyLeigh

Sep 17, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys! And no no, I have fun just going out there. I'm just lookin for nice areas to check out :) I wonder if I could access maps like that from my phone...

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That's the Yankee Jim Diggins - very rich ground.

There are areas open to prospecting and claim at Yankee Jim Diggins but the map you are looking at is only accurate to the nearest section.

Look to the northeast corner of the Snob Hill claim or just south southwest of Yankee Jims there are still about 60 acres scattered between those two locations. Look north to Mt Pleasant Canyon area or over by Mexican Gulch and you will find hundreds of acres of unclaimed land. All within a one mile radius. :thumbsup:

The LR2000 based claims maps like Miner's Cache or the free Land Matters maps don't show the actual claim locations. They only show the section they are located in. These maps are a great way to get started on researching an area but they don't show the areas that aren't claimed within a section. Use them to determine the claim names but don't rely on them for the actual claim locations.

Do the research and you will find that no area is entirely "claimed up".

Heavy Pans

EriktheProspector

Jun 13, 2014
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Looks like the trespassers knew they were claim jumping as they were on active mines that were likely well-marked.
These articles should be a wake-up call for anyone thinking they can nonchalantly wander through claimed territory.
A weekend in jail could ensue, and serious charges to follow.
It's incumbent upon us to do our research, and ensure we're not violating ownership rights of others.

E the P

swexelman

Greenie
Sep 20, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is the devils canyon on yankee jims rd claimed? are metal detectors allowed around/in that area?

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Is the devils canyon on yankee jims rd claimed? are metal detectors allowed around/in that area?

Devils Canyon is all claimed or private land. There may be a very small portion unclaimed right near Yankee Jims itself (not the bridge - the diggins) but you would have to research that.

As none of the minerals belong to the public there you can not metal detect or do any other form of prospecting or mining.

Heavy Pans

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last time I checked the Devils canyon had an open area that I checked out as it belonged to a friend of mine who passed away. We found gold there but it wasn't worth claiming up for ourselves. I took a friend who was looking for a claim out there also and after a thorough search came up with very little. This is the problem with low flowing streams... They don't replenish unless they have enough winter flow to move some thing around. I had been on that claim 20 years ago and found nuggets but once they were gone there was nothing to replenish them with. Small well known streams with great access are basically going to be a bust unless you are very lucky.

OP
OP
TravyLeigh

TravyLeigh

Sep 17, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah unless you can find crevices that the dredgers missed.. Nuggets are pretty much gone; in the easy accessible areas. Detecting; you might find something, but from my experience, you'll find much more gold if you sluice or just crevice/pan.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread