Show Me Your Wheels

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Toys forever-go anywhere --do anything-never ever left me walking-John :headbang:

Attachments

• Big Red Toy 001.jpg
    Big Red Toy 001.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 100
  • 100_0354.jpg
    100_0354.jpg
    955.9 KB · Views: 101

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've had all different types of 4x4's over the years and concluded that short wheel base, tough, the more mechanical the better and only big enough to get you and all your crap into the boonies is most practical. I just picked up this 1987 Mitsubishi Montero (Jeep looking thing) which was also sold under the name "Dodge Raider" which I'm fitting out as a dedicated prospecting/hunting vehicle. Just removed all of the seating to make room for gear and equipment(except the one for my own arse) I'll post pics as it progresses.........Rob

Last edited:
OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had all different types of 4x4's over the years and concluded that short wheel base, tough, the more mechanical the better and only big enough to get you and all your crap into the boonies is most practical. I just picked up this 1987 Mitsubishi Montero (Jeep looking thing) which which was also sold under the name "Dodge Raider" which I'm fitting out as a dedicated prospecting/hunting vehicle. Just removed all of the seating to make room for as much gear and equipment as possible(except the one for my own arse) I'll post pics as it progresses.........Rob

I've owned several 4x4 vehicles over the years, but just local use and very mild off road for the most part. During that time I've owned 3 Geo Trackers, still own a 4 door that I wouldn't be afraid to take most places. However, they are not designed for long trips whatsoever....the two doors will beat you to death and the 4 door isn't all that much better. Not to mention the small fuel capacity, looking for fuel about 225 miles. But if I lived closer....perhaps a few off road additions?

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
When it comes to these little 4x4s, its amazing how much space is created and dead weight rejected pulling those seats out. Also, it sure is fun having a cheap 30 year old vehicle your not afraid to get creative with or can take a beating like a rented mule.

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
For back country prospecting nothing takes washboard water bar road like a rental car! Think about it, new 35mpg Ford wagon with plenty of room for sample buckets and muddy waders, roof rack for sluice and shovels. No damage to repair or associated maintenance costs. Upon return; simply toss the keys to the agent behind the counter, tell em they might want to get it checked out cuz- "It appears to pull a little to the right," give her a wink and a smile then waltz out the door and hop in your freshly waxed and detailed 12mpg personal ride. Easy peezy!

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
For back country prospecting nothing takes washboard water bar road like a rental car! Think about it, new 35mpg Ford wagon with plenty of room for sample buckets and muddy waders, roof rack for sluice and shovels. No damage to repair or associated maintenance costs. Upon return; simply toss the keys to the agent behind the counter, tell em they might want to get it checked out cuz- "It appears to pull a little to the right," give her a wink and a smile then waltz out the door and hop in your freshly waxed and detailed 12mpg personal ride. Easy peezy!
Man that's great! Those people all a bunch of crooks anyhow.

Tejaas

Sep 8, 2012
TX Hill Country
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO ~ Propointer ~ Modified Lesche ~ Predator Little Eagle ~ Royal Picks ~ Marshalltown Trowels ~ Sift Tables/Screens
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
c6d6690ad2056805a72c27729c34c531.jpg

Here's what I use.

~Tejaas~

Sharecropper

Feb 27, 2009
Well, I guess I will jump in with my 1984 military truck. 12,000 original miles.

Trust me. It. WILL. GO. ANYWHERE.

Attachments

• DSC02967.JPG
    DSC02967.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 83

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Our wheels Are a 1996 Ford ranger Pickup bought used 8 years ago His Name Is Possum ( Found on Road Dead ) He Has a Few issues But Is Still Running Strong With Over 402,000 Miles on Him Yes I Can Provide a Video to Prove it I will Do one tomorrow or the Next day If you want to see It

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I love this thread.

To me the best vehicle is something that will carry or tow an ATV plus most importantly will start when it is time to go home. I have been in vehicles that broke down in the mountains and that is no fun. I'd rather have an ATV, than a truck, when off road. That said, I have had to fly and then rent for most of my prospecting trips. I have rented everything from a Mustang (not recommended), 250 4x4 Ford with camper on top (nice once you get there, but can get stuck due to the weight and rough roads toss things around inside, as it wobbles), Suburban, Avalanche and Forester. I do like anything with 4x4 or AWD. Where I go, height is probably the most important, especially when crossing creeks.

Big issue is old mining debris on the roads that could pop a tire. I have seen some that I suspect was placed there intentionally. One could easily lose two tires, which is a son-of-a-gun if you only have one spare. This year, I walked into a spot to see if it was drivable and there was a hunk of sharp iron about 5" out of the ground. I am thankful that I didn't run it over because I was a 4 hour drive to town for a repair and maybe 20 KM to the closest active mining camp. It could have been a really bad day.

Last edited:

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here was my rental this summer. Super comfortable, but not great on rough mining roads (had to go slow). By the end of the trip, I had no plates or cups left as they all broke bumping into each other or falling out of the cupboard. It could not get safely across some stream crossings because of the bank on the far side would have hit under the bumper and I did not want to get stuck half way even though it had 4-wheel drive. I did manage to sink it in some soft ground while turning around and it took about an hour of hard work to get going.

The picture is at the bottom of one of my claims. The road is nice there because it is all tailings that were spread out by a cat. Next year, I will drive my Avalanche out to BC from Ontario and leave it there. I am getting sick of the expense of renting and the worry about damage.

rental truck.jpg

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Haven't spent many years without a 4x4. When I was 18 I bought
a '73 Chevy Shortbed, my first 4x4. When I started hard-core varmint
hunting in '79 it would no longer foot the bill, so I bought a '77 Blazer
that I could put a large hatch in the back roof.

Over the years since I've had an '80 Chevy Luv 4x4, '72 Blazer, '89
Ford Ranger, a '74 Chevy 3/4 ton longbed, 2003 Tundra and now
have an '87 Toyota SR5.

Reliability is more important to me than looks, and of the whole
lot I'd pick the early model Tundras as tops for ride, power and
dependability, but my '87 SR5 is the by far toughest and best
for off highway..it'll go anywhere ya point it if you've got the guts
to drive it there. It's got a worn out 22RE and an automatic trans,
rides like a soft brick but gets good mileage.

My advice would be to buy any truck you want so long as it's a
Toyota..:icon_thumright:

Trip050113 013aa.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm really starting to lean towards a small 4x4 pickup with either a tall topper or a slide in camper insert. But those small camper inserts are hard to find these days and pretty pricy when you do. I'm not even sure they still make them?

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread