Show Me Your Wheels

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark....Aqua pulse 1B....Equinox ll
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Look no further.........

image-1257463318.jpg

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
84-88 toyota, 22re engine,longbed gets you the long rv trans and great heavier rear end also. That extra 16 hp from the fuel injection makes all the difference in the world for these great toys. Like the awesome power of my TRD 6 banger but a ticket machine as blazing red and I do like to fly on them freeways. Still trying to find out how to disable that 110 mph inhibitor as plenty of get up and go left at that speed. :laughing7: John

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, finally got some things done with the van that I'll be traveling in next year. This was originally a 7 passenger GMC Safari van, now it's slowly becoming a mini camper for the road. The back seats were removed with one of the captain's chairs being turned around and a pedestal table installed, this is where all of the writing and computer work will be done, etc.

The bed is a box style storage unit with a 6" foam mattress and there's still quite a bit of storage room remaining near the back doors. I still have a long way to go on this as I still have to install the converter, curtains, window screens, and all those other little details.

100_0380.jpg 100_0382.jpg 100_0381.jpg

And the cammo pattern on the bed will likely get changed but I just had these sheets on hand for the sake of the pictures.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1988 Suzuki Samurai....

zuki.jpg

I tow it to the goldfields with this............
2006 3/4 ton Chevy Express van.

van camping in quartzsite AZ.jpg

GG~

Last edited:
OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1988 Suzuki Samurai....

View attachment 1077217

I tow it to the goldfields with this............
2006 3/4 ton Chevy Express van.

View attachment 1077232

GG~

I'm considering doing the same thing. I have a very reliable Geo Tracker 4x4 4-door but I'm concerned about the decreased mpg since I'll be logging so many highway miles? The van in my pics a GMC Safari 4.3L.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm considering doing the same thing. I have a very reliable Geo Tracker 4x4 4-door but I'm concerned about the decreased mpg since I'll be logging so many highway miles? The van in my pics a GMC Safari 4.3L.

4.3 is pretty small to tow a tracker very far especially up and down mountain roads. The motor in my van is a 4.8L and it's too underpowered especially when the vans full of equipment and camping gear and the Samurai is loaded with gear as well. I had to run the more expensive higher octane gasoline to gain a little extra hp to help with the hills. Only got about 15 mpg on the hwy and the transmission had to keep downshifting to make the steeper inclines. This last trip that I just returned from put 7,000+miles on the odometer.

I wanted to come back through Colorado and do some prospecting there but decided against it due to the miles and miles of mountains I would have had to cross.

GG~

Last edited:
OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
4.3 is pretty small to tow a tracker very far especially up and down mountain roads. The motor in my van is a 4.8L and it's too underpowered especially when the vans full of equipment and camping gear and the Samurai is loaded with gear as well. I had to run the more expensive higher octane gasoline to gain a little extra hp to help with the hills. Only got about 15 mpg on the hwy and the transmission had to keep downshifting to make the steeper inclines. This last trip that I just returned from put 7,000+miles on the odometer.

I wanted to come back through Colorado and do some prospecting there but decided against it due to the miles and miles of mountains I would have had to cross.

GG~

I feel your pain in that regard. I will likey put 7000-8000 on the odometer next year myself so fuel economy has to be factored in. I've considered all sorts of possible setups but there just isn't a perfect solution that I can see unless you're willing to invest heavily and then continue to spend some really big bucks.. :dontknow:

Last edited:

Showtime2385

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2013
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer-AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My 80% of the time daily
cell phone pics 3235.jpg
One of my RHD toys
envy2cell 844.jpg
MY Bike
DSC_0572.JPG
And of course i don't have a pic of my metal detecting ride on my computer haha but its a Lifted XJ jeep with big tires and a light bar :laughing7:

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just added these drawers in the back for cooking utensils, some tools, med kit, flashlights & batteries, etc. With the table removed there's still easy access into the van through the back or through the sliding side door. Since this isn't an off road vehicle I see little issues, more for mild camp locations and travel.
van sorters.jpg

Prospector70

Nov 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap 48", Keene A51 sluices and a
Number 2 Shovel baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

GG~

Aww sorry we didn't make the tour. Kevin or I could have pointed you towards the lowland route ;) (or pushed) lol.

<3

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread