First time buyer need advice

yotaboy86

Jul 14, 2014
Nor Cal
Detector(s) used
Bgt prospector/miner, Ggt nugget, gold cube, goldnsand hand pump Black magic miller table, blue bowl, garret pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello i am looking at getting a metal detector for gold prospecting i have been sluicing for about 5 months and have done pretty well and i found this spot that has alot of pickers and recently found a 2 gram nugget so i am looking for a detector that would best suit a beginner in detecting and i would only be focused on gold. So my question is what detector should i look at for gold prospecting as my only use thanks..

Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Depends on your budget. Munelab SDC 2300; Garrett ATX; Fisher Goldbug Pro; Tesoro Lobo Super Traq; Whites GMT... Do your homework!

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The new Gold Bug is a good option for many prospectors who just want a detector along to compliment their existing operations. They're super lite and can break down and stuffed into a daypack, simple yet very effective on gold(pickers) and you can pick one up new for around $450. For twice the money you can get a gold VLF with more options and task specific, it just depends on your personal prospecting goals.

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was in the same boat this summer. The key questions to answer first are:
- How mineralized is the area you are detecting? This will tell you if you should be using a VLF or a PI (PI for hot ground).
- Size and depth of the gold in your area (VLF is "typically" better for smaller gold), but that is just a rule of thumb (eg. the Minelab SDC seems to also be excellent on really small stuff).
- Are you solely detecting in the dry? Some detectors and coils cannot handle water. Some gold detectors are good to 10' underwater. Water detectors are heavy.
- Price. Arguably, you get what you pay for.

If you look on this forum, there is lots of guidance, but it is not an easy decision.

OP
OP
yotaboy86

yotaboy86

Jul 14, 2014
Nor Cal
Detector(s) used
Bgt prospector/miner, Ggt nugget, gold cube, goldnsand hand pump Black magic miller table, blue bowl, garret pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have been eye balling the gold bug and its only about two feet of river gravels im working in and his would be just for checking holes when i hit bottom and maybe a little nugget hunting. The budget seems right for the gold bug thanks for the advice

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread