Just got my GMT!

TravyLeigh

Sep 17, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay so... Just wanted to post a little comparison between the GMT and MXT pro after a quick test. I used a 0.5 grain picker.

The GMT and MXT both had the small shooter coils. Both air tests, both maxed gain. The GMT had audio boost on.

The half grain picker on the MXT had a nice audibility at 1".

The same piece on the GMT had about the same strength signal at 2".

Then I tested a 0.2 grain piece.

The GMT could pick it up at the same depth it took the MXT to see the 0.5gr piece (1").

The MXT could hear it if it was touching or almost touching.

So far, not too impressed with the GMT compared to the MXT. The MXT isn't far behind at ALL!

Will post my weekend hunt results.

Upvote 0

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Many congratulations!

Go have some fun.

And, yes please, post your results.

All the best,

Lanny

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GMT & Gold

TravyLeigh,
I have never owned or even been around any model of MXT but I do own a GMT. I owned the GMT for several years before I started finding gold with it, slow start as I had limited time to be out in the hills and even when I was I did not know what I was doing. I was blessed with more time in the mountains as well as Lanny's Metal Detecting of Bedrock post/comments. Since then I've found very tiny pieces of gold to nice pickers with my GMT either through pure detecting or using it to test my buckets of raw possible sluice box samples. I have found that using the GMT to pre test my sluice box samples has been a great time/back saver as when the machine does not beep I spend no further time working that sample.

Practice with the GMT and all of its settings should prove worthwhile for you and I believe everyone here will enjoy your sharing of hunt details including photographs.

The best of success in your adventures.....................63bkpkr

191_9175.JPG 185_8517.JPG 184_8464.JPG

Picture top left is gold and lead (on top of dime) found in "solid bedrock" some 8" down/'behind' a hunk of cracked bedrock. Right picture of gold on half dollar coin is from panning/classifying/detecting piles/sluicing from behind a large boulder and picture at bottom are types of classifier's I've made(tuna fish can on left) or purchased (Batpan classifier center, Bed Bath & Beyond Drawer Organizer to far right). Each classifier has its place and use and I enjoy them all however do not forget to wave the metal detector over the pile of larger classified stuff before you leave that spot. If any large sample of gold is anywhere it is in that pile of discards, same as in the days of early mining if we can't see it we throw it out!! [coins are there for size comparison and were not found while detecting]

188_8852.JPG

Last edited:

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I mostly use my GMT these days as Herb mentioned; it works great for sampling and pre-screening run material. Dig out a dry crevice, pocket on caliche or around a boulder and put it in a shallow mortar tub 4-6"deep then run the coil over it (4x6 Shooter) This allows higher gain/low V-SAT settings without becoming too noisy. Most of my small specimen pieces have been found with this machine.

OP
OP
TravyLeigh

TravyLeigh

Sep 17, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please educate me on your sampling methods!! Do you use it to track mineralization? Or literally to hear individual pieces of gold?

I got some time to look for gold today, then my car started having issues... So now I'm waiting for them to fix it. But! I was astonished to be finding birdshot this small at around 2" deep!.... ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416089378.005562.jpg

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If your finding small shot like that then your on the right track

OP
OP
TravyLeigh

TravyLeigh

Sep 17, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I ended up with a pocket full of it... After digging so many... Screw that spot lol!

OP
OP
TravyLeigh

TravyLeigh

Sep 17, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also I noticed with max gain and max Vsat, it picks up on smaller gold better than slow Vsat... Is this noticed by you guys also?

athanns

Mar 18, 2014
Butuan City
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Other
Looking for a Machine that can scan a deepness about 20 meters

Can your GMT can perform within a deep of 20 meters deep below the ground? I hope it can prescribed an accurate data regarding with your machine sir.. thanks

woof!

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2010
ciudadano del universo, residente de El Paso TX
Detector(s) used
BS detector
Primary Interest:
Other
@Travy: if all you do is gold prospecting, the GMT is better than the MXT-- although not by a wide margin.

@athanns: what you are asking for is not a metal detector, but a wishful thinking multiplier. If someone had such a device for sale, they would want at least US$10,000,00 for it. And, it would not come with a money-back guarantee. If you're really desperate to detect that treasure you believe is there, and only have $10,000 to spend, there are people willing to take your $10,000. You won't detect the treasure and you won't get your money back.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Travy'
I use the detector to locate single pieces of gold over bedrock or over the classic mix of dirt and rocks along stream banks. The stuff I find along boulder infested steam banks can and has lead me to even more gold. The ~1/4 oz. of gold on the silver half dollar came from a stream bank that grew into an 8' long x 4' deep trench while the tiny gold and tiny lead shot on the dime came from solid bedrock detecting.

I know the GMT will locate black sand trails along river bottoms but I've never tried it. The 4 x 6 elliptical coil is my favorite to work with though I do own all three coils offered for the GMT. An FYI - Whites has a customers "Finds" section on their website, if you submit a few words with pictures of how and what you've found with your White's GMT they will publish it on their site and if they like your submission enough they may ask permission to share your find with customers and possibly on their yearly calendar. The fun part of this is if you let them use your words and pictures they will send a $150.00 gift certificate to you for giving your permission. This is a great way to acquire extra coils and such for one's detector OR to have the machine worked on using the certificate to pay for the parts and such. The certificate can not be used to help purchase an entire detector. This is how I purchased the big Sierra coil for the GMT as well as a coil or two for my XLT. Have fun................63bkpkr

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread