I will eat your gold

Rick K

Jan 3, 2007
Gold Canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
ML SDC-2300, Fisher F-75, XP Deus,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
By Turkey Day I will have (hopefully) an SDC-2300. With it I plan to clean up all your favorite patches, finding everything your weaker technology missed!!

Are you angry yet?

OK, maybe I don't exactly know where your favorite patches are. But be on notice. If you have found gold somewhere before, and if the ground was highly mineralized and/or if there was significant EMI, then don't tell me where it was, because this new detector will EAT what you missed!m - Or so I have been convinced by what I have read.

Gosh, that was ugly, wasn't it. But you know what, it seems likely that there is a grain of truth in it. It seems that the SDC will find flocks of small (and maybe not so small) nuggets in places where prior technology has failed to detect small or porous gold.

Check back in 30 days to find out if I have gold or bull s**t.

Upvote 0

IMPDLN

Mar 18, 2014
Central Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2100 V-2, Gold Bug SE, SDC2300, GPX4500
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
LOL, nothing wrong with being enthusiastic !!! Get out there and dig it up. Don't get discouraged if you aren't successful right away. After all the pros make it look simple. Keep that attitude going and hit it hard and I have no doubt you will do well. Dennis

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just try and keep in mind the dealers are trying every trick in the book to get rid of the units they have in stock. They are even bundling them together with the GPX 5000, so they have the money and room for the new Minelab gold hunter coming out in the spring.

EccentricInTexas

Jan 14, 2013
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 11DD coil 11x15DD coil 6DD coil
Schiebel AN-19/2,
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro,
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like this is MineLabs answer to the Garrett ATX. You should keep track of what you find so you know when the Machine pays for itself. It does look like a mean machine!!!

OP
OP
Rick K

Rick K

Jan 3, 2007
Gold Canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terry,

you are right about Minelab's drive to clear inventory of GPX-5000 detectors. They are bundling them with SDC-2300’s and selling the combo at deep discounts. I didn't get one of these bundles because I believe the new GPZ-7000 which is coming in 2015 will replace the GPX-5000. I considered whether it was likely to inpact the future sales of SDC-2300’s (and therefore the eventual re-sale of mine) - my conclusion was that it wouldn't do that because of it's likely much higher price.

dave wiseman

Jul 23, 2004
Angels Camp,Ca.
The 2300 might be a great machine...but how good is the one that's waving the coil?The coil still has to be put over gold and the signal understood to find the yellow.

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Goldshlager.jpg

Just "STAY OFF MY PATCH!" hehh hehh

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wish you luck and hope you don't get too much indigestion eating all those nuggets. For sure let us know how the new detector works out for you.

Hamfist

Aug 1, 2014
SoCal
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Whippet, 151, GH, shovel, brain
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nothing finds the smallest shreds of .22 bullets like my SDC 2300. If you aren't finding them with yours, I've already been there!

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well all I have to say is "One may have the ability to buy a Ferrari F1, but does one posses the ability to use it correctly?"

Just poking good fun at ya, dig dig DIG those signals! :)

Hamfist: I love finding bullets and tiny tiny shards of .22's with my Nokta FORS Gold because if it were Gold, I would have found it and the FORS Gold finds TONS AND TONS of lead. :)
Now lets find a machine that can perform a little alchemy and we will be in business. :D

sgt tee

Dec 2, 2014
N.E.Pa.
Detector(s) used
1.Whites XLT

2.Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't want to know the exact place you are hunting for gold, But where would be a good place to get out and try to hunt for gold nuggets. Do you need a permit?? Is the land open to the public?? I was always interested in this type of hunting and I know its not easy to do. I just would like to know where to start. here in Pa. I don't think we have nuggets. I was told its all flour gold

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sgt tee, Welcome to the forum :) Feel free to post your question in a new thread here in the prospecting forum~ we are all busy poking fun and encouraging the gold eater to stay off our patches in this thread ;) Hahh. Read up a bit here and I think you'll find some interesting answers to your questions.

AZADAM

Jun 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, you got 13 days left before you eat your words.

OP
OP
Rick K

Rick K

Jan 3, 2007
Gold Canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So far, I need an alchemist. My SDC is a lead finding wonder! The iteresting things so far are:

it is not nearly as invunerable to EMI as I had expected from reading rave reviews of it. Overall, it is about the same as my SD-2100. The amount of threshold warble is virtually the same.

Although it is quier overall when bumping into rocks, stumps etc. it sounds off if it brushes the top of a small growing sprout of something. Perhaps a static discharge of some sort.

It has a clear sharp reaction to most targets with a minimum of reaction to ground.

it is very nearly as deep,as my SD-2100, to the point where I am reconsidering my original plan to keep the 2100 for hunting deeper nuggets.

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Interesting observation about the interference from plants but not rocks. If it is static, then maybe there is a way to continually discharge the static. Instead, my guess (pure speculation on my part) is the detector is so sensitive, that water in those plants is confusing the detector. I have seen the same thing with some detectors where moisture is a problem, especially after a short rain where the ground is wet on top and bone dry underneath. This is more of a problem with VLF than PI detectors, but I wonder if that is what is happening?

I was considering buying an SDC this summer and ended up getting a GPX5000. Your observations have helped me a little bit with my buyers remorse. I was questioning myself if I had made the right move. What I still like about the SDC is its portability. I still dislike having to put GPX battery on my back when I have an area that I want to quickly detect. It sounds like a small thing, but I find it frustrating to have to put on the webbing, rather than turn on and go like you do with most detectors.

The argument for keeping the 2100 is you could still keep it as your backup detector or one to lend out to a buddy who is joining you, plus it does have the benefit of taking multiple coils, whereas you are stuck with the stock coil on the SDC.

Don't chew all those nuggets you are finding. LOL

Last edited:

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
New tech is a wonderful thing isn't it?
I am finding more bullets than I ever have before with my Nokta FORS Gold.
I am happy to find bullets because I know that if it were gold, I would have found it. :)

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Interesting observation about the interference from plants but not rocks. If it is static, then maybe there is a way to continually discharge the static. Instead, my guess (pure speculation on my part) is the detector is so sensitive, that water in those plants is confusing the detector. I have seen the same thing with some detectors where moisture is a problem, especially after a short rain where the ground is wet on top and bone dry underneath. This is more of a problem with VLF than PI detectors, but I wonder if that is what is happening?

I was considering buying an SDC this summer and ended up getting a GPX5000. Your observations have helped me a little bit with my buyers remorse. I was questioning myself if I had made the right move. What I still like about the SDC is its portability. I still dislike having to put GPX battery on my back when I have an area that I want to quickly detect. It sounds like a small thing, but I find it frustrating to have to put on the webbing, rather than turn on and go like you do with most detectors.

The argument for keeping the 2100 is you could still keep it as your backup detector or one to lend out to a buddy who is joining you, plus it does have the benefit of taking multiple coils, whereas you are stuck with the stock coil on the SDC.

Don't chew all those nuggets you are finding. LOL

Have you thought of the light weight after-market battery packs that you attach to the side of your GPX? That way you don't have that heavy weight on your back? They're only a fraction of the weight. I have the setup on both my old 2100 and on my 5000, love it.

All the best,

Lanny

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
New tech is a wonderful thing isn't it?
I am finding more bullets than I ever have before with my Nokta FORS Gold.
I am happy to find bullets because I know that if it were gold, I would have found it. :)

Sorry to hear that you've been under the weather.

Hope you're now getting better chances to chase the gold.

All the best,

Lanny

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So far, I need an alchemist. My SDC is a lead finding wonder! The iteresting things so far are:

it is not nearly as invunerable to EMI as I had expected from reading rave reviews of it. Overall, it is about the same as my SD-2100. The amount of threshold warble is virtually the same.

Although it is quier overall when bumping into rocks, stumps etc. it sounds off if it brushes the top of a small growing sprout of something. Perhaps a static discharge of some sort.

It has a clear sharp reaction to most targets with a minimum of reaction to ground.

it is very nearly as deep,as my SD-2100, to the point where I am reconsidering my original plan to keep the 2100 for hunting deeper nuggets.

With all of the lead you're finding, I'd say that when you get that machine of yours over some gold, you should be able to start the party.

All the best,

Lanny

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
5000s all over for under $3500 to $2500.......folks are acting like they do with cars now. Each year jus' gotta have a nice new shiny unit hahahaha insanity. John

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread