redistributions of gold bearing stream and river gravel?s

AU79

Apr 24, 2004
It?s another cold rainy here in So Cal, with yet another Pacific storm forecast for tomorrow. The local streams and creeks have all over flowed, and the reservoirs are at capacity we have had 16.04 inches of rain so far this year and there are still four months left in the rain fall statistical season. Another10 inches and we will break the all record of 25.97 inches recorded in 1883. What is my point you say? All this rain has got me thinking about the possibility of large scale redistributions of gold bearing stream and river gravel?s in the Sierra Nevada?s for the 2005 summer melt. Anyone else have some thoughts or ideas on this subject?

Upvote 0

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sounds like you're right on track, and I really hope it roots out some nice gold for you. If you get a killer flood in the Spring--a flood that comes once every 100 years--you may get some beautiful redistribution of the gold from hillsides and feeder streams, and the flood may even have so much force that it cuts all the way to bedrock and redistributes that gold as well.

All the best,

Lanny in AB

Jim McCulloch

Mar 27, 2003
It has already happened, to varying degrees, here in the mountain/desert foothills of So. Cal. Many of my favorite but "worked out" auriferous washes are productive again after all these rains. As for major gold movement or replenishment in the Sierras, that would likely be contingent on HOW the snow melts. Slow melt, little if any movement. Fast melt, with extensive flooding, yes, plenty of potential gold movement. Hope this helps; HH jim

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Up here in northern calif. it's just so so.Ya really need them gully washers,tree falls,and landslides to rip and tear up the banks.Then it takes quite a few years to reconcentrate off a few hundred thousand tons a gravel and boulders to a good paystreak.I've claims I dredged over 10 years ago and some friends were trying out new dredge and didn't find a dime!!!Watching,and knowing a particular area are very important too.Tons a au 2 u 2-John

49er

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2005
Sun City, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites..MXT..GMT
Don't forget to check the local streams and gullies up in the foot hills. There are a lot of local places in the LA basin that hold gold.

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Dowsing Rods and a Ranger Tell Examiner
It takes two days of rain up on top from a warm pacific storm to turn the bottom over. Then it may put your gold on someone elses claim so be careful what you ask for........Art

P

parttime_miner

AU79

AFAIK, you are exactly right!

I have heard many a miner talk of the power of floods... About Flood gold, and about specific floods that have impacted their area.

For example... I have been told stories from a few miners about the great flood of 1964. Basically flooded out all of Northern California (and Southern Oregon) gold country. Recently, I read about the results of that 64 flood... back then, after the flood, in Yreka, a storm drain had a one pound nugget sittin on top.
(could have been different sized nugget... but it was big!)

Also, I have been told and read about floods moving boulders, and even relatively small mud slides moving boulders many many yards.... this would free up the yellow stuff.
So, I bet there are some newly exposed golden nuggets on the surface, just waiting to be found.

Gold country ain't gold country for nothin!
8)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions