Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Heya everyone;

Here is a video that I made of the Nokta RS Pinpointer.
It's an unboxing video so that you guys can get a better idea of what comes in the box, how to use it and what it sounds like (including the vibration mode.)
It is also a mini-review about it and my feelings.

This is a great and easy to use pinpointer for anyone looking to grab a pinpointer.

The vibration function is perfect in my opinion and can also be used as a quieter audio tone as it can be heard as it pulses the offset motor.
That's nice in case you want to not make too much noise. :)
For our hearing impaired friends this pinpointer makes a great accessory to the Nokta FORS series of detectors with vibration settings.

I have used it quite a bit after the unboxing and I do like it, it is very easy to use and sounds off very nicely.
When its time to put it back in its holster it slides in without any problems and I have not had it fall out on me yet.

I did lay this pinpointer down on a paper and traced the maximum signal range.
In the middle of the shaft you lose about 1/2" in distance from your target.
On Paper this makes the shape of a Gord.

Also a note of sensitivity.
Even on the #4 mode (Strongest setting) the pinpointer has greatly reduced sensitivity to small gold pickers around .5g.
The RS's strong points are Jewelry, relics and clad where it has VERY good sensitivity.

My personal idea's of the Pro's & Con's

Pros:

1.) Affordable everyday price of $129.95 @ KellyCo (KellyCo says the MSRP is $189 MSRP but Nokta's website says the MSRP is $129)
2.) 2 year warranty though I don't see that info on KellyCo's website. The pinpointer DOES come with the proper paperwork to fill out the 2 year warranty.
3.) If purchased through KellyCo's Ebay store you save .95 cents and have the option of purchasing 3 years of SquareTrade insurance for $20.99, this does not stack on the original warranty and is a quality 3rd party service. You can still purchase this insurance (Or whatever insurance Co you want) if you purchase directly through KellyCo. We prospect and are hard on our tool's, why not? :)
4.) 360 degree detection
5.) Lightweight design
6.) Easy to change 9v battery
7.) Sounds off loud and clear
8.) Vibration mode is very useful
9.) Powerful and auto tuning
10.) Super easy to use and change settings. When turned off the settings always go back to maximum sensitivity audio mode.
11.) Flashlight to light up dark holes (I got it to work! I just wasn't using it right. :D)

Cons:

1.) Its not fully waterproof. I am an underwater sniper and I would have loved to see this fully waterproof like the Whites TSX. Yes, you can use this in a drycase but when you figure the Whites is only $20 dollars more, then it starts to become a hard choice not to purchase the whites. The TSX will be my next pinpointer. NOW DONT GET ME WRONG, its great to have more than 1 pinpointer and above the water the RS is AWESOME!
2.) I don't think the nose can be replaced, at least I don't see replacement parts for it and nothing is mentioned about it. It does look like it can be easily separated to be replaced though. Maybe Nokta will offer that part.
3.) Can not easily control the Flashlight and intensity. Thanks for adding it, its very nice but dedicated controls would have been nice, more lumens are always welcome too.
4.) This is nitpicking and not a TRUE Con: The Warranty/serial number sticker is not in a protected place like inside the battery door. Over the next 2 years you are going to use this in the dirt, that sticker will probably fade, rip or simply fall off. Put Clear tape around it. Lightly wax the sticker first so that if you have to change the tape, it wont pull the sticker up too.
5.) If you don't have one yet!

Features:

• Auto Tuning
• Weight - 5.3oz
• Pinpoint Tip Detection
• Battery - 9v (Included)
• Battery Life - 40 hours
• 360 Side Scan Detection
• Waterproof Pinpointing Tip
• Rubber Coated On/Off Button
• Operating Frequency: 8.8 kHz
• New Audio and Vibration Alert
• Deluxe Belt Clip Case (Included)
• Dimensions(LxWxH) - 9.2 x 1.9x 1.1 inch
• Operating Temps: 32 Degrees to 158 Degrees (F)
• LED Flashlight Automatically Lights Up Dark Areas

Last edited:
Upvote 0

delnorter

Oct 28, 2008
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NeoTokyo, I'm not familiar with pinpointers. What is the range of the typical one. Are they responsive to actual (or very close) contact with a target, 1" or so away, more?

What I'm getting at is; would one be helpful in sniping (dry land) crevices?

Thanks,
Mike

OP
OP
NeoTokyo

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The range is usually around 2-3" when air testing, some have dead zones around the shaft and some do great and have 360 degree coverage around the entire shaft.
Cheapies like the Bounty Hunter are less than 1/2" and in some cases damn near touching before sounding off. The IPhone metal detector ap is more sensitive than the Bounty Hunter! lol

The RS would work great as a dry sniping pinpointer and even in water filled cracks as long as you didn't go above the neck to the body of the pinpointer.

I have some itty bitty chunkies that I will take another video on to show how and where they sound off, they are the kind of thing that you would find sniping crevices.

OP
OP
NeoTokyo

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here is a good video that Nokta made, they test it with a small picker at the start and you can see that the detection is limited when compared to the coil, but this is true with all pinpointers.

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great review! My two cents is most of the autotune pinpointers are really designed for coins and jewelry - they are really useful when detecting in grass parks. I have tried a few (Whites, Minelab & Garrett) for placer gold and for what I do, will now leave them at home. I would not pay extra for an extended warranty, as odds are it works out of the box and will either fail immediately or work until I do something dumb with it and break it or get it wet (neither one would be covered). The side scan is a nice feature for when you dig lots of dirt and spread it out - put the pinpointer on its side for a quick check to narrow down where the target may be and then upright to find exactly where it is.

OP
OP
NeoTokyo

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You are 100% correct.
I took some of my gold out tonight and tried a sensitivity test.
Sure enough the RS had reduced sensitivity to the small gold pickers.
The pickers that I used ranged from around .25g and .5g.

I have several silver coins and gold jewelry that I have found and did not notice much (if any) loss of sensitivity with the RS.
Of course the smaller the item, the poorer the sensitivity, but that is a given with any pinpointer or detector.

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
Are you still under the weather? Haven't seen any Fors swinging videos yet. Anxious to see how successful that unit is compared to the Gold Bug Pro

OP
OP
NeoTokyo

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Oak I actually feel pretty good today with only slight itching on my hands left. The red dots are all that is left, no blisters anymore.
As long as the rain doesn't kick up too hard I get a chance to go out at 2 today and detect till dark. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread