Which quad bike for towing a coil?

Lucky Eddie

Feb 9, 2010
Thinking that 2015 might FINALLY be "my year" where I finally buy a decent quad bike and Minleabs detector and make me a sled to take the coil and tow it around the outback looking for a little gold - since I'm now 'retired' and will have the time.

Not after the latest/newest most powerful quad, or any of the Chinese junk that will leave me stranded.

Maybe some kinda of Honda 4 stroke with low range 4wd, that will crawl along slow enough to emulate walking speed.

There's a Honda shop not far away and I noticed they have a row of about 20 or so "used" red quads outside that they have traded on new sales - so hopefully I can select something with relatively low km's that will be reliable and suit my need without spending "ridiculous $$$$' for it. If necessary I can go thru it and do a "restoration" to bring it back to as new status operationally.

The thing is knowing what model to buy... that is effective at finding gold - and not buying thew wrong one thru lack of experience and finding its not suitable.

Anyone care to suggest what one to look for?

Also - anything I need to know about the biggest best coil I should buy to fix to the sled?... for towing around the flat gibba plain country & dry salt lake beds etc of the West Ozzy outback?

Have been planning on doing something like this for a lot of years & now it's time to get on with it!.

TIA for any suggestions from anyone walked this particular rice-paper trail ahead of this grasshopper.

Upvote 0

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have no idea about towing a coil, but can comment on a bike. As far as a quad goes, you cannot go wrong with a 4x4 Honda (note - I did not say 2x4). CanAm also makes a good bike and I like the design of the brakes which are high up and don't freeze up as easily on cold nights. Most are a legal 2 up, so are better balanced when with a passenger. That said, I have a Yamaha 400 and the only criticism is it is a little bit lower than the other bikes, so can get hung up more often and it is manual shift. I had problems getting big boots under the shifter, so I put on a stick and shift it by hand. Still, auto like on the Honda is much better. If you are using a bike when it is cold out, heated handgrips are worth having. Adding a winch is well worth the investment for when you really get stuck (or your buddy does) or need to move a rock or tree. If you are alone, getting a winch with remote control is the "cat's Pajamas". Some newer bikes have power steering, which gets more important as you get older. On a used quad, pay attention to the rubber. Where I go, I need good mudders and they cost a little bit to replace, so it is wise to look for a bike that already has good tires. Bigger motors are generally better to have but not absolutely necessary. I have used a 250 in spots others had an 800. One other consideration is repairs. Buy a brand that has a shop near where you live and where you will be going, rather than one that getting parts or service will be a problem. Carry an extra spark plug. I have seen numerous times where somebody floods the engine and immediately burns out the plug. It is a 20 second fix if you have a spare. It is a nightmare if you end up having to walk out in the dark.

Good luck with your purchase.

californiagold

Aug 7, 2014
California goldfields
Detector(s) used
Makro Gold Racer, Nokta Fors gold plus, Makro racer2, Nokta fors gold, minelab gpx5000, fisher gold bug pro and many many others
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
not sure how much cash u want to spend but maybe they have a polaris ranger sidexside quad around. used would be cheaper. they make a ranger 400 or 500 would be good. i had a ranger 500 that i bought new. used it for some prospecting but mainly hunting. it never broke down once. sidexside quads have advantages over regular quads in a lot of catagories. besides power and such they have 2 seats for a buddy to go along without having to sit behind you which is illegal here. they have a truck type bed in the back for hauling up to 500 pounds. also have a switch for 1 or 2 or 4 wheel drive. 1 wheel drive turns around on a dime. they have high and low gear aswell. but they do cost more but maybe a used one would be economical. i had to sell my ranger 500 due to near future width restriction on forest land. had to get a narrower one. so now i have a rzr 570 le. so sidexside quad might be a good choice depending on your needs.

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The side by sides are really nice if they will work in your area and you have a way to move them to the site. That said, if you want to save $$ on something about the same size, an old 4x4 Suzuki Sidekick would also be an option.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
... :laughing7:

Attachments

• quad.jpg
    quad.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 107

Joe Z

Aug 18, 2012
New River AZ
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug 2,
Whites Goldmaster GMT,
Viper Vac, Tesoro Vaquero
and a 30 year old Radio Shack Detector :)
Primary Interest:
Other
I too was looking for a quad of some sort to get out in the wilderness. I friend said look into a suzuki Samurai which will go just about anywhere you want and you can still drive it home without having to tow a quad on a trailer.....
I found this and couldn't be happier with where this thing will take me.

Attachments

• top of hill 3 13.jpg
    top of hill 3 13.jpg
    990.8 KB · Views: 100

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Whoops, I meant Samurai, when I typed Sidekick.

Joe Z

Aug 18, 2012
New River AZ
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug 2,
Whites Goldmaster GMT,
Viper Vac, Tesoro Vaquero
and a 30 year old Radio Shack Detector :)
Primary Interest:
Other
Whoops, I meant Samurai, when I typed Sidekick.

Those samurai's are some vehicles....smaller than a jeep wrangler and get's into some really tight places the jeep can't. Just for added fun i installed a spartan Locker up front and raised it three inches with "Old Man Emu Springs" That's it..... the rest is stock and getting about 40mpg
As a side note it was fine without the upgrades

johnno481

Mar 11, 2010
I live in West Aussie and use a 250 Suzuki quad to tow a couple of coils. I have found it will go anywhere you are likely to want to go. A 250 Honda or Suzuki is all you will need and are the best as far as reliablity and service options. You definitely don't need a 4WD quad, it will just cost you more in purchase price and fuel. If you are going to tow a coil on a salt lake you need an anti interference coil, (preferably Coiltec 1000 cm x 500 cm). If not on a salt lake you could use a 30" x 7" patchfinder coil by Nugget Finder which will give you coverage and sensitivity.

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on retirement Eddie.

I bought a Polaris Sportsman 400 in 2001, and have used it hard to skid logs for my small sawmill, plow snow in a 2,000' driveway, and numerous hunting trips from the AZ desert, to 12,000' in the Colorado Rockies, and she never missed a beat.

I like the back-up pull start, sooner or later your battery will go dead, nice to have.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread