BLM info for No Cal/MD

Aerospace guy

Greenie
Jun 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking for info on BLM land anywhere near Toadtown or the whole county for that matter. Here where I MD in the El Paso mountains, the ground is "carpeted" in hot rocks! Is the ground in No Cal anymore "user friendly"...less hot rocks? Is it worth a trip for a few weeks to look for nuggets? Also in SoCal detailed maps are available of the area. I contacted the Redding office and got maps showing different BLM areas, but they said no detailed maps of specific BLM areas are available ....thru them at least. Ideas? Thanks

Upvote 0

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
If you want to find out about BLM land areas you can go to the following site: Welcome to Land Matters and get all the information you can use. Go to the maps page and click on the "Mining" tab on the right side of the page. Look for the California Claims and click on it. Not only will you get a map that shows you every placer and lode mine in the state, but if you click on the "Land Management" box and then refresh the map (the button that looks like two arrows chasing each other in a circle NOT the browser refresh button!!!!) it will load a layer that shows you who is in charge of any given area. Orange is BLM, Blue is State, Brown is Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA) etc. You can zoom in to any area, get aerial views. If you run into problems just hit the "HELP" button and full instructions will open up in a new window.

The Gilded Lens

Oct 13, 2014
The Sierra Nevadas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 14" Pan, Garrett 15" Super Sluice Pan, Bazooka 36" Sniper,
Hand Dredge
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have yet to go metal detecting (it's on my list) but the NorCal ground is heavily mineralized. I've heard of many hot rocks. Even our dirt is red colored with iron in most places. Plus, you will hit tons of iron and stuff from our Gold Rush days. Only advice I can give is come on up, but dig every target even if you have buckets of rocks and rusty square nails. You never know!

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Looking for info on BLM land anywhere near Toadtown or the whole county for that matter. Here where I MD in the El Paso mountains, the ground is "carpeted" in hot rocks! Is the ground in No Cal anymore "user friendly"...less hot rocks? Is it worth a trip for a few weeks to look for nuggets? Also in SoCal detailed maps are available of the area. I contacted the Redding office and got maps showing different BLM areas, but they said no detailed maps of specific BLM areas are available ....thru them at least. Ideas? Thanks

What detector are you using? Could be that the issue is the machine
simply does not operate well in heavily mineralized soil.

TrinityBigfoot

Aug 20, 2012
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, Gold Bug II, Whites TRX Pointpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have tried going out prospecting with a Whites V3i and found way too many hot rocks. There were so many I gave up and went back to panning. I'm going back out next day off that isn't raining. I'm going to try again with the V3i and the Fisher Gold Bug 2. I hope to find something:)

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Which Toadtown are you speaking of? I can't speak of the others but the one in Butte County is a good area for metal detecting. This Toadtown is very near the BLM rec area but not a part of it.
About the hot rocks, yep we got them too and hot spots as well but nothing out of the norm that makes it so miserable as to not detect. All depends on you and your machine, I'm tone deaf and can't hear so I do more digging then the average detectorist.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread