Nokta Scores Spectacular Gold Specimen

Steve Herschbach

Apr 1, 2005
Nevada
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I held off on posting about this one for a bit while I got around to some unfinished business. Since my move from Alaska I have been slow to get another safe deposit box set up. I have always had one for my gold and other important valuables. The problem with posting about this stuff on the internet is it can attract the wrong kind of attention. This is something I would encourage everyone to think about. Now that all my gold and other goodies are residing at Wells Fargo I feel a little more free to post about this.

Chris Ralph and I were prospecting in Northern California not too long ago. I was running the Nokta FORS Gold and concentrating on some areas littered with square nails, cable bits, rusted cans, and other ferrous junk. There were places the Nokta running in dual tone DI2 mode sounded like a machine gun from ferrous low tones. I would go along with the detector going "putt - putt - putt - putt - putt - beep - putt" and on hearing that beep, stop to dig a bullet or some other non-ferrous item.

The weather was a bit wet but not unpleasant; kind of brings the forest smells out and makes for softer walking. I was afraid we were going to get rained out but it keep just on the edge of really starting up. There was not much sign of detecting, no doubt due to all the trash. Chris was off hitting some bedrock with his detector while I wandered around in the trees and duff overlying the old tailing materials.

There was a bit of a mound around the base of a tree and I swept around it getting ferrous tones, when all of the sudden I get a strong non-ferrous beep. I looked down at the target id displayed on the end of the FORS Gold handle and it was showing 82. I thought "That's odd, a coin." I was still not tuned in one what the numbers meant exactly on the Nokta but on a typical 1-100 scale an 82 would be something like a penny or a dime. I have yet to find a really decent old coin since moving south, so I thought I was maybe going to dig some nice silver.

I gave a couple digs and was surprised to see nothing pop up. Hmmm... must be bigger, deeper. So I open the hole up and dig deeper, and this dirty gray lump pops out of the ground.

My exact thought "you have got to be kidding me!" It was a filthy lump but I knew instantly it was gold. I could not believe my good fortune. I got out my water bottle and washed it off a bit and saw gold and large chunks of white quartz - I had found something really special. After cleaning it ended up as 1.83 ounces of stunning gold and quartz that would do a museum proud. Just a really spectacular specimen, the best I have ever found. I won't claim that only the Nokta would have found it because any good detector would have. Yet I do think this is a case where a good discriminating VLF detector proved to be of benefit in approaching an area that might cause most pulse induction operators to wander off in another direction.

I thought this post would be a fine way to wrap up my nugget detecting finds for 2014 in anticipation of the New Year. I want to offer special thanks to Chris Ralph for being my guide and mentor while I learn my way around the Lower 48. I literally could not have done this without him. Thanks Chris! I also wish each and every one of you a fantastic nugget laden 2015. Happy Hunting!

Attachments

• 2013_1-83_oz_gold_nugget_no_ca.jpg
    2013_1-83_oz_gold_nugget_no_ca.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 205
Last edited:
Upvote 0

57chevy

Oct 4, 2014
The West
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000 D Looking to find enough to replace it.
Replaced it with a Garrett 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find. I would really love to find something like this. One word on banks and safe deposit boxes. They are not to be trusted. In the last few years, banks have been looting safe boxes and selling the contents. Their lame excuse is that their records showed that the box had been abandoned. Even though people had still been paying the fees on time.

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got a ripper there Steve :thumbsup: Thanks for the gold p*rn and the lesson on VLF, that Nokta seems to be working out well :)
I hope you have yet another Golden season!

TrinityBigfoot

Aug 20, 2012
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, Gold Bug II, Whites TRX Pointpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find! I hope we can all find at least 1/10th of what you find:)

Rutnbuck

Jun 26, 2005
No. Utah
Detector(s) used
whites xlt, Goldbug2,
Maybe one day you will find a nice specimen if you keep looking. Like the ones I have not found. What a prize you rock man congrats. Thanks for sharing!!

OP
OP
Steve Herschbach

Steve Herschbach

Apr 1, 2005
Nevada
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WOW that is nice..The NOKTA is doing good for you...

Hi Keppy,

Well, you know how it is - the Nokta was just the detector I happened to be swinging at the time. That is the funny thing about the most common question in detecting "what detector were you using". In most cases, it makes absolutely no difference. There are only a few detectors that have found me targets that I felt like no other detector would have worked. The real trick is getting over good targets!

Jim Hemmingway

Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Detector(s) used
F-75, Infinium LS, MXT, GoldBug2, TDI Pro, 1280X Aquanaut, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi Steve… thankyou for sharing your gold hunting adventure, it was a very enjoyable and interesting read. Congratulations on finding an exquisitely beautiful specimen, I would probably try to rob you if I could… so it was prudent of you to engage the services of Wells Fargo.

But in the absence of the potential for a ‘break and enter’ scenario, or having the chance to speak directly to you on the forums again this calendar year, we would like to wish you Happy Holidays, and our very best wishes for every success in the forthcoming New Year. :)

Jim.

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Oh my GOSH That thing is BEAUTIFUL!
A Super Big Congrats on that find. :)

I am heading out tomorrow afternoon to a new area suggested to me out by Keswick.
Wish me luck out there. :)

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi Keppy,

Well, you know how it is - the Nokta was just the detector I happened to be swinging at the time. That is the funny thing about the most common question in detecting "what detector were you using". In most cases, it makes absolutely no difference. There are only a few detectors that have found me targets that I felt like no other detector would have worked. The real trick is getting over good targets!
Steve . I understand what your saying it could have been any detector that found that as long as it got over the gold..BUT you really do find some nice chunks of gold.. And i always like to see them . And you find nice Gold with many different detector brands.

OP
OP
Steve Herschbach

Steve Herschbach

Apr 1, 2005
Nevada
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Keppy,

Anyone that follows my posts over the years will see a pattern. I go out of my way to rotate finds with different detectors. I am trying to send a message - it is the prospector making the finds, not the detector. The best detector in the world will not make up for poor prospecting skills. Whereas a good prospector should be able to use any decent machine and find gold. Anybody that swears only one machine is any good is either not any good at detecting or prospecting or both.

It is all about good locations and hard work. The tool may be a pan, a sluice, a dredge, or a metal detector. But location and hard work is the key. I invest a lot of money and time into researching and accessing good locations because that is the key to my success, and then I work my tail feathers off once I get there.

Armchair prospector

Jul 31, 2011
Amen to that. I am guilty of the same as lots out there. If you aren't willing to put in the work and effort the best equipment is useless. Be careful what you post as the IRS just loves to see that.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Steve Herschbach

Steve Herschbach

Apr 1, 2005
Nevada
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
All my sales of gold as income and all my expenses are properly reported to the IRS. I have been running my prospecting and metal detecting as a for profit business since 1980 and almost never show a loss. So I pay my fair share of taxes and then some. They can audit me whenever they want and I will probably get a refund!

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi Keppy,

Anyone that follows my posts over the years will see a pattern. I go out of my way to rotate finds with different detectors. I am trying to send a message - it is the prospector making the finds, not the detector. The best detector in the world will not make up for poor prospecting skills. Whereas a good prospector should be able to use any decent machine and find gold. Anybody that swears only one machine is any good is either not any good at detecting or prospecting or both.

It is all about good locations and hard work. The tool may be a pan, a sluice, a dredge, or a metal detector. But location and hard work is the key. I invest a lot of money and time into researching and accessing good locations because that is the key to my success, and then I work my tail feathers off once I get there.
That is the way to do it .. The times i worked for myself i paid all the tax's on my income. And in the long run it worked out better for me.

Armchair prospector

Jul 31, 2011
Your post should have been "Steve scores spectacular gold specimen" using a Fors Gold detector. Like you said it is the operator. I'm glad to hear you say you pay your fair share in taxes as that as many that are falling off the unemployment safety net are working under the table especially with 10 or 15 million undocumented out there. Makes it hard to follow the law with the way things are run. If you come to Cal. before the new year make sure you fill up as a new gas tax goes into effect.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread