First MD

Duckwalk

Mar 21, 2014
Lincolnton North Carolina
Detector(s) used
30" Bazooka Sniper, Drop Riffle sluice box.
Various Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just bought my first MD from amazon yesterday and it should be here next week. it was on the cheaper side but has great reviews and many comments saying its hitting stuff 6" deep, which is plenty for me to learn on. A little disappointed that it runs on 9volts but maybe i can get a charger for them. Wish me luck!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002J1LNO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

PS: any advice on use or MDing in general is welcomed.

Upvote 0

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Good Luck. Hit the sidelines of the local soccer field where the coins slip out....

OP
OP
Duckwalk

Duckwalk

Mar 21, 2014
Detector(s) used
Various Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ooooo good call! Need took on a non game day though lol

Was the md I bought worth the money?

Jim Hemmingway

Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Detector(s) used
F-75, Infinium LS, MXT, GoldBug2, TDI Pro, 1280X Aquanaut, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ooooo good call! Need took on a non game day though lol

Was the md I bought worth the money?

Hi Duckwalk... not having used that model I can't say whether it was worth the inexpensive price. You should be able to answer that question better than anyone, once you've had a chance to learn the detector and see if it performs satisfactorily to you.

I think the best plan is that you head to a beach area or volleyball court for the first few outings. This is a good place for you to learn how the detector operates, how to pinpoint a signal, and to practice target retrieval. Or practice in your own backyard if one is available to you.

The idea is to learn to minimize damage when you are digging holes in grass lawns such as will be the case at parks, picnic groves and so on. And please remember to always fill in your holes in such a manner as to leave as little (preferably no evidence) evidence of your target retrieval as possible. There should be additional information on this subject in your manual.

Don't forget to wear your headphones. Such permits you to hear signals better, and you will avoid annoying people nearby who will not want to hear your detector 'beeping'. Headphones also ensure that your target signals are known only to you. Good luck!!!! :icon_thumleft:

Jim.

TheGoldProspector

Apr 14, 2014
Gold Country - California
Detector(s) used
-Keene A52 - Fab2.5 Highbanker - GoldNSand Hand Dredge

Garrett AT Pro - Bazooka Gold Trap 30" Prospector - Garrett Ace 250 - Blue Bowl Concentrator
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Always good tips from JH!

TrinityBigfoot

Aug 20, 2012
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, Gold Bug II, Whites TRX Pointpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used one of these or something that looked almost like this one. It worked pretty good. It doesn't have a lot of features, but missing those features are not going to stop the fun. See if you can find a pin-pointer to go with this. It's not 100% needed, but can speed up the recovery process. When I used it, I was at the beach looking for coins.

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good luck with your new toy. I think you will find the batteries last quite a long time and it is not a good idea to use rechargeables, as that can affect the detector stability. Instead, buy a couple of quality 9 volts and you are good to go.

OP
OP
Duckwalk

Duckwalk

Mar 21, 2014
Detector(s) used
Various Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Good I was afraid I was going to have to replace them after every outing

californiagold

Aug 7, 2014
California goldfields
Detector(s) used
Makro Gold Racer, Nokta Fors gold plus, Makro racer2, Nokta fors gold, minelab gpx5000, fisher gold bug pro and many many others
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Amazon sells 9 volt battery chargers that will charge alkaline 9 volts. I had 20 or so 9 volt batteries when i bought mine couple years ago, and i havent bought a battery since. Around $25. Good luck

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Duckwalk, my 2 cents worth - since you are looking for "stuff" in town you must think about where people congregate, adults as well as children.

The tallest trees in town indicate the most likely oldest areas in town, at least the oldest trees left in town. Children climb trees, adults a lot less often. When you hang upside down well, gravity acts on what is able to move in ones pockets. Adults head for the shade of trees to sit and think, read, sleep, etc. So trees can be a friend though sometimes the roots are pockets of mineralization, just depends if your detector will pick up the root.

Old maps, as in historical ones like from the USGS, will show you what towns looked like some time long ago and they can be useful...............Best of Luck - 63bkpkr

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Well in my limited experience with detecting and detectors you pretty much get what ya pay for. I would not expect the greatest performance out of it Ducky. Still it should be good for learning with until you can upgrade to a better one. You should be able to pick up coins and maybe jewelery with it but as a nugget detector I have a feeling that you're going to find it lacking.

OP
OP
Duckwalk

Duckwalk

Mar 21, 2014
Detector(s) used
Various Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Oh i wasnt even planning on finding "raw" gold with it. the only stuff in my area is flypoop (which im sure wouldnt register on hardly anything let alone a $60 detector) Im using it for coins, jewelry and things of that nature. Going to attempt to help out the community with it. may ask the police department if anyone has reported lost jewelry in public areas to see if i can help.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Don't forget civil war relics for your area if that has not already occurred to you. Careful if you find unexploded ordinance.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread