best khz for gold

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
19 kHz, generally
although the Fisher Goldbug II operates at 71-72 (?) kHz

OP
OP

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
I was just wondering I see every machine is different.you would think after all this time one would stand out.thanks for the 19khz.
my whites mxt is 14 and my gmz is50
thanks brad

Hemisteve

Feb 21, 2008
N. Nevada
Detector(s) used
Goldmaster V/Sat and MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Paging Dave J, Woof! Woof!, Paging Dave J.
I imagine he will be on here soon.

Simply put, Higher KHz machines like the gold masters, gold bugs and others find smaller gold. They also find iron fragments so small that if you don't have a magnet on your pick you will go crazy digging targets.
The Falcon MD's run around 300 KHz and can find ridiculously small pieces.

Back in the day, the silver killing detectors ran around 8 to 10 KHz. The optimum frequency for silver.

I am guessing that todays manufacturers are running their units around 15 to 20 as a good compromise for all in one detectors.

Going by memory here, so someone better educated than myself correct me if I an wrong.

Vance in AK

Feb 15, 2010
Kenai, Alaska
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB II. Whites GM II.
In my part of Alaska small gold & mild ground is the norm. My Fisher GB II & Whites GM II with 6" coils are hard to beat. Both are high frequency detectors & work great for my conditions, but may not for yours. I do have 10&14" coils for the GM II & a 10" for the GBII & that helps on more minieralized. Ground if I leave my home area.

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As I understand it, the frequency is only one part of the equation, as there are other variables that are not fixed. eg. size or depth of gold, mineralization, coil size & type, moisture, phase of the moon (just kidding), etc. Lower frequency is generally better on conductive metals like silver & the longer wavelength gets better depth. Higher frequency is somewhat better on low conductivity metals (like gold and iron), better on small targets but more sensitive to ground mineralization. A detector in the middle is a compromise. In the field, what works best in one small spot can change just a few feet away, let alone across the country. I also understand that multi-frequency gold nugget detectors don't necessarily solve this problem either.

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The Nokta FORS Gold is 15khz. :)

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Keep in mind that it's not just the frequency, but also the
processors, firmware and an efficient coil design that make
the machine perform.

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very true dizzy. Otherwise, the knockoff detectors if they operate at the correct frequency would be taking the world by storm. Instead, they don't perform and waste the owners time and money.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread