New Makro Racer

Steve Herschbach

Apr 1, 2005
Nevada
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Since that link to Findmall probably will not last, here is the link to the TreasureNet Nokta/Makro Forum where the latest information on the new Makro Racer can be found Nokta and Makro

I have my eye on this one. Nokta and Makro are sister companies. Makro is introducing two new models, the Racer for the general market, and the Gold Racer for the prospectors. The new Racer promises to offer performance similar to the FORS CoRe and FORS Gold in a light weight, more modern design. I for one really like my FORS Gold but would appreciate a machine that weighs less and has a "in my face" control panel. Nothing wrong with the FORS way of doing things, these are just my personal preferences.

The Racer will be a hair lower frequency at 14 kHz than the 15 kHz FORS models. This may make it play a bit nicer on salt water beaches. The one I am really looking at that everyone else is ignoring is the Gold Racer model. Racer should be out by late February. Gold Racer is actually a different model and so is still under development to determine the best frequency to use. The Racer will come with an open spoke 11" x 7" DD coil. The Gold Racer will come with the traditional gold prospecting closed design 10" x 5.5" DD coil.

Racer has a base model with 11" x 7" coil for $649, and a Pro Package with two coils, the 11" x 7" DD plus a small 4.7" x 5.2" DD, carry bag, rechargeable batteries, and more for $849. There will also be an optional Bluetooth module that plugs into the control housing away from the headphone jack.

If the Gold Racer equals or exceeds the performance of the FORS Gold for prospecting in a less expensive 3 lb package, look out. I am very happy with the decision to make the 10" x 5.5" DD the stock coil on the Gold Racer. The small DD coil will also be a great prospecting option and so if packaged together as a Pro Package this could be a killer prospecting combination at a really great price.

Attachments

• makro-racer-metal-detector-large-studio.jpg
    makro-racer-metal-detector-large-studio.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 404
  • makro-racer-lcd-display-functions-large.jpg
    makro-racer-lcd-display-functions-large.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 333
  • makro-racer-product-sheet.jpg
    makro-racer-product-sheet.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 330
Last edited:
OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Steve, correct me if I'm wrong here, but are we seeing some of these specialized prospecting machines also being deigned/engineered to general hunting at an acceptable, if not improved level, as well?

Steve Herschbach

Apr 1, 2005
Nevada
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The European machines are doing very well with fast recovery times and the ability to pull non-ferrous items out of thick ferrous trash. The sweet spot for the companies these days are "do-it-all" detectors running around 13 -19 kHz and selling for around $700 give or take a bit. So you have the Garrett AT Gold, Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold, Tesoro Lobo, White's MXT, and now Makro Racer models all aimed squarely at that sweet spot.

The hype is endless as are the legions of fans determined to defend the honor of their chosen machine. From my perspective VLF 15 kHz is old school stuff that any decent manufacturer can master easily. Put any one of them in my hands, I will go find gold. Performance of all of them in all metal mode is extremely close. The machines differ most in the coil they come with, which has the biggest impact on how they differ out of box. That, and the check list of "other features". For instance, the AT Gold is waterproof to 10 feet. That could be the key feature there. The X-Terra 705 has discrimination tone and notch options equaling much more expensive machines, that could be the key there for somebody. The Gold Bug Pro appeals more to simplicity of design.

Given then that in my opinion I can find gold about as well with each of them, my goal is simply to find the one that has the features that appeal to me personally. I used to be the biggest MXT fan around, but that was then and this is now. I do not find VLF detectors that weigh over 4 lbs to be acceptable in the 21st century. They do not need to weigh nothing, as proper balance is also very important to me. But the MXT and the Nokta FORS models do not score points with me by weighing in at 4.3 lbs (the Nokta published specs are incorrect). Do not get up in arms, defenders of the faith! Just my expression of a personal preference I have.

There is nothing wrong with any of these machines so you need to find the balance of features that appeals to you. The audio. You have to listen to the thing 8 hours a day. Does your ear like it? Or hate it? I would not own a machine based strictly on not liking the audio qualities. And coils, never forget coil options. How many, and what do they cost? Very important as coils do more to customise your detecting capability than anything else.

Sometimes to get the performance I want I have to hold my nose and use machines I think are poorly designed in some ways. I will never, ever let up on Garrett for thinking desert prospectors might have a need for a 7 pound waterproof detector. I have an ATX and have a lot of good things to say about it, but there needs to be another model made specifically for desert prospecting. Until then I will hold my nose and swing seven pounds of waterproof around in the desert.

Mid frequency VLF I have enough choices now to not have to hold my nose. I can pretty much demand what I want and get close to it. I want a certain mix of features in a simple, lightweight package. The upcoming Gold Racer in many ways might have been designed specifically for me. You can learn what I want in the way of a detector just by looking at it. But that is me, that is my preferences. The real question is - what are yours?

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread