Big Nuggets

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No. Sorry to say that I don't have any. However, with snow falling all around and the ground as hard as steel, I have been browsing about trying to locate different regions in the US that have a history of producing good sized nuggets. Seems a few regions in California lead the pack but so little to go on. :dontknow:

So here's my question to you guys in the know.....if you had to recommend one source that explains the various forming of placer gold deposits and pursuing them with a detector, A) is there a good one source, and B) where can I find it?

I understand the basics of placer deposits and such, but was just curious if there's a source that gets into the locating of potentially larger croppings?

Upvote 0

ianSF

Apr 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Here's a cool old book that lists a bunch of the giant nuggets found during the glory days of the California gold rush along with the mine or creek where they were found. The whole book is interesting reading. The nugget info starts on page 91.

California Gold Book: First Nugget, Its Discovery and Discoverers (1893)

https://archive.org/details/californiagoldb00avergoog

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There are just a handful of states that produce large gold nuggets on a regular basis. There is no ONE source for the information you seek. You need to consult dozens of sources - both historic and modern. If it was easy, any dumbazz could get rich.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I would suggest that after researching and finding where many decent to larger sized Gold Nuggets have been found, note these areas on Tertiary Stream Maps and Alluvial Deposit Maps that you download and printout. This combined information can help you locate where some of the larger deposits were, is or should be.

Frank

clv

Dec 23, 2012
santee, ca
Detector(s) used
Current Detectors; Minelab Safari, Equinox 600
TRX Pin Pointer, Fisher 1235x
Have owned; Minelab Eureka gold,
Tesoro Compadre, White's MX5, GMT, MXT Pro,
fisher cz7a pro, go fine 20, Garret Ma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All the gold on earth came from space it was form in the heart of super novas. It was deposited on earth at the time the planet formed. So that's where the gold came from.

clv

Dec 23, 2012
santee, ca
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where it's now is a little harder.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
All the gold on earth came from space it was form in the heart of super novas. It was deposited on earth at the time the planet formed. So that's where the gold came from.

I will remember that the next time I go Super Nova prospecting!

Frank

clv

Dec 23, 2012
santee, ca
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will remember that the next time I go Super Nova prospecting!

Frank

Just remember your shades, as it can be quite bright there!8-)

RockRaven

Jan 19, 2015
South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Compass Challenger X80, Magnum 420, 220, RM6, Coin Mag, 77B, Yukon Nugget, Teknetics Delta 4000, Garrett AT Gold. Master Hunter ADS 7, CXII, Bounty Hunter Big Bud Pro 220, TR550, 840 Auto , Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Historical gold rushes are the place to start. Wikipedia is always a good starting place for general information. North Carolina, Georgia, then California had some of the earlier North American gold rushes. Colorado, Alaska, South Dakota, there are many areas where people pursued the dream of wealth when times were hard. After an area is located and determined to be of interest, simply searching on the internet for the place name combined with the word placer can bring great results. Libraries and the various geological surveys, state, province, or national, can lead to more intense and rewarding study. Research is not the only way to get results, if learning LR2000 and studying local history does not sound like your cup of joe then join an organization with claims. GPAA is one of the largest, but there are also many local outfits that can be found by searching the net for prospector's associations. A few "resorts" in Alaska even have claims that guests can hunt on as part of a nugget-shooting vacation, although I do not know specifics about Australia certainly that continent is very much the land of big nuggets and it may be possible to go there as well. If you are looking to hunt where others have not used detectors, expect to spend many many hours reading history and taking notes, chasing every lead you find, just like every other kind of serious metal detecting for treasure. Of all the things that might be attempted, if you have interest in finding a "new" gold deposit, spend years learning mining geology, get a degree or the equivalent by studying and collecting rocks, learn sampling and every other aspect of prospecting, then add in a huge dose of luck because you will need it :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread