Minelab GPX Obsolete - no parts to fix?

Featherdfishead

Apr 4, 2014
Callahan-ScottValley-Salmon River, Ca
Detector(s) used
Primarily Minelab SDC 2300
and Gold Bug Pro with NEL Sharpshooter, Grey Ghost Phones, an EzSluice, a good Pan, various Diggn Tools, and a Good'Ol Dog or Two
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just read on a respected forum that Minelab says they will be unable to repair GPXs due to lack of parts thus rendering them obsolete. Understandable to a degree but far to convenient that it happens at the same time the 7000 hits the shelves. For guys running GPX's for many years this may be ok, but for the guys that just bought one since they've been selling much cheaper latley are kinda screwed unless they find a good mod guy. Personally i'm yet to commit to a PI machine due to their being so expensive but do keep an eye on the market because i do want one in the future; My rule is i must find the gold to pay for anything i buy mining related. Minelab makes wonderful products but their is allot of people out their using the GPXs and i just dont see them all being able to switch to the 7000 or the SDC, maybe i'm wrong. Seems the time for another company to release a reasonable priced PI for prospecting.
AjR

Upvote 0

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It may very well not be Minelab's fault at all. If they've been
buying the parts from a manufacturer that is no longer going
to produce them, and there is no secondary source, then Minelab
has little choice in the matter.

With Minelab changing technologies in their detectors, it would be
very likely that a manufacturer can no longer make a profit on producing
replacement/repair parts. When Minelab's stock runs out, then there
are no more parts to be had.

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't see how lack of parts makes any of the ML detectors obsolete. People are still swinging 2000's and repairs can be had for most all major problems with any
of the detectors. There's going to be people who can fix things for some time to come. That or cannibalize :) ML dropping its support for their newer detectors is just what ML has always done. Its a piss poor attitude but not one that's unexpected. I don't think lack of parts should affect a decision to pick up one of their products.

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
If there is a market for aftermarket parts, someone will step up and fill it, for a price. Lots of guys on the OZ forums fix or hot rod older ML
s

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just read on a respected forum that Minelab says they will be unable to repair GPXs due to lack of parts thus rendering them obsolete. Understandable to a degree but far to convenient that it happens at the same time the 7000 hits the shelves. For guys running GPX's for many years this may be ok, but for the guys that just bought one since they've been selling much cheaper latley are kinda screwed unless they find a good mod guy. Personally i'm yet to commit to a PI machine due to their being so expensive but do keep an eye on the market because i do want one in the future; My rule is i must find the gold to pay for anything i buy mining related. Minelab makes wonderful products but their is allot of people out their using the GPXs and i just dont see them all being able to switch to the 7000 or the SDC, maybe i'm wrong. Seems the time for another company to release a reasonable priced PI for prospecting.
AjR

One possible solution....... Go ATX or TDI SL

OP
OP
Featherdfishead

Featherdfishead

Apr 4, 2014
Callahan-ScottValley-Salmon River, Ca
Detector(s) used
Primarily Minelab SDC 2300
and Gold Bug Pro with NEL Sharpshooter, Grey Ghost Phones, an EzSluice, a good Pan, various Diggn Tools, and a Good'Ol Dog or Two
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Point taken Terry. Obsolete may not have been the word - unsupported may have been better. I guess i'm such a cheap *ss that it still just amazes me that Ml products are so spendy.
Hardprospector - how do you like your Tdi Sl?
AjR

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The TDI SL and the Sierra Pulse Pro (so far as nugget shooting is concerned) are one and the same only difference is price. Unfortunately, both units come with search coils not ideally suited for nugget shooting (either the 12" DF spider or 12" mono) so changing out the loops right from the start is a must. Its been my experience that the Whites TDI 7.5" Mono Aussi or the Jimmy Sierra 9"x5.5" TDI search coils work great on small gold. This machine has been so good to me that I haven't felt the need to buy a ATX or SDC2300 but having said that, the TDI matched with the right coil is key to its effectiveness.

Last edited:

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Featheredfishead,

ML are "spendy" because they literally lead the field, and everybody plays catchup. While some detector manufacturers have yet to bring a PI machine to market, ML is moving to the next step with Zero Voltage Transmission (ZVT). White's was missing the boat so badly for a while, that they had to hire Eric Foster, and use his designs for their pulse machines. The reason for that is that ML had all the patents on their Pulse Technology. Foster had a different method of pulse transmission, so instead of waiting five or six years to sort out their own, they used Foster and his design. Don't get me wrong. I love White's. Love the company. You just can't argue with the success ML has had.

Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread