California Dreaming

TrinityBigfoot

Aug 20, 2012
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, Gold Bug II, Whites TRX Pointpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been out metal detecting for gold a few times and have had no luck. I usually try to dig everything the detector sounds off on. I have hypothetical question. I don't want this to turn into a brand bashing thing or any brand specific thing. What's the potential depth of finding 5lb+ gold nuggets with Vlf type detector? Would it be possible to get a signal from large chunk of gold at 14-16 inches? (From a Vlf detector). I have been trying to find a large piece of lead to test my detectors with. What's your thoughts?

Upvote 0

auferret

Sep 25, 2007
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Sunray DX-1
Falcon MD20
Garrett Seahunter Mark II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I look forward to the responses as I have wondered the same thing. You can buy lead dive weights at a dive shop or on line.

OP
OP
TrinityBigfoot

TrinityBigfoot

Aug 20, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After reading around some I read about The Hand of Faith Nugget. It was 875 oz's and was found with a Metal Detector. The story says it was about 8" deep. I would suspect that a modern quality detector should be able to handle an large chuck of gold at 12+ inches.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From recent reports it will sound like a big piece of trash..Dig it all!!!!!!

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I should also add that with both my old goldmaster and my GB Pro I have found beer/soda cans at 12" +

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
875 oz's is a lot of mineralization. sorry I just could not stop myself...................63bkpkr

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Rumor has it that the 5 pound Butte Nugget was found with a VLF (if anyone knows for sure what detector it was please sound off)

OP
OP
TrinityBigfoot

TrinityBigfoot

Aug 20, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not really looking to place any detector over another. However that's kind of the information I was looking for. It's good to know that all of us with a VLF's still have a chance.

californiagold

Aug 7, 2014
California goldfields
Detector(s) used
Makro Gold Racer, Nokta Fors gold plus, Makro racer2, Nokta fors gold, minelab gpx5000, fisher gold bug pro and many many others
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
if you want to know how far a big nugget can be detected it depends on a million factors. but i have dug bigger nuggets over a foot. try standing 6-8 foot from your vehicle and wave it past. guess if the nugget was as big as a truck door. it would pick it up at 6-8 feet. i also dug a 3/4 barrel lid a couple feet before with gb 2 . thought it might be a mining relic. lol

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
gpz (died in a fire. rip)
Primary Interest:
Other
i dont doubt a vlf would detect a pounder a foot deep, my question is would it trick the discrimination on a vlf? for example the fors gold, would it give a low tone because of the overwhelming signal?

OP
OP
TrinityBigfoot

TrinityBigfoot

Aug 20, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The more I think about this I think that one would get a nice overload signal. Once I dug an quarter at 11". I thought for sure it was a silver quarter.... It was a 1966. That was over the summer at a lake bed that was down about 150". That was also in a discriminate mode. A all metal mode should give slightly better depth. I need to test this with lead...

californiagold

Aug 7, 2014
California goldfields
Detector(s) used
Makro Gold Racer, Nokta Fors gold plus, Makro racer2, Nokta fors gold, minelab gpx5000, fisher gold bug pro and many many others
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
nope, wont trick any discrimination. it would be a strong signal still at a foot deep. if it was on fors gold or gold bug pro. it would be a higher target id like 70-80 because of size. small gold,lead,brass,foil,copper,etc
go off 40's target id. little bigger 50-60's even bigger 70-90. it would never go off like iron. if you are using d-3 mode on fors gold. gold will be a low tone. silver high tone. but with fors if the nugget is big enough it will ring off at a high tone like silver because the target id will be above 80. ive tried it with some of my bigger gold from the past. iron in d-3 mode will grunt. so you dig the low and high tones not grunts. unless it grunts and beeps a low tone. it could be a piece of gold that is deeper. almost out of range. so the detector can tell yet on a consistent signal. good luck

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
gpz (died in a fire. rip)
Primary Interest:
Other
i noticed in boost mode you can tell the difference between coins/foil etc. and lead (havnt found gold yet) the lead is a softer tone, as i would think gold gives an identical signal. still dig all the high tones though, and all deep signals low or high. thought i finally had one. pulled it out of a bedrock crack. the lead "nugget" was shaped perfectly, but after a scratch test knew not to get my hopes up. should start saving the lead for recycling, the weight adds up fast and they do pay a decent price:dontknow:

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions