Northern California
Detector(s) used
GPX-4500
CTX-3030
Macro Gold Racer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi Steve,

Being that you already have had your hands on it in the field…. I would like to know… Is there a function on the GPZ-7000 that lets you ID the metal of the target ? at the very least…between ferrous-and-non-ferrous-metals. I was really hoping for with the new GPZ-7000, That it would have the same target ID numbers function as my CTX. i.e. (1) "Ferrous number ID" and also (2) a display the target shape and depth on the LCD Display… It looks to me from what I have seen and read…. I don''a see any information on that subject in there ~ like they didn't add that part in there? As everyone knows…. It is one thing detecting really deep signals and another discovering after digging a 3.5 foot hole only to find a jackleg bolt or an old miners plate.

When you were using it ~ is there a function on the GPZ that allows you to tell you if the target was junk or Au?

Thanks,

P.S. ( Sorry, I don't use Facebook.)

Gerard

OP
OP
Steve Herschbach

Steve Herschbach

Apr 1, 2005
Nevada
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I still bound by a non-disclosure agreement. You can bet however that if the GPZ 7000 offered any discrimination capability it would be mentioned in the sales brochure.

Not a Facebook fan myself

GoldCTX

Nov 26, 2012
Northern California
Detector(s) used
GPX-4500
CTX-3030
Macro Gold Racer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks For the quick response Steve.

I can only hope, after paying the highest price that the market will bare for the GPZ-7000 ~ That Minelab would promise to add the full (CTX) discrimination functions to the GPZ-7000 in a firmware update… And that Minelab not try to "mine their good customers wallets" by adding all those very important functions " little by little " in the years ahead with their next models: the GPZ-7500, GPZ-8000 and GPZ-9000. With this current technology and CPU platform that they are using in these new Detectors i.e.: the GPZ & the CTX ~ " Firmware Updates" do have the ability to make major improvements and new additions to their detectors menu's and capabilities. A perfect example would be… adding the same functions as they now have in their CTX-3030 into a firmware update for the GPZ- 7000 Series Detectors…. That is very doable update in all software driven products = the GPZ-7000 included!

The only question now…. "IS" Minelab is planning to do (A) "the honorable thing (in the interest all of their good loyal customers providing a "Firmware Update that includes these features to the GPZ-7000 " Customers who are now thinking about buying the GPZ-7000. > But also customers who are now thinking about having very sore backs from digging endlessly deep holes and also finding worthless junk! Or, will Minelab do (B) the less-than honorable thing…. By choosing to string their good loyal customers along year after year waiting for the next model to be released ~ A strategy by design knowing: all of their good customers would have to make yet more major financial purchases in a year or two to buy "the next latest greatest models " ( Knowing all the time… that these capabilities could have all been included in software updates for the GPZ-7000 ~ but weren't. )

Hmmm…. Maybe now, I want to wait for the next model… the GPZ-7500 or 8000 that will include all that very important Discrimination…

Or, Maybe…. I will wait… For Minelab to make an Official Announcement "That All these important Discrimination features will be included in a Soon to be released: Firmware Update for the GPZ-7000 ? > I like that better!

These are the types of questions and decisions that are made in the boardroom when determining their 5 year business prospectus…. I guess we will eventually know in the years to come… who Minelab's board of directors were thinking about; Supporting their loyal customer base…. or, maximizing profits for their shareholders at the expense of their Loyal Customers very sore backs…

I am hoping for Minelab to do the right thing…

Gerard

Last edited:
OP
OP
Steve Herschbach

Steve Herschbach

Apr 1, 2005
Nevada
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The CTX 3030 and GPZ 7000 use entirely different technologies and what the CTX can do has no bearing on what the GPZ may or may not be able to do now or in the future.

GoldCTX

Nov 26, 2012
Northern California
Detector(s) used
GPX-4500
CTX-3030
Macro Gold Racer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
True, the GPZ & CTX are totally different technologies as detectors ~ But where they are similar is that they both use a software controled operating system that is based on fiirmware architecture. Code controls the operation and function of both machines. Menus and functions can be added and removed, features and functions can change without having to modifie the core device hardware or its Technologiy. Once the technology is established in the device all control and its functions can be changed and added in a simple firmware update.

With that said, just because it is not on the current GPZ menu or configuration now doesn't mean that it is physically impossible with the current GPZ hardware to have discrimination control added and installed in a simple firmware update.

Gerard

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The problem is pretty much as Steve points out. The technologies are completely different even if they are both firmware based. Pulse Induction has never had the ability to discriminate and the ZVT technology is and different advance on the same principle. There is no way, in my knowledge, to pull velometric or phasing information from the return signal. Depth readings may be a possibility but that is not something that can easily be done because of the return signal characteristics. The simile being a rear view mirror warning~ Objects may be closer than they appear. About the only thing that can be looked at with induction technique is the degree of signal strength and drop off~ that is the only discrimination one can get with induction. If I'm wrong someone please chime in.

One thing I would like to see is a signal graph with ground reference on the display. That's do-able. I feel it would give an advantage in pinpoint for small or very low signal responses. Ears are great but a little help pinpointing would be of benefit. A ground reference would also be helpful in determining soil conditions and being able to make adjustments as needed. Audio signal graph and ground reference from the tracking are very do-able and something I've thought about for years.

Last edited:

GoldCTX

Nov 26, 2012
Northern California
Detector(s) used
GPX-4500
CTX-3030
Macro Gold Racer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi DDancer,

Thank you for your great explanation… Yet, the GPX does have an Iron Rejection function ~ Grant it, that function is only available only with a Double D coil and not with a Mono…. But, The new GPZ has a "Super D" (DDD)= yes a totally animal. But, does that mean the new GPZ-7000 using the Super D coil does not even have the basic Iron Rejection that the GPX had with a DD?

In the Minelab video Bruce Candy shows a carrier signal explaining the basic polarity phasing principal behind the new technology. ~ Candy did say: at the moment of lowest null in polarity was the point where the target is detected. I can't recall if he mentioned the frequency/s of the cycle rate/s… I would be more curious to see what various GPZ "target signals" would look like on a spectrum analyzer. I totally agree, to get a visual is alway helpful. Any signal that creates a variable +/- audio "target response" that signal could also be used to control a visual source. Establishing the metric's to measure the dynamics of that Signal Response could be a challenge. But, in my opinion… a rear-view mirror maybe better than no mirror at all.

I got spoiled with the CTX display…. it is a really sweet setup! I guess expected more refinement from "The New… Super Gold Machine" than I see in the current version. i.e. 40% more depth for Au is great!!!! But, means 40% deeper junk too ~ not so great…. So that is kind of a trade-off.

An Old Miner told me a lone time ago… "There is still a lot of gold in them there hills… But, there is a hell of lot of dirt too!" = I would add to that: there is a hell of a lot of Rusty Junk & Millions of Bullets too!

Cheers,
Gerard

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Radars measure the return of a previously transmitted signal and the change or decrease in signal strength is indicative of what the radar sees during a scan (previously called a sweep in older radars). Radars measure the power transmitted and returned in dBz and metal detectors pretty much do the same but frequencies. Since all metals have specific densities, specific frequencies in which they are best detected as well as how much signal is likely absorbed versus reflected back towards the signal source, I don't know why that this information cannot be used to determine what specific metal that a metal detector has pinged a signal from!

Frank

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GoldCTX, from what I understand of the Iron reject function it really does not identify iron. It identifies and discriminates any target with certain signal characteristics similar to iron. It will discriminate a nugget if its signal is similar. That is not true discrimination~ its just a signal cut off like a threshold adjustment. That information was in the literature when the first Iron cut outs came to be in ML. I've played with the function as well and a large piece of gold shallow sounds and cuts out just like a tin can.
I have no idea if the GPZ incorporates the same function or even if it can. Certain non-disclosure agreements are keeping that answer to them selves I think ;) *Steve* But I'm sure we'll know before long.

What Candy was describing was where the target signal response is picked up in the null created by the transmission.
As to the phasing that the video touches on I am pretty certain now that what is occurring is a nullification technique for the output pulse.
One big problem with current PI technique is that you have to wait for the transmit pulse to die off before the receive circuit goes to work. The result if you don't is a lot of noise induced into the receive circuit that will mask small target responses to the transmit pulse. This limits depth and sensitivity. In PI the transmit and receive circuits are tied to the same coils so its not just the ground that has to die down but the coils as well. In the ZVT they have separated the coils, added another receiver circuit and have modified the transmition pulse so that it does two things~ pumps the ground with the induction pulse to "ring" the nuggets bells and pumps again in reverse phase to nullify the induced pulse response of the ground. The nuggets will continue to ring but the ground goes quite. The two recievers at this point take notes and give signal response. The receive coils also receive a benefit from the transmit cycles activities~ due to proximity they will go quite faster than the ground and as a result have long window to look for the "ringing" nuggets.
Lots of other stuff to say but that's my basic impression of the working technique. Zero Volt Transmission is a good term for it.
The principle can be related to noise cancelling technique like a Bose headset.

Yep 40% more trash and bullets sounds about right. Hopefully they are shallow ;)
The incorporation of a display makes me happy and hopeful that my thought on a signal graph and ground reference can be achieved. I've kicked the idea around for years and would like to see it without having to strap an android phone to the handle. But audio is almost useless without a ground reference. I don't see why the operation system could not be able to achieve this in the GPZ. So for that I do validate your idea on firmware upgrades that are useful CTX :)

Huntsman,
Radar theory is completely different than VLF and PI theory of operation. VLF measures distortion to the carrier wave transmitted and converts those distortions to useful data. PI induces currents into metals and then listens for the bleed off of those currents *eddy current ringing* as they die off. Radar sends a transmitted pulse and then listens for the return of the same signal from other objects it reflects from *as you describe and I know as fact as well* however the information gained is inferred not known for what is being seen. ie: a stealth jet looks like a bird or vice versa~ the information is inferred not known.
The two closest technologies that could give actual data on materials that I know of are X-ray and Terrahertz technology... The first is to dangerous to use and the second is still developing and I know of no portable method that would be effective for use.

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well 10 grand is pretty steep but what the hey :) I have seen alot of carping on the price~ and its somewhat understandable.
Made the call found I was first inline to order, that felt kinda special. Seems things go right it'll be an interesting summer. If not well someone may pick it up a little cheaper but I'm happy enough to give it a go anyway. Sucks I'll be outside of AZ when it comes~ but I figure I'll play with it some on the beach for practice. Hoping for the best and preparing for the worst.

My friend and I are pretty set on WA this year and I'm both hopefull and fairly convinced that this will cut the mustard. Even if it does not, gold is where you find it, campfires with friends and memories will be what the doctor ordered. My old GP3000 will have to go into retirement but she's found a lot of gold and a few memories.

If ya find yourself on the other side of the pond this summer Steve give me a jingle though I know your haunts are here in the US.

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks that JP pitched his opinion at Minelabs treasure talk ~ check out the ML brands forum :) JP makes some good comparisons with the GPX.

About time to chime in Steve *grin*.

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Steve for the link and the article. I have fits trying to negotiate the ML site. :)
I don't look at you as a sales man, nor do I look anyone else as such, as I am sure you work hard for your experience. The more I can gather the better informed I'll be about capabilities and use so I hope you don't mind if I glom a bit. Your article, like JP's in its way, validates what I've been thinking~ that this platform will do what I've long wished for. Both in terms of technology and ease of use. You said it best in that you only get one shot to hit the target: and after what I've seen with others who have come behind me with better equipment.... even though we use the same techniques an prospecting methods.
Well I mean to get that first shot.

Hehh :) Smaller coils are indeed needed. Here in the US especially. I said in a post on the SDC it was on my Xmas list~ sadly it'll have to stay there~ but this is my late Xmas present. At 14 inches I can do most of what I like, with a little gardening and raking, but I will enjoy some versatility when other coils come about.

I do wonder how the presence of the metal I carry will affect its sensitivity. *Grin* I'd rather not have to prospect in the buff if its going to see my zipper. Hahh. I do expect it'll go off on my glasses like my old machine with the 16 and 24 inch coils though. Pick as well.

trsrseeker

May 10, 2011
FL / NY
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field, Excaliber 11, Sovereign, CTX 3030
Hi Steve, thank you for all the information. Any idea how this machine performs in salt water? Thinking beach, wet sand and wading.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions