Whites TDI SL general information and experience

RockRaven

Jan 19, 2015
South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Compass Challenger X80, Magnum 420, 220, RM6, Coin Mag, 77B, Yukon Nugget, Teknetics Delta 4000, Garrett AT Gold. Master Hunter ADS 7, CXII, Bounty Hunter Big Bud Pro 220, TR550, 840 Auto , Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
White's TDI SL general information and experience

I am interested in some information on the TDI SL PI machine. First off, sort of wondering about the differences between the simple PI machines such as Sea Hunter, Tesoro Sand Shark, and Surf Dual Field. I know that it weighs a bit less, but interested in the claims on sales sites that it can be adjusted for size of items. Also wondering about general abilities at ferrous and conductivity discrimination, and ability with deeper items in the realm of relic hunting. Sorry if this thread seems a bit out of place, but no answers at all in the White's brand section although a good number of views. Certainly my first interest in the machine would be with the intent to improve my nugget shooting capabilities in my local area with large hot rocks and black sand in the streams. Also it also seems that the primary users of the machine all read and post over here in the detecting for gold area so I hope it is okay to ask over here. Thanks in advance

Matt

Upvote 0

Gold Itch

Dec 31, 2014
Detector(s) used
TDI SL 12"DF+7.5"DF, GMT, MXT All Pro, Whites ProStar Phones, Whites Bullseye II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm confident a PI machine is in development which will have practical discrimination that will rock the gold fields when it hits market. Also, I'm certain that I won't be paying the $20,000. plus for one (some sarcasm intended)

Well I hope they do bring out A New One singing all Dancing with a Laser that Burns the gold out of the Ground, But The Thing I like about the TDI Pro's And the TDI SL is that I can Tune it to do What I need, The Mega Dollar Machines were an Option for Me But they Cant do what The SL Does,,, All the power in the world is useless if you can't use it, Been There and SOLD It Again.

There will Always be A Market for the TDI's because they are The Best All round PI Machine on the Market, You Get A Bit of everything all In One Package,
You got more power than the V3i or MXTs which are Two Of my All Time Favourites and I might buy the V3i when I'm A Grown Up :laughing7: and you have A form of Discrimination which is A Great Help, and you can work all day with It, and still not feel like you have been in A Wreck, (that's gotta be Good)

Last edited:

Jim Hemmingway

Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Detector(s) used
F-75, Infinium LS, MXT, GoldBug2, TDI Pro, 1280X Aquanaut, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just want to poke into this discussion long enough to welcome auminesweeper to the forum. I remember you well from Steve's defunct / former AMDS forum... it's good to see you posting here. :icon_thumright:

Jim.

CA Gold Hunter

Nov 14, 2014
Northern California
Detector(s) used
White's TDI SL, Fors Gold+, Gold Monster 1000, 36" Bazooka Prospector, 30" Bazooka Sniper.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Do any of you know some good beach setting for the sl? Im out here camping at Albion, CA right now and in between crabbing and taking care of the toddler have been beeping around the small beach here. Found a roofing nail and a few pieces of iron from the bridge I think. Probably not the best area to detect because it's not heavily used but thought I'd try anyways. I've just been using it with the same setting as when I take it out to nugget shoot but I don't know if
That's ideal for the beach.

Gold Itch

Dec 31, 2014
Detector(s) used
TDI SL 12"DF+7.5"DF, GMT, MXT All Pro, Whites ProStar Phones, Whites Bullseye II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just want to poke into this discussion long enough to welcome auminesweeper to the forum. I remember you well from Steve's defunct / former AMDS forum... it's good to see you posting here. :icon_thumright:

Jim.

Thank You Jim, I always Listened to your Posts (Read) and Learned A Lot, We Had Some Good Times Back Then and It was you Who Inspired me with your Stories About The TDI back about 5 or 6 years Ago and When I Saw Digger Bobs Video that sealed The Deal
I often Wondered where you had Gone and It Is Always A Pleasure To Share your Wisdom,

Blessin's Jim and Thanks Again

John

Last edited:

Gold Itch

Dec 31, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do any of you know some good beach setting for the sl? Im out here camping at Albion, CA right now and in between crabbing and taking care of the toddler have been beeping around the small beach here. Found a roofing nail and a few pieces of iron from the bridge I think. Probably not the best area to detect because it's not heavily used but thought I'd try anyways. I've just been using it with the same setting as when I take it out to nugget shoot but I don't know if
That's ideal for the beach.

Hello Mate, Sure, On salty Sand Set it to Low and try Sneaking the Delay up to about 15 to Knock out the Iron Junk Don't try it above 17.5 Coz you will loose depth and Small Items, I would not go above 15, and set your GB round 6, If you are in the dry sand try it with the GB off so it is running in Straight PI / All Metal Mode, If you are worried you might be missing bigger Valuable Items Switch to All, Just remember if you are going to run it with the GB off try your best to keep the Coil Level,

OR, Just run it in Low with the Normal set up, Ok

Hope this helps

Last edited:

CA Gold Hunter

Nov 14, 2014
Northern California
Detector(s) used
White's TDI SL, Fors Gold+, Gold Monster 1000, 36" Bazooka Prospector, 30" Bazooka Sniper.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello Mate, Sure, On salty Sand Set it to Low and try Sneaking the Delay up to about 15 to Knock out the Iron Junk Don't try it above 17.5 Coz you will loose depth and Small Items, I would not go above 15, and set your GB round 6, If you are in the dry sand try it with the GB off so it is running in Straight PI / All Metal Mode, If you are worried you might be missing bigger Valuable Items Switch to All, Just remember if you are going to run it with the GB off try your best to keep the Coil Level,

OR, Just run it in Low with the Normal set up, Ok

Hope this helps

Awesome, thanks for the tips! I'll give that a try in a few hours.

CA Gold Hunter

Nov 14, 2014
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1425849116.901709.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1425849133.583973.jpg
Ended finding a bunch of junk. I found the tiny piece of wire about 18" down though so that was pretty cool. No coins or rings though.

Gold Itch

Dec 31, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 1128657 View attachment 1128658
Ended finding a bunch of junk. I found the tiny piece of wire about 18" down though so that was pretty cool. No coins or rings though.

What that Tiny bit on the Right??

What Settings did you use?? !8" good grief I bet your gonna sleep well tonight

Just a couple of thoughts, !) if you are finding small bits at that depth?? then what ever settings you used to find that wire will be A good set up For Gold in the respect of size of targets,

Another thing that Might help you is Carry a Small note book and when you find something at Depth write down the Settings and after a while you will have a record of what works and what Doesn't, Ok

Last edited:

CA Gold Hunter

Nov 14, 2014
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I set the delay to 15 and had the gain turned all the way up. I can't remember if I had gb off or not because I was playing around with it a bunch while I was out there. I tried running it in all with the settings you recommended hopin to find some change at least. There used to be a dock out there and there's a lot of rusted chunks of iron everywhere, I'm assuming from the old dock and bridge. Probly not the best beach to detect on because there's not a whole lot of traffic out there. Probably 3/4 of the holes I dug were 12-18" so I'm a bit wore out lol.

Gold Itch

Dec 31, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I set the delay to 15 and had the gain turned all the way up. I can't remember if I had gb off or not because I was playing around with it a bunch while I was out there. I tried running it in all with the settings you recommended hopin to find some change at least. There used to be a dock out there and there's a lot of rusted chunks of iron everywhere, I'm assuming from the old dock and bridge. Probly not the best beach to detect on because there's not a whole lot of traffic out there. Probably 3/4 of the holes I dug were 12-18" so I'm a bit wore out lol.

Was it that Little piece of wire on the right that was 18" down??

On Items like rusty Nails and such If you sweep one way you will get a normal Bleep and if you sweep at 90*deg you will get a Double bleep, It does that with all rectangular objects as you sweep along the Items Length. That's one way of working out if it is Iron / Junk.

Last edited:

CA Gold Hunter

Nov 14, 2014
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ya the wire on the right. I was pretty surprised it found that tiny little wire so deep. Maybe it fell into the hole as I was digging? I was waving each scoop in front of the coil though because I was already tired of digging so deep for all the trash I'd found already haha. Were leavin tomorrow but I'll give it one more shot if I get a chance. Is there a good setting for just getting coins or would that cut out anything that could be gold or silver jewelry? I found that with the settings you recommended I could only hear pennies, dimes, and quarters in all or high and when I did try using that setting I only found some large chunks of iron. I poked around the campsite too but we have full hookups here so I might be hearing pipes and electrical under there and don't want to tear up the area with holes lol.

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
gpz (died in a fire. rip)
Primary Interest:
Other
ca gold hunter. find some rocks and throw a peice of squid on a hook into them and catch one for me please. ill be there in a couple months.

Gold Itch

Dec 31, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya the wire on the right. I was pretty surprised it found that tiny little wire so deep. Maybe it fell into the hole as I was digging? I was waving each scoop in front of the coil though because I was already tired of digging so deep for all the trash I'd found already haha. Were leavin tomorrow but I'll give it one more shot if I get a chance. Is there a good setting for just getting coins or would that cut out anything that could be gold or silver jewelry? I found that with the settings you recommended I could only hear pennies, dimes, and quarters in all or high and when I did try using that setting I only found some large chunks of iron. I poked around the campsite too but we have full hookups here so I might be hearing pipes and electrical under there and don't want to tear up the area with holes lol.

Well you can try raising the delay up to 17.5 But Instead of doing that leave it at 15 and switch to High,
GB in ALL and switch to High and see if that helps, if that don't work to good Up the Delay to 17.5 and try an area in Low then go over your foot prints In High, But try to find and area of sand that looks like where you would want to sit and relax and search that area, but Away from the Bridge/Jetty,

Good Luck and take notes of your settings and Depth, Ok

Take Care

CA Gold Hunter

Nov 14, 2014
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
ca gold hunter. find some rocks and throw a peice of squid on a hook into them and catch one for me please. ill be there in a couple months.

We got skunked this trip. Hope that's not to discouraging... Every crab we got was about an inch under size so we has to toss them back. Hopefully they will be just the right size when you get there.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1425891339.291488.jpg I fed these guys a bunch of chicken so they should be bigger in a few months for you haha.

Well probly won't get a chance to get out on the beach this trip again so back to trying to find a nugget at home.

SunriseBoy

Sep 1, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What kind of money are we expected to see on a used TDI SL in good condititon?

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What kind of money are we expected to see on a used TDI SL in good condititon?

About half the price of new or around $600. for a "gently" used one. If buying for gold prospecting you want to use the small coils for the SL.

Brivic1

Feb 20, 2013
Magalia, Nor Calif. formaly Vic. Australia
Detector(s) used
A2b groundhog/ whites GM3/ Vsat, and TDI.
13hp 5" jawcrusher, Dryblower, recirc. HB.
F md-20............ Goldbug Pro / 5"and 10" coils
Whites TDI several coils............... My own dowsing tools

Primary Interest:
Other
I have known Bob, DB , for about ten years. I would take his word on the TDI sl anytime. I have hunted with him and he knows that machine and the Pro, as well as any fella could. I have seen his results and as said before, the machine rates better on small gold than that 3x moer expensive ,Minelab...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread