Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Anfibio Multi - T2 Classic - F75+ - G2+....and MANY more tested and reviewed.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great post Jim...glad to have your knowledge here.

I would love to get my hands on one of the larger round coils. A couple dealers have the 3x7 and 4.5 I know of...not sure I will invest however. Rather put the $ towards a new model. Love to buy the larger round coils though I have never seen one available anywhere online. Many people don't realize the Scorp had a large coil selection at first.

coilsxxx.jpg

The battery placement is ridiculous for 1991. How that passed the team meeting I'll never understand.

I can attest first hand that the Gold Stinger will not reach the sub grain level. Not only with gold but with other metals as well. Passed some small bits of various metals with nothing at all.

As far as the tone the PCB has a pot that can be adjusted with a tiny screwdriver. Garrett leaves it uncovered from the factory and even marks the pot "tone" on the PCB. It will range from a high pitch squeak to a mild mid-tone. I have mine all the way to the mid-tone side as it is more comfortable for my ears with headphones on.

kazcoro

Feb 11, 2013
Glendale
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Gold Buddy drywasher, Black Magic, Pro Gold recirc, Custom highbanker/2.5" dredge, Roadrunner Member
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
As far as the tone the PCB has a pot that can be adjusted with a tiny screwdriver. Garrett leaves it uncovered from the factory and even marks the pot "tone" on the PCB. It will range from a high pitch squeak to a mild mid-tone. I have mine all the way to the mid-tone side as it is more comfortable for my ears with headphones on.
That is a damn useful bit of information right there.

Jim Hemmingway

Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Detector(s) used
F-75, Infinium LS, MXT, GoldBug2, TDI Pro, 1280X Aquanaut, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
G'day Jim, I seem to remember us having this same conversation a few years back and all those issue you have pointed out came up then Too, mostly about the Battery system, having to remove the PCB from the housing to replace the batteries put the fear of our creator in me with just the thought of dropping or damaging the PCB,
I watched the Video where A person is comparing the Stinger and the AT Gold, But The person doing the testing referred to the Stingers signal as being weaker, when in fact it was exactly as you said (softer Tone) The Stinger Saw Every Target that the AT Gold Saw, One Thing I was shocked with Is what A Nice signal response the Stinger Has compared to the Harsh sound of the AT, It is a pity that Garrett did not RE House the Stinger and Address its Hunger for Batteries,

Just A thought?? I wonder how the Stinger would go depth wise using the AT's Coils??

Jim, Thinks for Jump Starting my memory Banks

Yes John, I remember speaking with you very well, about this and many other topics. We enjoyed a lot of warm camaraderie, and mutually satisfying, informative conversations. Those were good days on the old AMDS Adventure Forum, there was something special there, a very real warmth and mutual appreciation existed between many of us I guess. It motivated me to make more of an effort with my posts, and adopt a sense of stewardship for the forum. I'm very pleased to see you posting here, it brings back some very good memories. :)

Jim.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread