Any one use Apex Picks?

Featherdfishead

Apr 4, 2014
Callahan-ScottValley-Salmon River, Ca
Detector(s) used
Primarily Minelab SDC 2300
and Gold Bug Pro with NEL Sharpshooter, Grey Ghost Phones, an EzSluice, a good Pan, various Diggn Tools, and a Good'Ol Dog or Two
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Upvote 0

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Anfibio Multi - T2 Classic - F75+ - G2+....and MANY more tested and reviewed.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bought this from amazon for $15.....beat the crap out of it twice and looks to be a winner. I've always preferred resin over wood as I get mine wet a bit. Loving the scoop style end.

Superglued some super strong magnet my wife had from and old name tag. Can barely pry the little suckers apart they are so strong. So far so good for a budget pick.

Amazon.com : Ames True Temper 1114200 16-Inch EZ Dig Mini Pick Scoop : Garden Pick : Patio, Lawn & Garden

51cmY+a8+9L._SL1500_.jpg

G-bone

Dec 9, 2014
Ventura Ca
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro w/ NEL coil.
Minelab Xterra 705,
Bazooka Snipers (24" and 30").
Royal Folding Sluice with Gold hog mats.
Thompson 12V Puffer Drywasher.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been looking too and found this at my local "do-it center" for $15
For the price, I may give it a try. No flat blade edge, but that might be OK?
If it doesn't work out, it gets relegated to the other yard tools.
Going to go look at one at lunch.

Mini Planter Garden Trowel - Do It Best

I checked out the link that Huntergt posted and below that one they also had this:
Amazon.com : Truper 32742 14-Inch Rapid Digger, Fiberglass Handle with Grip : Hand Tillers : Patio, Lawn & Garden

At the head, it looks like a great place/pocket to glue a magnet.
looks pretty solid with added rubber grip overmold too....

Last edited:

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ebay search = Military Pick...got some there for like 15-30 range if ya scroll halfway down the page. Just another option for everybody looking. :occasion14:

OP
OP
Featherdfishead

Featherdfishead

Apr 4, 2014
Detector(s) used
and Gold Bug Pro with NEL Sharpshooter, Grey Ghost Phones, an EzSluice, a good Pan, various Diggn Tools, and a Good'Ol Dog or Two
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Howdy Gentlemen, True Temper picks such as the red one are alright because there cheap, but i've destroyed afew of them pretty quick. There like forged cast Iron when they fracture they send shrapnel. Each time they broke they shattered into big pieces. So be careful or better yet save alittle more and get a better pick.

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy Gentlemen, True Temper picks such as the red one are alright because there cheap, but i've destroyed afew of them pretty quick. There like forged cast Iron when they fracture they send shrapnel. Each time they broke they shattered into big pieces. So be careful or better yet save alittle more and get a better pick.

Yup that is def true....get what ya pay for. I carry a rock hammer with me too.....so my pick is usually a prybar and gravel digger type tool. Def don't use mine as hardcore as others might.

G-bone

Dec 9, 2014
Ventura Ca
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro w/ NEL coil.
Minelab Xterra 705,
Bazooka Snipers (24" and 30").
Royal Folding Sluice with Gold hog mats.
Thompson 12V Puffer Drywasher.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone have experience with a Garrett Retriever II?
Looks pretty stout for $55ish - nice Magnet too.

Picked up a local temp from Home depot for under $20
So still looking for what will be my "Real" pick.

OP
OP
Featherdfishead

Featherdfishead

Apr 4, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Not sure if you got a pick yet G-Bone but i'd get an apex, boss,hodan, or royal over the garrett. I dont think the garrett even compares when it comes to chopping out brush or roots of trees.

californiagold

Aug 7, 2014
California goldfields
Detector(s) used
Makro Gold Racer, Nokta Fors gold plus, Makro racer2, Nokta fors gold, minelab gpx5000, fisher gold bug pro and many many others
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I lost my last good pick stuck in the side of a zombies head at some old haunted diggins lol

OP
OP
Featherdfishead

Featherdfishead

Apr 4, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thats were you contacted the virus - Zombie Gold Miner! :censored: Quick Hoser kill it before it spreads. Lol :laughing7:
have a good one man
AjR

lester

May 20, 2008
I have talked to the Apex guys and they don't have the magnets recessed so they don't degrade the strength of the head and this design allows for a thicker more robust magnet. One magnet will do. I believe they were the first to offer magnets integrated into the heads of the picks. I have heard that they have had other new competitors buy their picks to design their own. They are now offering all handle lengths with all head and magnet variations that they offered in the past so handle lengths don't have to be custom ordered. They said their dealers have the product sheets now and that the Apex website is in the middle of being updated to include these new pick variations. Sounds like it basically triples their past product offerings. My guess is if you have a specific handle length you want contact them on their website.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread