Any one use Apex Picks?

Featherdfishead

Apr 4, 2014
Callahan-ScottValley-Salmon River, Ca
Detector(s) used
Primarily Minelab SDC 2300
and Gold Bug Pro with NEL Sharpshooter, Grey Ghost Phones, an EzSluice, a good Pan, various Diggn Tools, and a Good'Ol Dog or Two
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Upvote 0

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
My next will be the Royal, lifetime warranty, and not as pricey as the Apex, and four magnets for cleaning trash.

OP
OP
Featherdfishead

Featherdfishead

Apr 4, 2014
Detector(s) used
and Gold Bug Pro with NEL Sharpshooter, Grey Ghost Phones, an EzSluice, a good Pan, various Diggn Tools, and a Good'Ol Dog or Two
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks Oakview2 :occasion14: Didnt know Royal made picks but i looked them up and they look exactly like what i want. Apexs are definitely spendy and i didnt like the way the magnets were mounted, I beat the **** out of my picks when need be. I like that the magnets on the Royals are flush with the pick heads. I'll likley get me a Royal.
Thanks again
AjR

californiagold

Aug 7, 2014
California goldfields
Detector(s) used
Makro Gold Racer, Nokta Fors gold plus, Makro racer2, Nokta fors gold, minelab gpx5000, fisher gold bug pro and many many others
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
hey ajr

those are pretty nice picks. I bought my partner a boss detector pick up in oregon. they are great picks too. no magnets. we had a friend give us rare earth magnets from a computer he tore apart. We beat the hell out of the brush for the last year and never lost a magnet off our pick blade. never even moved. we showed the boss detector pick to a friend and he makes homemade ones for us now for free. he had a stock pile of metal. he uses some wood handles but also makes an aluminum handle version. they are pretty awesome.
I never saw royal picks before when I looked for detector picks a couple years ago. they must be fairly new.
its funny if you go detecting in certain areas, when you get done the whole magnet is covered in hematite pebbles..have to clean them off daily.
good luck

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Duct tape over the mag. Rip it off to clean it.

CA Gold Hunter

Nov 14, 2014
Northern California
Detector(s) used
White's TDI SL, Fors Gold+, Gold Monster 1000, 36" Bazooka Prospector, 30" Bazooka Sniper.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I like my apex pick but they are kinds pricy. They are solid picks though. I've been using mine while running my bazooka and it's held up really well. Magnets are fine and I doubt will ever fall out.

Socal85toyota

Mar 14, 2013
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
Eureka Gold
SD2200
GPX5000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just bought two apex picks and wouldn't hesitate to buy again... They rock

TrinityBigfoot

Aug 20, 2012
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, Gold Bug II, Whites TRX Pointpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife got me one for Christmas after I had asked for one. I love the pick. I have to remember to check the magnet after targets go missing. I always do the 'what the heck! Where did it go'... Then check for the target again and again before looking at the pick.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Featherdfishead

Featherdfishead

Apr 4, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
looking at just about every pick out there and debating how many magnets would be my style I orderd an Apex Badger LT with a single magnet and holster for $65 with free shipping. Decided i didnt want so many magnets to clean and at $65 a tad cheaper than a Royal with shipping. (and after bad mouthing Apex for being spendy. LOL)

Calgold - Good friends sure are nice, and nearly everywhere i hunt has allot of magnitite - part of the reason i went with single magnet - found my biggest piece of magnetite afew weeks ago, its fist sized.

Duct tape tip - just good thinkn there

Thanks for the comments
AjR

JunGun

Dec 25, 2012
On your GOLD patches! =)
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPZ7000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got my 18" Apex Pick with one magnet today, compared to the 36" Hodan and the 24" Burro pick I got from Rob's site looks like I will mainly be carrying the 24" Burro pick, it's lighter then the 18" Apex. I may attach a magnet to the burro if I find more then gold.

OP
OP
Featherdfishead

Featherdfishead

Apr 4, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Got my Apex just before dark - very rugged - calling to the gold already!
AjR

californiagold

Aug 7, 2014
California goldfields
Detector(s) used
Makro Gold Racer, Nokta Fors gold plus, Makro racer2, Nokta fors gold, minelab gpx5000, fisher gold bug pro and many many others
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
nothing else you'll have a good gardening tool!

GreyGhost

Feb 14, 2010
AZ
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like the Apex picks over the Royal picks because the magnets are a lot bigger.
Sure the magnets on the Royal picks are flush but they're also tiny compared to the big fat ones on the Apex. The magnets on the Apex picks are also replaceable.
The actual heads on both picks are about the same but I found the handle on the Royal picks a little "fatter" and the handle on the Apex picks fit my hands just a little better.
The Apex holsters are great too. Very durable and about one of the best ways out there to hang a pick off your belt.
Get the thick nylon belt Apex sells too or any type of stiff pistol belt. I use a pistol belt made out of scuba webbing. This will prevent the pick (and your pistol, you should be carrying one) from sagging as you hike.

OP
OP
Featherdfishead

Featherdfishead

Apr 4, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I bought a $4 contractors hammer loop and also normally wear carhartt carpenter pants with a hammer loop but i'll check out the Apex pick holsters for the future. As for needing to pack; in some areas i will and have, but luckily 90% of my mining areas are remote and only on rare occasion will i see anyone while mining all year long. Its quit rural where i live. I utilize a perimeter defense with a Queensland Healer and a German Shepard/Bull Mastiff Mix neither of which like strangers much, and now a new close combat weapon by Apex. Last resort my trusty KBAR - and it bites like a M***** F***** LOL.
Aside from digging some holes in the yard for bulbs with my wife, i was able to feed the Apex afew hour the other afternoon and to my surprise all i had to do was drag the thing across the gravels and the super magnet pulled me 1.2 dwt of flake gold with out even needing to pan.Ha HA. I did find the gold in a few hours of sluicen and the Apex performed admirably. I was glad i didn't get the Royal for this location because the diggns were so heavy that the entire upper head of the pick was instantly covered with black sands and magnetite pebbles as it was.
AjR

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
Glad you found a suitable pick, looks like the Royal for a comparable Apex is still cheaper, 83.45 vs 69. Don't know if the Apex has a lifetime warranty? Good hunting...

OP
OP
Featherdfishead

Featherdfishead

Apr 4, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
YUP Apex has 100% lifetime waranty on pick head to original owner. Its hard to find on website, its located under cart details.
AjR

shepcal

Mar 19, 2003
Oakhurst,CA
Detector(s) used
modded 4500, CTX30-30, Gold Monster1000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Oakview 2, You want the best magnet? Next time in Oakhurst, give a call. Have a couple extras
Shep 658.0243

shepcal

Mar 19, 2003
Oakhurst,CA
Detector(s) used
modded 4500, CTX30-30, Gold Monster1000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Another pick to consider. Bought one from Joeforthegold years ago, then started making my own. Bunk makes them now, called the Hermit pick. Lightweight and can move some material! I make my own picks out of plow disks, like many others. Use 'The Hermit' more than my own make. Just say'n, the Hermit works and fair price.
Shep

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the tip on the pics, was thru your way this weekend, but very early in the am.... Hermit sounds intersting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread