shepcal

Mar 19, 2003
Oakhurst,CA
Detector(s) used
modded 4500, CTX30-30, Gold Monster1000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
'Detecting for Gold' new book out by TrinityAU/ Ray Mills

Been looking for that yeller stuff since mid 70ā€™s and have built up a pretty good size library since the 80ā€™s, books about different ways of mining, geology, files downloaded, ect ect. Some were so basic they couldnā€™t hold my attention, some were and are way over my head.
Just finished TrinityAU/Ray Mills book on ā€˜Detecting for Goldā€™. Friggā€™n Excellent read! Have always enjoyed his informative posts and few times sitting around after a days hunt listening to him talk, and this was the same, and hard to put down.
Hopefully no offense will be taken by the senior, Mr. Jim Straight, but this book is of the same caliber. Easy enough to read, but informative enough to want to retain.

Recommend this book to all! Check out at www.TRINITYAU.COM

Shep

Upvote 0

Jim Hemmingway

Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Detector(s) used
F-75, Infinium LS, MXT, GoldBug2, TDI Pro, 1280X Aquanaut, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thankyou for bringing this to everyone's notice Shep. I'm reading this book each night at bedtime for a few moments, so far so good. Ray has done an excellent job of putting the book together, hopefully members of the prospecting community will support this effort... while at the same time benefit from Ray's knowledge and longtime experience.

Jim.

GreyGhost

Feb 14, 2010
AZ
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I picked up a copy at the Mesa GPAA gold show last weekend and flipped through a few pages, looks really interesting. Just a big gathering of all his different posts on the forums and articles he's written for magazines.
Gotta sit down this weekend and start reading some chapters. I have a Minelab but it seems he's had a ton of success with the Gold Bug Pro. He likes finding the small stuff the other guys missed.

dennis 5

Tenderfoot
Mar 17, 2014
clements ca
Detector(s) used
tesero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finished reading it today, was pretty good, living in N cal some of the sites and places he's found AU hit home. Would recomend it to anyone.

TrinityBigfoot

Aug 20, 2012
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, Gold Bug II, Whites TRX Pointpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw his book the day it was released. I really wanted to buy it but my budget didn't have any wiggle room. It is a book that I will be buying soon.

Jim Hemmingway

Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yep... I'm about halfway through it now, and savoring every moment. Ray clearly has an informed, pragmatic approach to his gold hunting... and a straightforward writing style that I enjoy. I'll probably return here and comment again once through the entire book... but so far a straight "A" for categories that include basic practical information, clarity or effective communication of his ideas, and overall content organization. This is very good work that anyone can understand, and credit must go to the author... it is certainly earned and deserved.

Jim.

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Jim H. - did you buy it in Canada or from his web site? I will get myself a copy.

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My book came in yesterday. No delays or charges at Canada Customs.

I have read about a third of it, into the night I have already learned some new and useful things. I am sure it will be one of the few books that I will end up reading over and over.

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Update. I finished the book.

It has been a while since I have been disappointed getting to the end of a book and wanting more. I have bookmarked a few places that I will reread over the next week. Very soon I will read it again cover to cover. It is well organized and with enough details that I could picture the areas he was detecting and every page held something interesting to me. I picked up some great tips. As best I can describe it, it is like 140 pages of the best detecting/sniping magazine articles, by somebody who knows what he is talking about, plus pictures. Money and time well spent.

Jim Hemmingway

Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Iā€™ve just completed reading Ray Millā€™s book entitled Detecting for Gold. I consider this book to be an excellent prospecting resource. It can be recommended to anyone regardless of experience because there is something in it for everyone. The author describes in everyday plain language how to identify and sample a wide range of potentially productive sites in various geological settings, and how to recover gold with and sometimes without a metal detector. But the book is primarily about metal detecting for gold by an extraordinarily successful gold hunter in a well-considered sequence, backstopped with flawless integrity. The only agenda is to present useful, interesting information such that readers will enjoy the contents, and benefit from his widely extensive experience.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book and was careful not to rush through it. I learned a good deal about how a seasoned veteran prospects for gold in northern California, Oregon, Nevada and elsewhere. I highly recommend it. :icon_thumleft:

Jim.

Last edited:

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I was lucky enough to have Jim Hemmingway send me one of his autographed copies!

I've read the book numerous times, and I'm always picking up a little something I went too quickly over one of the previous times.

It really is a handy resource, and it's written in a friendly, easy style.

All the best,

Lanny

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread