found my first gold with a metal detector :tongue3:

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
gpz (died in a fire. rip)
Primary Interest:
Other
found this in a bedrock crack in a well beaten area. dig holes everywhere. gold.jpg

Upvote 0

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Sweet!

Sent from a empty soda can!

OP
OP
beekbuster

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
Primary Interest:
Other
shooting under par, only had about 60 hrs in before my first detector gold

TrinityBigfoot

Aug 20, 2012
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, Gold Bug II, Whites TRX Pointpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice find.

Featherdfishead

Apr 4, 2014
Callahan-ScottValley-Salmon River, Ca
Detector(s) used
Primarily Minelab SDC 2300
and Gold Bug Pro with NEL Sharpshooter, Grey Ghost Phones, an EzSluice, a good Pan, various Diggn Tools, and a Good'Ol Dog or Two
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The Addiction begins. Way to go beekbuster!
Dont look at it as sub par. many many people never make it 60hrs and or spend 100's of hours without a flake. I myself just came off a 30 hr + dryspell but i was scouting new places and hitn old places due to time constraints and other life obligations so it was no big deal.
You have now had success thus your confidence will grow and your hope and desire will become overwhelming; Patience and persistence is the key. And most importantly research and time spent on the ground.
Happy Days - Happy Hunting
AjR

Jim Hemmingway

Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Detector(s) used
F-75, Infinium LS, MXT, GoldBug2, TDI Pro, 1280X Aquanaut, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What AjR says above... congratulations!!! :icon_thumleft:

Jim.

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its a Halleluiah moment :thumbsup: aint it :) Good score and keep swinging.

OP
OP
beekbuster

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
Primary Interest:
Other
under par is better than over par. from what i read it takes on average 1 year or 100 hrs before a person finds their first piece. and yes i was very very happy, it was a faint signal in very hot rock so i was happy i was able to hear it. found a couple more cracks that had good signal but wasnt able to get anything out, going out today to hit it again.

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Very nice score. Congrats. :)

Did you use your FORS Gold on that one?

Vance in AK

Feb 15, 2010
Kenai, Alaska
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB II. Whites GM II.
Congrats beekbuster!
Now that you found that first piece your signature line will change... It will simply say "It's always open season for beeping gold!"

OP
OP
beekbuster

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
Primary Interest:
Other
definatley sounded like lead, in fact where the bedrock was washed clean i could see dozens of little peices of lead in the cracks and low spots, i knew that was a very good sign. it was only a couple inches below the water witch caused a lot of falsing due to moving the coil in and out of the water.i could get the center of the coil about two inches from it so i knew there was somthing there. it was in a crack in smooth bedrock. yes with the fors in boost mode at 85 sensitivity gb at 70. low for hot rocks but the small targets disappear if i mask the hot rocks.
so i got home to see the price for a small coil from kellyco to make it easier sniping bedrock, and thats when i saw the new price for the fors :BangHead:. oh well. i like my machine 8-). today i found a good signal in solid rock (layers of cemented gravel and host rock) got an id jumping between 44 and 85. im going back to that with an arsenal, guarantee there is somthing good in there. did find a small coin spill 1946 nickle and a few pennies.

Last edited:

californiagold

Aug 7, 2014
California goldfields
Detector(s) used
Makro Gold Racer, Nokta Fors gold plus, Makro racer2, Nokta fors gold, minelab gpx5000, fisher gold bug pro and many many others
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
good job! it gets a little easier after the first. now you have confidence that you can do this. keep it up!

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Awesome, great to hear another testament for the FORS Gold. :)

I usually run mine on 85 as well but in boost mode and I leave ID mask at 10, sometimes I go to 20-25 but if there is a large nugget under where I am swinging I want to be able to hear how strong that signal comes through at.

Featherdfishead

Apr 4, 2014
Callahan-ScottValley-Salmon River, Ca
Detector(s) used
Primarily Minelab SDC 2300
and Gold Bug Pro with NEL Sharpshooter, Grey Ghost Phones, an EzSluice, a good Pan, various Diggn Tools, and a Good'Ol Dog or Two
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I dig all signals below and above the high water line. Many times there is gold smaller than is detectable laying alongside the iron junk or bullet fragments, and or gold that is masked by big nails. One small trib i have mined we found gold about 75% of the time we dug iron signals. I have also found that root clumps that have nails embedded in there middles are many times loaded with fine gold. All gold is gold, so i utilize all possibilities to find it.
Happy Hunting
AjR

Forgot to mention, a guy up here got 6 Ozs last year from a crevasse that he chipped through cement rock to get at.

Last edited:
OP
OP
beekbuster

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
Primary Interest:
Other
i also run in boost mode mostly, somtimes ill go back over an area with general mode to see if i missed anything. i like the grunt of the iron discrimination when the signal is faint, there is always somthing there(no falsing) and half the time the signal changes as you go deeper. the detector gave a grunt a couple times on this crumb.

californiagold

Aug 7, 2014
California goldfields
Detector(s) used
Makro Gold Racer, Nokta Fors gold plus, Makro racer2, Nokta fors gold, minelab gpx5000, fisher gold bug pro and many many others
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
yes a faint grunt mixed with a faint beep usually is a deeper target on the limit of being detected. in boost mode try turning down iron mask to 5 . if your soil will allow. it makes the faint signals hit a little harder. not sure why id mask would affect this , but it does work. if you ever have to run in di3 . turn id mask to zero. the deeper ones hit a little harder then too. just experiment a little and see what works for you.good luck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread