Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my other thread I had made the mistake of having the "Zed" shipped to a safe address in the east. I've had the unit out now for a number of days and I am learning its functions best I can. In the same thread and another in the brands forum I had mentioned an unboxing. Well this is what I received~ its a dealers unit: The first Kelly Co received and its plain jane :) Well the package is anyway but again a thumbs up to JW and Kelly Co for getting this to me as they did. These are just the pictures of the major contents of the box. Everything in it is on the list that the package comes with but I excluded a lot of the minor stuff. From the looks of the interior and the broken ML seal Kelly Co did look at it but never played with it ;) That's my job.

If one wants to see other components let me know and I'll tack them on but these are the basics.

The first box, check out the warning label *grin*:

The first box.jpg

Inside that box:

Inside the first box.jpg

The second box, note it does not have any logo's. Hahh!

The second box.jpg

Inside the second box is the unit as it was shipped :

Inside the second box.jpg

The coil and various other major components:

battery.jpg
control box.jpg
documentation.jpg
Main stem aft veiw base.jpg
Main stem fwd view base.jpg
Main stem.jpg
Rods.jpg
the coil.jpg
Wireless module and audio jack module.jpg

Its a pretty modular set up and can be broken down with only a minor amount of fuss. The biggest problem with breakdown is the main box from the control stem as this is a slip on and lock set up. Coil changes will be a bit trying but if you and some security breaking the control box away and packing it with you is convenient as its a small unit.
The charging set up is good with a patch cord for the Wireless module from the charger base and multiple adaptors including a strait battery jumper set up to get thing juiced for the next go. Charge time is around 4 hours for the main battery and similar for the wireless module from 40 percent so no rapid charging is available. Better than some of the other systems but I feel that could have been improved especially with LI battery technology.

battery and charging set up.jpg

The full unit is as advertised: Heavy. But it balances well. One gripe I've got is the bungie attach point for my comfort as related to the swing arm. It runs up hard on the handle and my fingers but I'm still adjusting things. The harness comes with solid supports and these are ok however they tend to pull apart when bending and digging. I suggest only installing the support for the side you swing from as the full monty is kind of stiff. But then again if you have popeye arms one should not have much difficulty with this machine. No worse than a GP with a 25 inch coil ;)

USB connection is at the front side of the control pad and is covered with a cap. The main audio jack is part of an independent module on the top aft side of the control box over the battery and for weather proofing should be plugged. All other connections are fine thread plug/connectors and one should be patient putting them together and insure they are clean or you may have problems.

The rods are composite carbon fiber and pretty stout however one should expect some shaft shifting as the clamps are not completely tight and will allow some small shifting in the form of rotation of the coil. Its negligible and not a problem.

The full set up.jpg

I may edit some of this but that the overall view.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jim Hemmingway

Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Detector(s) used
F-75, Infinium LS, MXT, GoldBug2, TDI Pro, 1280X Aquanaut, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks DDancer... for making the effort to show us the contents of your new package. I know that it might not be possible for me to carry a heavier detector like this over hill and dale without my arm relapsing into tendinitis (tennis elbow), but I am still very much interested to learn more about how it operates and performs. To that end I hope you'll add to this thread or create another in that regard... would love to get your insights and impressions as you gain some field experience with it.

Jim.

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like a great machine and the pictures of the unboxing are excellent. I look forward to hearing how it works out for you. By all accounts, it is way easier to set up than the GPX and it should put onto gold big time. Good luck!

OP
OP
DDancer

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll be posting about my experience with it however it'll be a while before I can make any real contributions. All I can do with it for now is test it with specimens I have to get familiar with the menus. Actual field will occur this summer when I head down to Western Australia to scratch an itch ;) I do intend to take it to the beach a few times before then as that's the only environment in range that will give me some difficult conditions.
To date I've found it to be pretty stable, compared to my GP, for locations near town and power lines. It picks up the smallest bits of stuff and larger stuff calls out when nearby.

The menu is a learning curve and not as intuitive as it seems. I feel it has to do with the icons ML used but I'm getting to recognize that one wont be messing with settings to often. At least in very mild conditions.

Jim, when they come out with a smaller coil you may find it worth a go. Hopefully someone in your area will let you take one for a walk as I think it would be stellar for the silver.

Placer, It goes together about as easy as the GP but its got a bit of a trick for connection of the coil and breaking it down. I find it kind of nice that the coil lead is now protected and it does not bang around inside the shaft~ least I've had no falsing. But the coil itself is pretty loud when scraped and knocked as I don't think they used a full filler inside the housing.

Last edited:

timemachine

Apr 8, 2015
Seattle
Detector(s) used
GPZ7000 / Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have to agree with you on the battery technology and the weight, ugh. The one item worth mentioning is the cheap wireless audio module is rather cumbersome to deal with as the plastic back clip will eventually break and its hard find a good place to attatch it. Really, it should have been a built in speaker on the unit. Cheers

OP
OP
DDancer

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
True enough timemachien. Could have done better with the charger and the wireless module. The weight though... that's unavoidable.
Hip stick is going to be the way to go for long walks.

Just going to have to make a pouch for the wireless or keep it in a pocket on your pack. I still run a headset to it as I don't like a bawling speaker going off telling the world "Look Here" :) An internal speaker would have just down graded the weather proofing and I'd have to think it would mess with the audio as the speaker would be swung in and out. I'd be fairly easy to hook up a speaker to the aft end of the control box for the same effect or perch some little speakers on the top of the display.

Got a month to go now. I've not had the chance to go down to the beach as I intended~ working for the money to pay my way next month~ but test plots and the woods have been good enough for now. I note that no one here is really talking about the Zed~ and that's fine I think most are tuning into Steve H.'s site and JP site as well as other prospecting forums for most of the info on this unit. People using it are getting something back for it but; No, gold is not hopping out of the ground and into the poke. :)

My partner is already down on the ground and has pulled up some small bits on what I know to be some supremely pounded patches. Overall no one there is impressed so far. I'll have my time ;) Not sure how I'll get pictures up here as upload is pricy in Oz but I'll figure something out.
Looks to be that some replacement coil covers and batteries are beginning to trickle into the system. Hopefully a coil or two will come out. Covers for the unit are poping in and out online from Oz so maybe there'll be some accessories by the end of this season.

Last edited:

timemachine

Apr 8, 2015
Seattle
Detector(s) used
GPZ7000 / Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm actually super interested in getting a hard case asap. I've checked out some hunting compound bow cases and they might work! HH

OP
OP
DDancer

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bags are packed off to WA with me. Keeping in touch time to time as I get a grip on the Zed.
Cheers,
DDancer

CA Gold Hunter

Nov 14, 2014
Northern California
Detector(s) used
White's TDI SL, Fors Gold+, Gold Monster 1000, 36" Bazooka Prospector, 30" Bazooka Sniper.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm actually super interested in getting a hard case asap. I've checked out some hunting compound bow cases and they might work! HH

check out the pelican cases. you can cut the foam to fit and you will most likely have room for extra coils and battery packs or an ar-15 haha.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread