Which is better for Gold Nugget Shooting, a Gold Bug...a Gold Bug 2 or Gold Bug Pro?

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Folks,

I am hoping to get some opinions on which metal detector you feel or know that is better Gold Nugget shooting in the Fisher Gold Bug Models! Do you think the Gold Bug is the best or the Gold Bug 2 is the best or the Gold Bug Pro is the best? Keep in mind that I came up old school and really don't need a display screen but if the best model has one, then I can live with it and learn it but I will still go by the signal sounds. I have been selling and/or trading off some of my' metal detectors that are more of use for coins and relics and trying to put together a big arsenal of metal detectors that are more sensive to Gold Nuggets and even larger Gold flakes!

Thanks!

Frank

Upvote 0

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Which is better for Gold Nugget Shooting, a Gold Bug...a Gold Bug 2 or Gold B...

The Gold Bug 2 (71khz) will pick up the smallest "flakes". But it will also pick up the smallest birdshot and junk you may not want to spend time sifting around looking for. I think the gold bug pro (19khz) would be the most useful and enjoyable machine that is awesome for coin and relics as well. I've got the F-19,which is essentially a gold bug pro with a couple extras added in, and they're hard to beat in iron infested areas.

Last edited:

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
By all accounts, they are good machines if the ground is not too mineralized. As a straight nugget shooter, probably the GBII is the better unit, especially for small gold. You can also play with coil sizes with whatever detector you get. What I did was get a GB SE and a Minelab PI to cover various conditions.

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Already some great input from experienced guys. I have the GB2, GB Pro, F19 and I just bought the F75. The GB2 is used exclusively on exposed calcrete and bedrock as a sniper. The Pro and F19 is the multi purpose machine that I take with me into someplace new for the first time prospecting (BTW, the Pro is now the back-up to the F19)....Great machines.
The F75 is supposed to be the ultimate in discrimination machines currently available which I bought for specifically prospecting trashy mining and milling sites. I just recently picked up this detector and have no time on it but am very optimistic of its abilities.....Rob

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When comparing the two units the operator is the most important factor. The date of mfg., by Los Banos or Tejas makes a world of difference in quality,durability of units also. I'd much rather have a 10 year old GB2 than a new one. Both great detectors for gold and don't have to sell the farm to buy.Multiple coils help greatly. California Gold has the new coil from I believe NEL,graphite filled and brought new life to the GB Pro yet again, as coil after coil fails. I coveth mine(ol'school GB2),along with the Tesoro Lobo ST of coarse-John

Vance in AK

Feb 15, 2010
Kenai, Alaska
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB II. Whites GM II.
I'm kinda like Hoser John. Wouldn't trade my 14 yr old gb 2 for any new vlf machine. That thing has found some tiny hold. But I am in country that has low mineralization & tiny gold...

Last edited:

Beav

Mar 22, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
Detector(s) used
VLF
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm with Hoser on an older GB2. Mine is about 12 years old Los Banos and you can really crank the gain up and find mucho gold crumbs! Almost as small as a Falcon MD20, but not quite- but close enough for me!
Beav

OP
OP
H

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank you all for the insight and information! This has really helped me with my decision. I will likely try to find an older Gold Bug 2 unless a great deal comes along on a Gold Bug Pro or maybe an F75. I found a great deal on what appears to be an older Gold Bug that is in excellent condition but will probably pass on it. However, I am still considering it as I could probably resell it for a decent profit which would help me in getting a Gold Bug 2 or F75.

Take care and the best of luck to everyone!

Frank

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you go GB Pro go for the NEL coils as a proven enhancement,built tough and results proven by CG/GR--John

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sold a nib GB2 for $450 last fall. I had bought it to do one specific type hunting in dry sand on the beach and never got around to it. You can find deals if you look around.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Decent beach machine,I popped rings n' things like mad in Kauai on numerous trips there-Make time to do some fun things as life is tooooooooooooooooooo short not to-John

Featherdfishead

Apr 4, 2014
Callahan-ScottValley-Salmon River, Ca
Detector(s) used
Primarily Minelab SDC 2300
and Gold Bug Pro with NEL Sharpshooter, Grey Ghost Phones, an EzSluice, a good Pan, various Diggn Tools, and a Good'Ol Dog or Two
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I use the Sharpshooter it 9.5 x5.5 inch and works great for a general coil, some guys like the Hunter 12.5 x 8.5 in also. Bigger for depth smaller for sensitivity and use in tight spaces is the general coil rule.
Good Luck - We sound like a commercial for NEL coils lately don't we CalGold. LOL
AjR

californiagold

Aug 7, 2014
California goldfields
Detector(s) used
Makro Gold Racer, Nokta Fors gold plus, Makro racer2, Nokta fors gold, minelab gpx5000, fisher gold bug pro and many many others
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yes Nel coils the best for gb pro. I think the sharpshooter is best. I have the hunter aswell but it dont find tiny gold as good as sharpshooter. Boy i bet ron back in jersey is gonna be busy shipping nel coils.

californiagold

Aug 7, 2014
California goldfields
Detector(s) used
Makro Gold Racer, Nokta Fors gold plus, Makro racer2, Nokta fors gold, minelab gpx5000, fisher gold bug pro and many many others
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Also i wanted to mention , i had gb 2 before and still have gb pro. I really think its a toss up on who can find the smallest gold. I have found gold so small with pro that it looked like a period at the end of a sentance. On a regular basis, not just once. But gb 2 will also. So i think they are pretty even matched. Just depends on features mostly.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread