Arizona Detecting Question

melo11

Tenderfoot
Mar 23, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, I am new to the hobby and the forums :) I have been twice but still have a lot of questions, I was wondering if anybody has been detected in Ajo AZ? I have looked at a few maps and it looks like a good area, but I really have no idea, but I took a screen shot of the area I will be visiting and there are a few mines around town and seem to have been closed for a long time.

The gold dots are mines but not all for gold some are for copper and silver also

ajo.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Featherdfishead

Apr 4, 2014
Callahan-ScottValley-Salmon River, Ca
Detector(s) used
Primarily Minelab SDC 2300
and Gold Bug Pro with NEL Sharpshooter, Grey Ghost Phones, an EzSluice, a good Pan, various Diggn Tools, and a Good'Ol Dog or Two
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
hello melo11, if through your research you find that the area has gold large enough to detect then its a place to start. Once there look for places that the other guy with a detector wouldn't have hit and hit these places. Talk to locals you meet and see if they now anything about the area, check out local clubs, do as much historical research as possible.
Good Luck
AjR

timemachine

Apr 8, 2015
Seattle
Detector(s) used
GPZ7000 / Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello, I am new to the hobby and the forums :) I have been twice but still have a lot of questions, I was wondering if anybody has been detected in Ajo AZ? I have looked at a few maps and it looks like a good area, but I really have no idea, but I took a screen shot of the area I will be visiting and there are a few mines around town and seem to have been closed for a long time.

The gold dots are mines but not all for gold some are for copper and silver also

View attachment 1135794

Hi Melo11, I've not detected around Ajo, but I do know some townsfolk get a bit touchy if approached about existing claims and probably rightfully so to be sensitive...through your research, attempt to identify ownership of the property to ensure it's within BLM unstaked land and good luck! Stay hydrated, lol, it's hitting 100 degrees again!

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A large open pit copper mine and smelter shut down there many years ago and is part of your screenshot. Land issues in the surrounding area include Indian lands and National Parks, preserves, etc. Here is a good resource for you for AZ placers. Using this and google is golden.:thumbsup: http://www.azgs.az.gov/Mineral Scans/gold_bull168_ocr.pdf

Good luck.

Last edited:

G-bone

Dec 9, 2014
Ventura Ca
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro w/ NEL coil.
Minelab Xterra 705,
Bazooka Snipers (24" and 30").
Royal Folding Sluice with Gold hog mats.
Thompson 12V Puffer Drywasher.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome and good luck. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread