Which Headphones Do You Use?

Aufish

Feb 3, 2015
NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So what does everyone like to use?

I see a critical component that is entirely overlooked by a lot of serious MDers... the playback equipment. No matter how big and bad your machine is if the headphones can't reproduce the subtle differences in tone clearly, it's all for nothing! I've spent too much time involved in loudspeaker design to know most of whats out there is garbage, especially for this purpose!

You want a headphone that is designed specifically to reproduce the mids to low-highs with pristine clarity. You don't want headphones capable of producing bass. You don't want headphones that reproduce 14k+. Why? Because to have a well rounded full range speaker you end up sacrificing clarity in certain band ranges due to the nature of the cone's material... inherent resonances / cone break up / air propagation / weight to power / thermal inductance changes in the VC, then you can get into analyzing the motor assembly and even the frame of the speaker itself plays a big role! Equipment used in voice recording playback is ideal for MDing purposes given the frequency ranged they are designed for and many of them will operate in mono.

Any headphones I look up for this purpose, the manufacturers say nothing about the specifications of the drivers themselves... which generally means they are marketing to people who aren't concerned with the specs so they know they can get away with using sub-par building materials and a lax approach to engineering them. You have no need for a 40mm driver in this case, ever. Its big and heavy and sloppy unless you pay a small fortune for the motor assembly... but then kiss your battery life goodbye. Generally speaking... higher impedance results in a cleaner signal but requires more power for a given volume / loudness.

Ultimately everyone's hearing is different, and will prefer different headphones based on which frequency ranges their particular ears are good at picking up and which they struggle with. Again based on the cone material used, they all propagate different frequencies at different speeds.. during testing both pairs might produce a 1khz frequency... but one of them does it easier, more efficiently, and with less distortion resulting in easier / cleaner listening. The audio playback circuit in the machine itself, and how much thought the engineers gave it, will also play a crucial role in tone differentiation. Good headphones + distorted input source = crystal clear distorted signal!

Easy way to tell if they are worth looking into further... follow the gold! Plating... good engineers will mandate gold plating at the connection points. Also make sure to get semi-open circumaural for max sound isolation without sweaty ears (if heat is a concern I'd go with supra-aural)!! Hope this helps, sorry if it kinda bounces around I'm a bit behind on sleep. Maybe I'll sit down and give a seriously detailed report on this for ya guys sometime.

***LINKS***

Budget Friendly $69 USD AKG K240 - Doesn't swivel / Open Back (breathes)
Budget Friendly Sennheiser HD280 $76 USD Swivels / Closed Back
Broadcast Grade Beyerdynamic DT102 $155 USD Single Ear Cup / Uncoiled Cable / Ideal sound quality if your machine can run 400ohm headphones (takes a good bit of power) if it can't then check this out Portable Headphone Amp $60 USD acts as a "line driver" I'm sure you creative folks can jury rig a solar charger for extended field use

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Peachy

Feb 16, 2015
High Lonesome
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've used a big old set of Koss headphones for years. They are from the 70's. Big, heavy and stay on my head. I have used all sorts over the years but keep on going back to them. The newer ones that I've used are just to fragile. Exposed and thin wires, stiff,short cords and not so "roadworthy". It will be a sad day when they bite the dust. Any suggestions on a new set? Must have volume controls.

OP
OP
A

Aufish

Feb 3, 2015
NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm going to work on a list of good buys from a global supplier (EG: amazon) at different price points. The problem I run into is the headphones that are ideal for this application have incredible impedance values... you'd need a line driver between the headphones and signal source (MD machine) to have any appreciable volume. They never designed them to be used away from a dedicated power source, but scour the internet I shall ha.

The more I dig into this, the less I like what I see. I've yet to see headphones from a reputable MD (or accessories) manufacturer that isn't just a rebranded cheap piece of chinese crap. If you can live without volume control... (easy to mod your own via potentiometer anyways)

Grado makes some of the highest quality headphones in the USA, all hand made out of Brooklyn. They do have some budget friendly designs, and many of them are open ear and breathe WONDERFULLY (most comfortable headphones I've worn for extended periods). Other notable brands: Audio-Technica / AKG / Beyerdynamic / Sennheiser / Focal / Shure / and very select few of Sony's upper level models are OK. Again these are designed for Hi-Fi listening so they aren't exactly "perfect" for detecting however on the upside with higher sensitivity you can turn the signal volume which just saves your battery and provides a cleaner signal allowing better distinction between slight tone variations (the difference between payday and going home empty handed). All of these brands are built to last, have solid no hassle warranty backing. For what I payed I'm quite happy with my audio-technica ($150 USD) ATH-M50x years later, still kickin like the day I got em, great all around headphones. Despite which ones you go with I would highly suggest looking into inserting an analog in-line HPF (high pass filter) @200hz (diaphragm excursion is the main culprit for power inefficiencies & distortion) as you have no real need for bass in this application.

Another glaring issue in MD circuitry... they almost all blast out the signal full volume introducing incredible distortion levels which could be easily fixed at the design level. Again good headphones + distorted signal = crystal clear distortion

What price points would you guys like to see a list of? lower end? Upper end? something inbetween?

Last edited:

GreyGhost

Feb 14, 2010
AZ
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been using a set of Sun Ray Pro headphones for a few years now out in the desert and they seem to be OK. One of the sound cups stopped working recently and for $12 plus shipping I mailed them back to the supplier and they repaired them.
I bought them because they were advertised as metal detecting headphone and the price was within my budget. I detect with Minelabs that need that audio switch feature on them so I just stuck with headphones that were advertised to work with them. I know nothing about pro-audio stuff so would love to hear about some other options that would work with Minelabs that might produce some better tones. Anything around $100-150 would be fine.
I'm a little hard of hearing so volume control is good. I'll probably be buying a B&Z Booster for my Minelab to make the threshold even louder so audio knobs on the headphones might be unnecessary with that booster because it already has volume control on it. Headphones with a long, strong cord is always a must too.

clv

Dec 23, 2012
santee, ca
Detector(s) used
Current Detectors; Minelab Safari, Equinox 600
TRX Pin Pointer, Fisher 1235x
Have owned; Minelab Eureka gold,
Tesoro Compadre, White's MX5, GMT, MXT Pro,
fisher cz7a pro, go fine 20, Garret Ma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have used many brands of headphones from the manufactures of the detectors I have had, (Whites, Fishers, Garretts, etc.) I recently bought a pair of rattler headphones, I like these the best of all of them, I can hear the pinpointer, strangers, snakes etc along with the detector now all without removing them.

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I will watch this thread with interest, as I should get a good set of headphones. I have being using an old pair of Whites or the Minelab that came with my GPX. Last week, I picked up a pair of BeatsByDre at a pawn shop for a really good price, but my daughter ripped them out of my hands and I have not seen them since. I did not mind too much, because they are probably too soundproof which could be dangerous in bear country.

pan4au

Greenie
Apr 6, 2011
W. Tn
I'm wireless now (Auvio 33-283) when I go wire I have Garrett headphone.. one of which is waterproof for my AT Pro. I do have Sennheiser EH2270 which I like but I like going wireless

TravyLeigh

Sep 17, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use nugget busters. Around $160 I think, but they're very nice. Got a .14 GRAIN piece with my MXT with them. Just over a tenth of a grain!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Juice in the hole

Mar 22, 2014
North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great thread!!!!

I'm looking for new headphones myself as one of my old stereo headphones has stopped working and the other has a 10' non-coiled cord, which I have to now ball up in my pocket. I guess I'd like to see a list ranging from around $35-$100. Anymore than that and I can guarantee I personally wouldn't be interested. $50-70 is my sweet spot however. Even more than volume control, a coiled cord is paramount. That seems to be the hardest feature to find amongst the group of headphones I've been shopping. Lightweight would be good too.

CA Gold Hunter

Nov 14, 2014
Northern California
Detector(s) used
White's TDI SL, Fors Gold+, Gold Monster 1000, 36" Bazooka Prospector, 30" Bazooka Sniper.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What do you guys thing about the rattlers or I think their called killer b stingers? They only have one earpiece so you can hear what's going on around you. That's the only thing I don't like about headphones because you can't hear much outside of them when your alone in the woods lol.

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Arizona - Is there any other state worth visiting
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I also have Sun Ray Gold Pro headphones and most likely talked GreyGhost into buying them. Grey did you find any yellow out in Greaterville?

GreyGhost

Feb 14, 2010
AZ
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I also have Sun Ray Gold Pro headphones and most likely talked GreyGhost into buying them. Grey did you find any yellow out in Greaterville?

I finally did a few weeks ago. Little 1.26 gram nugget up on a hillside. Having been going back pretty consistently detecting down there looking for more.
Now just debating about getting a Minelab GPZ 7000 and whither the expense is justified or not.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GreyGhost, did you ever find gold with the GPX you bought from me?

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Aufish, I like DetectorPro models. I use the Bushmasters and Grey Ghost Amphibians. Very good sound, fit and design.

G-bone

Dec 9, 2014
Ventura Ca
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro w/ NEL coil.
Minelab Xterra 705,
Bazooka Snipers (24" and 30").
Royal Folding Sluice with Gold hog mats.
Thompson 12V Puffer Drywasher.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very interested in this thread as well and will need something soon.
$80 to $100.00 range is plenty - especially since they're going to get beat up.

GreyGhost

Feb 14, 2010
AZ
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
GreyGhost, did you ever find gold with the GPX you bought from me?

I didn't find any gold with that unit. Between the summer heat last year and staying busy at work I took a little break from detecting last year.
Then I sold that GPX 4800 to get an SDC. Had great luck with that unit.

IMPDLN

Mar 18, 2014
Central Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2100 V-2, Gold Bug SE, SDC2300, GPX4500
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Not sure why some people think they need high fidelity headphones for metal detecting. High dollar doesn't necessarily mean they will allow you to hear more targets or have clearer sound quality. !st and foremost your headphones need to be compatible with your detector. Your headphones can only produce the sounds your detector provides to them.

Now I myself prefer Rattlers. Had I been wearing noise cancelling double ear cuff headphones last year I never would have heard the Mohave rattler I had to dispatch. Not a fun snake to have an encounter with for sure. And this sucker was especially nasty. No telling what might have happened, but I am here to say I will only use single ear cuff headphones, like Rattlers, whenever I am metal detecting. Dennis

CA Gold Hunter

Nov 14, 2014
Northern California
Detector(s) used
White's TDI SL, Fors Gold+, Gold Monster 1000, 36" Bazooka Prospector, 30" Bazooka Sniper.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've been thinking about getting those impdln. I hate not being able to hear my surroundings in the woods.

Hamfist

Aug 1, 2014
SoCal
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Whippet, 151, GH, shovel, brain
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
None. The short little cord ripped out of the plug on my SDC months ago. [emoji53]

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread