Officially into MD prospecting - With New GB Pro

G-bone

Dec 9, 2014
Ventura Ca
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro w/ NEL coil.
Minelab Xterra 705,
Bazooka Snipers (24" and 30").
Royal Folding Sluice with Gold hog mats.
Thompson 12V Puffer Drywasher.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all, Well after a month or so of reading books and reviews on what to purchase as my first Prospecting Md, I found a new/used GB Pro on Craig's list and made the purchase.
Nice Lady who bought the GB pro 2 (Both 5" coil and 5"x 10" elliptical coil) and gave up on it, passed it on to me at a fair price.
truly, not a scratch on it and save a couple hundy to boot.

So after reading the manual over , the night before - I hit my back yard yesterday morning.
Right away - the wife is yelling at....... "put some dang pants on for crying out loud"!!!
OK - she had a point there..
Set my gain and threshold and started swinging and "listening" to all the sounds she makes.
Within 15 minutes I had this...
WP_20150329_002.jpg
Right away I had to show my wife that I was up $.05 toward paying off this new toy :laughing7:
The Nickel was about 6" down.

Had to put her away and do some chores, but later in the day the family wanted to hit the beach..."Perfect!!" I said.
So I pack her up and we headed down to one of our little spots we like.
Started swinging and getting signals with lots of black sand and trash of course.
But the kids were now starting to get interested, which was GREAT.
I'd get a signal and the boys would start digging. Each signal was like opening a Christmas present.
I'm starting to really like this unit. Very intuitive and once you start recognizing the signal tones and cross reference with numerical output, IDing targets was getting easy.
And even the boys were getting accustom to the sounds the GB was making related to what we pulled out of the ground. Very cool.
So after about 45 min, this is what we got.
WP_20150329_004.jpg

Notice the Quarter and corroded Penny......So of course - I immediately ran up to my wife and showed her that I am up another $.26 on paying this hummer off. :headbang:

Anyway, really digging this unit and can't wait to get it out to some areas I have been investigating to try my hand at finding some Au with this little gem.

Cheers!!

G

Upvote 0

californiagold

Aug 7, 2014
California goldfields
Detector(s) used
Makro Gold Racer, Nokta Fors gold plus, Makro racer2, Nokta fors gold, minelab gpx5000, fisher gold bug pro and many many others
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you are hunting beaches with black sand. And the gb pro is noisy. Put it in iron disc and crank it up to 100 sens. It gets great depth aswell in iron disc. Also if you get a chance get yourself a Nel sharpshooter coil from gold digger metal detectors. It is the deepest and most stable coil for gb pro. I tried most coils made for my gb pro in the past. If you get near water dont put that fisher 10" coil in the water. It will ruin it. They leak. My wife and i ruined 3 of them. They work again after maybe a year. After completely drying out. We have used fisher, mars tiger, sef, and Nel coils for gold detecting and Nel is the best. And built very well, you can get them wet, also have 2 year warranty. Most others have 1 year. They are also cheaper then the rest around $110. Youll find gold so small you can hardly see it.
Im sure other members will mention about the Nel coils.
Have fun with your new detector.

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Really good advise from Cali Gold (on this and other posts) on the NEL and I am trying to look into one for my GB too.

One comment back to Cali Gold, is you should not have to wait a year for a piece of electronics to dry out. If you want to hurry things up in that situation is sink it into a container of rice. The rice will absorb the moisture much faster than air dry.

And Gbone - great start (without a "skunk"). Good fun with the young boys and soon you will have good partners for future detecting partners.

OP
OP
G-bone

G-bone

Dec 9, 2014
Ventura Ca
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Copy that on the 5x10 coil leaking.
You burned up 3 of them? No warranty coverage on those leaking?
Hmmm :icon_scratch:

The beach trip was just for fun and I don't plan on that being my main hunting ground.
But it will be taken to the beach for sure when we camp etc, so your advice will be put to use.
thank you for the good tips on the black sand and such.

The NEL is on my list for sure but will have to wait a little while.
I have read nothing but good on those.

Thank you again Calgold

Cheers

G

Featherdfishead

Apr 4, 2014
Callahan-ScottValley-Salmon River, Ca
Detector(s) used
Primarily Minelab SDC 2300
and Gold Bug Pro with NEL Sharpshooter, Grey Ghost Phones, an EzSluice, a good Pan, various Diggn Tools, and a Good'Ol Dog or Two
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Welcome to the Au Addiction! Great machine and with the NEl coil Awesome! CalGold sayd it all - Good Luck

californiagold

Aug 7, 2014
California goldfields
Detector(s) used
Makro Gold Racer, Nokta Fors gold plus, Makro racer2, Nokta fors gold, minelab gpx5000, fisher gold bug pro and many many others
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello gbone, the fisher coils that we broke all were just after 1 year and the warranty was up. . We dont use detectors near water much.. Our problems seemed to be detecting in wet grass, pine needles and such. Water from these gets underneath the coil cover and seems to leak along the seal between top and bottom of coil. Our coils started getting chattery, so we would stop and clean and dry off under cover but a few drops must have leaked thru. It was a good coil, very sensitive to tiny gold. But nel coils get better depth on tiny gold and dont leak. I have heard of several other owners of 10x5 fisher coils have same problem. Seems like affter it dries out again they work. Only reason i said a year was after owning a nel for awhile. A year or so, i was going to throw away our bad fisher coils. I decided to try one more time before i did. They all seemed to work again. I didnt try the rice treatment as mentioned by placergold. (good idea) but i almost tried to use a heat gun, but didnt . So not sure if heat gun would speed things up. But overall no one should have to do that. Especially to a coil that was meant to be in water.
If you buy the 10x5 coil with detector, you actually have 5 year warranty. We bought ours seperatly, so only had the 1 year.
Hope you have fun with your new detector. Hope you find alot of treasure. Its a great hobby.
Take care good luck!

OP
OP
G-bone

G-bone

Dec 9, 2014
Ventura Ca
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks all.

I am hooked on this hobby in a bad way.
I am getting such an itch to hit some spots I've researched for the possibility for Au.
After reading and searching and dreaming for so long, it gets quite maddening.... especially for the wife and kids :hello:

We may have upcoming Friday off and that might be my window.

Cheers

G

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread