This weekend - First REAL excursion

G-bone

Dec 9, 2014
Ventura Ca
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro w/ NEL coil.
Minelab Xterra 705,
Bazooka Snipers (24" and 30").
Royal Folding Sluice with Gold hog mats.
Thompson 12V Puffer Drywasher.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello to all....

Getting REAL excited that I may be able to get out on my first official excursion for the elusive Au.
No back yard. No local Tot lot. A real excursion :headbang:

But I have two spots that I have to choose between.
Both locations are clear as far as Claims and private property or crazy Government restrictions go.

First location has a fairly good chance of scoring.
Closer drive, Shorter walk and can be explored within a half day, but also a good chance of more People being around.

The other is more remote but real neat canyons and gulches to explore, longer drive, longer hike and no guarantee on finding anything. More unknowns for sure, which has me leaning toward the second location.

Either way I go, I'll post my experiences here..... Good or bad.

I have no fear of the Skunk as I don't really care at this point.
I just want to get out there and swing my thing and dig some dirt :thumbsup:

Cheers!

G

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like your avatar too and more handsome than mine. :icon_thumleft: The main thing is your getting out to enjoy yourself. I don't rate my hunts with what I find, only if I had fun and knees allowed me to get up again.

Featherdfishead

Apr 4, 2014
Callahan-ScottValley-Salmon River, Ca
Detector(s) used
Primarily Minelab SDC 2300
and Gold Bug Pro with NEL Sharpshooter, Grey Ghost Phones, an EzSluice, a good Pan, various Diggn Tools, and a Good'Ol Dog or Two
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Another vote for best avatar!
Go for option #2 - the harder to access and more remote spots nearly always have had less people mining them and you also get the rush of exploring that easily accessed places cant provide. Good Luck G-Bone - Beat that skunk man! and if not smack it around! LOL
AjR

GreyGhost

Feb 14, 2010
AZ
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello to all....

Getting REAL excited that I may be able to get out on my first official excursion for the elusive Au.
No back yard. No local Tot lot. A real excursion :headbang:

But I have two spots that I have to choose between.
Both locations are clear as far as Claims and private property or crazy Government restrictions go.

First location has a fairly good chance of scoring.
Closer drive, Shorter walk and can be explored within a half day, but also a good chance of more People being around.

The other is more remote but real neat canyons and gulches to explore, longer drive, longer hike and no guarantee on finding anything. More unknowns for sure, which has me leaning toward the second location.

Either way I go, I'll post my experiences here..... Good or bad.

I have no fear of the Skunk as I don't really care at this point.
I just want to get out there and swing my thing and dig some dirt :thumbsup:

Cheers!

G

Location #2 might work best for your Gold Bug Pro because of the possibility of BEDROCK. This will be the best scenario for your detector. Just imagine that it only detects 3 to 4 inches down into the ground. When I first started out I think I had a lot higher hopes for my GBP and would detect all kinds of ground, and I never found anything.
So look for SHALLOW ground, like bedrock and swing your coil over those areas first. I'm not saying your detector won't go deeper than that but all detectors are limited, they aren't ground penetrating radar, and shallow scenarios will work best for you if you're just starting out. Bedrock will also be easier for you in the beginning than tough, mineralized soils and clays until you get the hang of ground balancing and avoiding hot rocks.

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Go first to the second location and look for previous old workings and hit it hard. Good luck on your adventure. Local tot lots will be waiting when you get back. LOL

OP
OP
G-bone

G-bone

Dec 9, 2014
Ventura Ca
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro w/ NEL coil.
Minelab Xterra 705,
Bazooka Snipers (24" and 30").
Royal Folding Sluice with Gold hog mats.
Thompson 12V Puffer Drywasher.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good point on the GBP, GreyG.
Keep it real and stay within it's boundaries and where it works best.
I've already caught myself thinking I have x-ray vision to China :laughing7:
So you hit home on that one.

Placer :laughing7: you're absolutely right!
I will be back to the tot-lot for sure.
I'm gonna have my wife do some planting of stuff too.
I have a vile built up of just under a gram from my desert trips.
It makes some noise when waved by at 4" (in air), so that I think it'll be good practice to find that.

Unfortunately, I can not do Canyon #2 this weekend.
With Easter and Family schedules changing, I had to forgo a full day and did an afternoon run, yesterday.
Went to Canyon #1 and posted on it.

Canyon #2 will be made when I have a FULL day.
Start at day break and get back to the car at Dusk.
Just getting up into that whole area will be sweet and can't wait.
I actually want to make it into a little overnighter up there....
that would be awesome to explore all day and have a dinner up there.
Spend the night and to wake up with some coffee and start searching again.

Anyway.

thanks and Cheers

G

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread