Me and my SDC

Featherdfishead

Apr 4, 2014
Callahan-ScottValley-Salmon River, Ca
Detector(s) used
Primarily Minelab SDC 2300
and Gold Bug Pro with NEL Sharpshooter, Grey Ghost Phones, an EzSluice, a good Pan, various Diggn Tools, and a Good'Ol Dog or Two
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just got home from an amazing day. I haven't been out since i found the big flake in my short hour hunt back on march 23rd.
I've been dealing with my grandmother being on her death bed and kids sick with the flu. I have been needing a day like today to put a big smile on my face and a happy memory in my book of life.

I covered allot of ground today. I started the morning early high on a ridge fallowing an old ground sluice to it up most workings. After digging a handful of nails and afew pieces of lead, and random pieces of wire and bits of old can and boot tacks I had covered the area thoroughly without finding a single piece of gold. The uppermost workings were originally fed by a series of small ponds stepping down from the saddle of the ridge, one feeding the other with the final one feeding the placer workings below. These were all sedimented in and dry but were very cool to look at. (On a typical year i'd have been under 10 ft of snow were i stood)
Reaching these upper limits i headed higher to the saddle and spotted workings all along the ridge. The ridge saddle was all serpentine that was crisscrossed by rhiolite veins. The old timers hadnt left a single vein un-dug. Many were small holes afew feet wide and 6 to 10 feet long while others were good sized pits 10 to 15 feet deep and three times as long. Scanning the pits and tailings i dug afew more nails and five or six small fragments of lead. Then i got a strong signal in one of the piles next to a small pit working. Must be a piece of jack i thought not having found nails or trash thus far. 9 inches or so down i found an old tobacco tin. Cleaned up nice enough to ID. its an Edgeworth Extra High Grade "Ready-Rubbed" Smoking Tobacco produced by Larus and Brother Company, Inc. in Richmond, Virginia between 1910 and 1926. I rarely keep junk but liked this peace.
After putting the tin in my pack i headed to the highest point on the ridge to eat some lunch and detect the last destroyed outcropping before circling back down hill to a different old placer workings in the very head waters of a nearby stream. I had taken three bites of my sandwich when my German Shepard/Bull Mastiff Mix dog Dragen (Dutch for Bear) began barking crazy like. Hmm not likely a person, maybe a bear by how shes barking i think. The ridge was very open with only a few old growth Jeffrey Pines an there young attempting to reclaim some ground. I took a few steps to my right while scanning ahead when a juvenile Cougar detached from the shade of a tree about 40 yards off and silently moved across the ridge and down the hill to my left in the direction i had just come. Keeping the dog close i quickly finished my sandwich and set off to see if i could get another view of the cat. Nope it was gone and my dog was hyped up and sniffing all around the tree the cat had been under. Awesome! The first Cougar id seen in a few years, I have been lucky enough to see many in my life and have never had any trouble. I rarely pack but nearly always have a dog or two with me. Very excited about seeing the cat and glad i had explored this new area i circled back around the ridge and headed down twords the placer workings in the headwaters of the stream below.
I had found gold in the headwater workings last spring but by digging not detecting. That day i dug a few pickers while a buddy of mine detected a penny weight piece down stream from me. He later cleaned this area for a solid 6 dwt, while i dug around and found afew penny weight but was unable to detect a piece. The area was very hard on my GB Pro so i would usually detect awhile and then not finding anything pan awhile to bring home some color. Talking with a fellow local miners i know a 1/2 oz,1/3 oz and many penny weight pieces have been found in the area panning but not so many detecting. I have always believed more gold is waiting for a coil here but until today just couldnt hit on it. Little did i know it was going to be such a unique and beautiful piece.
I headed down stream as to work my way upstream and out as the day proceeded to afternoon. I began detecting above the area my buddy had creamed and slowly worked up river. The stream even hear in its head waters is only a very small trickle. To pan youd need to build yourself a small damn. I reached a nice pinch with a steep hill slope on the right and high bed rock covered by tailings diving into the stream on the left. the trickle of water slowly snaked through the four feet of substrate that separated the bedrock and the hill slope. Just were the tailings on the bedrock dove into the trickle i got a faint whisper. Being directly on bed rock and not seeing anything i broke up the serpentine a little and scanned again. Not deaper but in the bank more, under the tightly pack tailing. After digging out a few softball sized cobbles that were very wedged i scanned again and got a screamer. Scooped the little bit of gravels from were the rocks had been and to my surprise a Beautiful Piece of White God? or Silver? I knew the historic placer claim records had reported placer silver nuggets in its finds but this piece was so heavy and very lightly yellow i wasn't sure. I cleaned the entire area with the remaining time i had but found only one other small flake of gold.
Once home i hit it with my GB Pro and it hits at 60 - Gold for Sure in my opinion. The lightest colored piece i've ever found. A Find of My Life and just the type of day id been needn. The White Gold piece weighed in at 1.9 dwt. You'll notice the darker areas on the one side - they are very dark red to copper colored. Some of the other gold found here in the past has been red, green and black - and now white.
SDC warbled along. Had to learn the look of some of the cold rocks but they were easy to see and hear once i got used to them.
Thanks for sharing my Adventure
Happy Hunting and Good Luck!
AjR

Attachments

• sdcmulecrkwhtgold12015.jpg
    sdcmulecrkwhtgold12015.jpg
    312.7 KB · Views: 100
  • sdcwhtgldclosebck2015.jpg
    sdcwhtgldclosebck2015.jpg
    255.1 KB · Views: 106
  • sdcwhtgldclose2015.jpg
    sdcwhtgldclose2015.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 110
  • sdcwhtgldclose22015.jpg
    sdcwhtgldclose22015.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 85
  • sdctbtin2015.jpg
    sdctbtin2015.jpg
    217.6 KB · Views: 106
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Featherdfishead

Featherdfishead

Apr 4, 2014
Detector(s) used
and Gold Bug Pro with NEL Sharpshooter, Grey Ghost Phones, an EzSluice, a good Pan, various Diggn Tools, and a Good'Ol Dog or Two
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Forgot to mention i'm going to cook the nugget off tomorrow to make sure its not mercury.
AjR

procali

Nov 16, 2013
BajaMex
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, ctx 3030, sdc 2300, Sovereign Gt, Excal 1000, x-terra 705, profind, propointer. Stealth 720i and 920ix
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great read and comgrats on the gold, you just sparked that gold itch, may have to go next week to the near gold fields. Gl and hh.

G-bone

Dec 9, 2014
Ventura Ca
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro w/ NEL coil.
Minelab Xterra 705,
Bazooka Snipers (24" and 30").
Royal Folding Sluice with Gold hog mats.
Thompson 12V Puffer Drywasher.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seeing a Ghost Cat AND getting a nice Nugget of White Gold in one day.
Very cool indeed.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A little bleach will clean that nugget up real nice. Nice story but not nice cougar though. Usually the only time seen is on your back. Lotza luck-John

OP
OP
Featherdfishead

Featherdfishead

Apr 4, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Knowing that true white gold doesn't exist, but hoping that my piece was just extremely white i put it to the torch after the Easter egg hunt this morning. My hopes went up in mercury smoke. I'd seen allot of merc gold before from Whites and Eddys Gulchs on the Salmon River but they were much more coated and appeared almost waxy like old lead. Any way now she's lookn nicen gold.
AjR

Attachments

• sdcwhtgldcln2015.jpg
    sdcwhtgldcln2015.jpg
    202.9 KB · Views: 95

Jim Hemmingway

Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Detector(s) used
F-75, Infinium LS, MXT, GoldBug2, TDI Pro, 1280X Aquanaut, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey AjR that was a really interesting description of your recent outing, I could almost see it. Thankyou for sharing with us, and congratulations on the handsome gold. Well done!!! :icon_thumleft:

Jim.

Hamfist

Aug 1, 2014
SoCal
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Whippet, 151, GH, shovel, brain
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice shark tooth nugget!

Mine hasn't found anything nearly that...yellow yet. Lots of birdshot, though.

OP
OP
Featherdfishead

Featherdfishead

Apr 4, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It does look like a shark tooth - sweet and thanks. I'm lookn forward to diveing with her soon. You prospecting or sea hunting Hamfist?

Hamfist

Aug 1, 2014
SoCal
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Whippet, 151, GH, shovel, brain
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Prospecting. Slalom water skiing is one of my other great obsessions.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread