first detector help mentor

ezrider2

Nov 17, 2014
Fairfax Va
Detector(s) used
Angus MacKirk Recon 2 and Boss 2, Custom made 52" river sluice, pans, Viper vac.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello
I just got my first detector! A Garrett Ace 350 (rip mr garrett). I know it is not a pro model ... I am just trying to learn before buying a more expensive machine. Any pointers or tips? Want to show a newbie how to detect or meet up? Any help is greatly appreciated!
Thanks
Ez

Upvote 0

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'd help you in a heartbeat, but far too far away.

Go to youtube and watch lots of detecting videos.

Read through my main thread on this page, lots of tips.

Get out and start swinging that coil and learn everything you can about your machine.

Take the manual to bed and read it night after night, absorbing every detail about your machine until you no longer have to reference it, except for very specific questions.

Build a test bed and be sure you can recover and ID what you've buried, then get out and put as many miles on your machine detecting whenever and wherever you can.

Informed time while swinging your coil can't be replaced with anything else. True experience can only be gained in that manner, then go buy a better machine . . . one with the necessary tech to hunt in highly mineralized goldfield soils.

All the best,

Lanny

Featherdfishead

Apr 4, 2014
Callahan-ScottValley-Salmon River, Ca
Detector(s) used
Primarily Minelab SDC 2300
and Gold Bug Pro with NEL Sharpshooter, Grey Ghost Phones, an EzSluice, a good Pan, various Diggn Tools, and a Good'Ol Dog or Two
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Lanny's threads will be a great help. Keep everything you find for awhile in a box and test different things from the box under different conditions and depths. Then have a buddy grab out a few items and bury them for you to ID. Once you're dialed to your machine there will be few you miss or at least know but must check out.

Good Luck
AjR

G-bone

Dec 9, 2014
Ventura Ca
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro w/ NEL coil.
Minelab Xterra 705,
Bazooka Snipers (24" and 30").
Royal Folding Sluice with Gold hog mats.
Thompson 12V Puffer Drywasher.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ezrider2,

Good for you on the new tool.
Lanny and AJR are right on the money.
I've been doing exactly the things they mention (except sleep with the manual - wifey would get worried :).

I've been through my back yard 30 times now and find things I missed the first 20 times.
the local Tot lots (sand playground), up in the hills behind me, etc. anywhere you can, anytime you can.

I can't speak of the ACE 350 and how it works, but learning the sounds of my GB pro as related to the targets you find.
That's the ticket!! So saving all the things you find and re-burying and listening to them and Learn the sound it gives off.

Also, try not to read any of the "legal" posts on T-net just yet.
it can get quite disheartening to read about all the places "off limits" for metal detecting/prospecting.
If the government had their way completely.....you might as well stay home.
BUT - you need to stay informed. Research areas you want to hunt to make sure it's truly ok.
Ignorance is no excuse anymore with the internet.
And when you're ready, get involved. Join a club (prospecting or MD club).

I'm still new at this as well, so that's just my 2 cents.
Good luck.

G

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread