Specimen in highly mineralized ground

Brivic1

Feb 20, 2013
Magalia, Nor Calif. formaly Vic. Australia
Detector(s) used
A2b groundhog/ whites GM3/ Vsat, and TDI.
13hp 5" jawcrusher, Dryblower, recirc. HB.
F md-20............ Goldbug Pro / 5"and 10" coils
Whites TDI several coils............... My own dowsing tools

Primary Interest:
Other
Recently I was using my old whites Vsat GM3 downslope from an outcropping, high in the mtns of Northern Calif. It was a terrible place to hunt No trash but hot ground all over. Then I hit on a solid sound . as if it were a 30.06 cartridge case.A solid and clear signal.
I soon had it out of the ground, about 4 " down max. It was a lumpy , heavy stone... or whatever. Too much dirt on it so , taking a walk to the truck and some water in a pan, brush a little , softly... and there shone gold.
I will attach some images.
The specimen is 2" x2" x 2" and weighs 55 gram. A quartz matrix and iron staining , . It is a crystaline , lacey specimen. I thought of nitric , to melt away the rocky quartze etc. But, who knows of its make-up.

Anyway, some of my mates thrashed the area with various machines, VLF and Pulse but found no more. All were challenged by the iron ground.

I am needing some ideas.... How would the XP Deus handle this contrary ironstone ground? . I have heard that it is a great machine.
Anyone with info on the XP wireless Deus and this kind of situation please comment or contact.. Thank you all, Brian
1.jpg 209.jpg 209a.jpg 210.jpg ]

Attachments

• 213.jpg
    213.jpg
    208.3 KB · Views: 259
Last edited:
Upvote 0

strick

Feb 28, 2005
SF Bay Area
Detector(s) used
Embarrassed to tell
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice work Brian! A PI is going to be your best bet in that kinda ground. The Deus in the gold fields program is super chatty on the hot rocks. In the right hands it will find gold but not many using them for that. SDC 2300 would work well on that type of ground.

strick

dave wiseman

Jul 23, 2004
Angels Camp,Ca.
Looks fairly rough,so it's close to the source.Take some samples of that vein or others nearby...and nitric acid won't dissolve the quartz...hydrofluoric will,but is very dangerous stuff.

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice find. As Dave suggests some sampling is definitely recommended. As to detection it'd probably be good to rake and detect and horedoc's suggestion of a SDC is a good one. VLF's will be challenged by the minerals judging by that specimen. I would not try to remove the stone with acid, hydrofluoric being the only one that will affect quartz, as it looks like it will break down and fall apart when the host rock is removed. Though you may get a lacy piece out of it most of it will have to be recovered in a pan.

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well done and very nice specimen, pieces like this are treasures in themselves when left intact.

Jim Hemmingway

Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Detector(s) used
F-75, Infinium LS, MXT, GoldBug2, TDI Pro, 1280X Aquanaut, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Brian… a very fine quality specimen… congratulations. :icon_thumleft:

The advice above is all good. I wouldn't mess around too much with it, and definitely would not attempt to reduce the amount of quartz in the more fragile areas containing the crystalline gold… too easy to damage it. Give the specimen a careful cleaning / rinse and be content with the way it looks. The inclusions and iron stains are an important part of its inherent natural appeal.

Jim.

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
Recently I was using my old whites Vsat GM3 downslope from an outcropping, high in the mtns of Northern Calif. It was a terrible place to hunt No trash but hot ground all over. Then I hit on a solid sound . as if it were a 30.06 cartridge case.A solid and clear signal.
I soon had it out of the ground, about 4 " down max. It was a lumpy , heavy stone... or whatever. Too much dirt on it so , taking a walk to the truck and some water in a pan, brush a little , softly... and there shone gold.
The specimen is 2" x2" x 2" and weighs 55 gram. A quartz matrix and iron staining , . It is a crystaline , lacey specimen. I thought of nitric , to melt away the rocky quartze etc. But, who knows of its make-up.

Anyway, some of my mates thrashed the area with various machines, VLF and Pulse but found no more. All were challenged by the iron ground.

I am needing some ideas.... How would the XP Deus handle this contrary ironstone ground? . I have heard that it is a great machine.
Anyone with info on the XP wireless Deus and this kind of situation please comment or contact.. Thank you all, Brian
View attachment 1149961 View attachment 1149962 View attachment 1149963 View attachment 1149964 ]

I think either a PI or a dedicated VLF gold machine is your best bet here.... I really don't think the Deus would offer any advantages and may not perform as well.
Buy the way...... Beautiful specimen....
:occasion14:

OP
OP
Brivic1

Brivic1

Feb 20, 2013
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Other
Brian… a very fine quality specimen… congratulations. :icon_thumleft:

The advice above is all good. I wouldn't mess around too much with it, and definitely would not attempt to reduce the amount of quartz in the more fragile areas containing the crystalline gold… too easy to damage it. Give the specimen a careful cleaning / rinse and be content with the way it looks. The inclusions and iron stains are an important part of its inherent natural appeal.

Jim.

Thanks Jim, Thank you all for your answers.
Believe me the area is a hotbed from 7000 feet to 3, 000ft all the same rock structure.
My friends had a TDI and another a ML 4500 ? , both pulse. And of course the whites VLF and a whites gmc? or k cannot remember. All of us were beaten by that ironized ground.

As you all know.... and you have all done this test ... get a rock, hot or cold. that is giving off a signal, take it from the ground environment, hold it up 3 feet or so, take your pinpointer, and it will not sound off. Thats the place we are into..
I am not a mining geologist but have been detecting since the mid 1960s

The XP D came from a friend who gave it a good mark on gold programme .
As I said before we all were stymied by the ground.

I am going to pothole and sample at 2 feet below GL about every 10 ft upslope and keep a graph/ map of it all

I thank you all for the warm help..
Cheers, Brian

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Booyaah!!

Great find! What a beautiful piece.

As for the ironstone ground, are you referring to chunks of magnetite? If so, a DD coil on a good pulse machine should quiet that down. On my 5000 with a DD, they're not a problem, with a mono, they can be a problem. But, I don't know the size of your chunks of ironstone either.

When you say your friends were challenged by the iron ground, could they not ground balance? Or, was there constantly chatter? No depth?

Sorry I can't help you with the XP wireless Deus.

All the best,

Lanny

Featherdfishead

Apr 4, 2014
Callahan-ScottValley-Salmon River, Ca
Detector(s) used
Primarily Minelab SDC 2300
and Gold Bug Pro with NEL Sharpshooter, Grey Ghost Phones, an EzSluice, a good Pan, various Diggn Tools, and a Good'Ol Dog or Two
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Beautiful Specimen Brivic !
All the best advice above and it sounds like you got your sampling tech down. If you have access I'd try the SDC mine handle very hot ground amazingly well.
Good Luck and Keep us posted.

G-bone

Dec 9, 2014
Ventura Ca
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro w/ NEL coil.
Minelab Xterra 705,
Bazooka Snipers (24" and 30").
Royal Folding Sluice with Gold hog mats.
Thompson 12V Puffer Drywasher.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A beautiful piece indeed. Love the close up shots.
I agree, it's worth going back and sampling the area in depth.

Unless your trying to recover the gold itself for monetary value, I'd make a nice mount and leave her as is.

Great find!

OP
OP
Brivic1

Brivic1

Feb 20, 2013
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Other
Beautiful Specimen Brivic !
All the best advice above and it sounds like you got your sampling tech down. If you have access I'd try the SDC mine handle very hot ground amazingly well.
Good Luck and Keep us posted.

Thanks all of you, I watched a shoot-out between a Garrett ATX pro and a ML sdc... It was the Garret by a gnats hair... There was a sort of blind spot with the sdc on a small nugg at 8 "..
After all of these 50 + years I may go get another Garret and get the duff all off of 20 x 40 ft of that slope and go look for that reef.. and then replant with geraniums heh heh, and some DF.

Thanks again , all good info.
Cheerio , Brian

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Beautiful specimen and congrats on an amazing find! If I had found such a specimen, then I would bucket up all of the material I could from where and around where it was found and downhill (downstream) as much more is likely there and also much has eroded out long ago. I am wondering if an old White's Goldmaster 66-T would be up to the task of signaling on the Gold and not the Iron and Hot rocks. They can either operate in Mineral (ferrous) or Metal (non-ferrous) mode and I think a combination of both. I have one but need to make a minor repair to the battery connections and change out the old battery pack holders to newer ones before I take it out. I have 5 coils ranging from a 3.5 inch Sniping type coil all the way up to a 30 inch whopper coil. I am hoping that when I get the repairs and modifications done, that the 30 inch coil will pick up a Gold nugget in the back pocket of a Chinaman from Tennessee, LOL!

Frank

Last edited:

Featherdfishead

Apr 4, 2014
Callahan-ScottValley-Salmon River, Ca
Detector(s) used
Primarily Minelab SDC 2300
and Gold Bug Pro with NEL Sharpshooter, Grey Ghost Phones, an EzSluice, a good Pan, various Diggn Tools, and a Good'Ol Dog or Two
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Brivic1 - I know the videos your talking about but feel there is plenty of evidence out that the SDC is more sensitive to small gold, has no falseing problems, has more power, and is overall a better design and build. The ATX is a great machine but when it comes to a prospecting only unit the SDC is superior. All detectors have a hole in there detecting field. Find that window and you could film any machines week point.

AjR

kayakpat

Mar 31, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
they sure are gorgeous, Those must be from the source where they formed, they don't look beaten

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

timemachine

Apr 8, 2015
Seattle
Detector(s) used
GPZ7000 / Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Really, so ya say "...high in the mountains of Northern California..." eh,? Interesting... :notworthy:

OP
OP
Brivic1

Brivic1

Feb 20, 2013
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Other
Time machine, Mytime to shine, hello, both use "time" in your handle. . interesting. Franklin Graham once said, " time is like a river, you can only touch it once"
Well , when my knee gets healed I will try to touch that river again, right where I found this specimen and the area uphill .'may have to chase off a few bears tho.

Who knows, its mate may still be there and that river can be touched again. Tho I definitely will be using a pulse machine , ATX or M/L.... After we drill a bunch of sample holes that is.

We just have to keep looking , it is there someplace. Happy hunting to all . G'nite. BV

OP
OP
Brivic1

Brivic1

Feb 20, 2013
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Other
G'day my friends................. Just to update you all.

Health has kept me down low since about June, but not my mates, just last week F found the little brother and sister to my find.
Same matrix , same location, but 20 ft or so uphill.
A couple of friends had detected that area after I left and did no good, then up comes F , for another shot,with the same detector as mine... Vsat GM3 and scores twice,, Maybe total weight out-did my find... I hope anyway. I smiled all night when I got the word of his finds... tickeld me pink.. Good hunting to all of you.. Brian

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread