a perfect nugget trap

M3R1IN

Oct 6, 2006
Alberta, Canada
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, stock and DD coil
I found a perfect nugget/ gold trap in montana last week
a place close to the junction of 2 creeks where there is about a 2 foot drop waterfall and a small pool
they built large culvert here to allow the creek to pass in which a person can stand upright
as the pool ends it runs over natural bedrock that is has very sharp "V" grooves in close succession
it runs in the exact opposite direction of the waterflow, intersecting it as a "t" or "X" would
my question is ,,, how does one nugget shoot here without a dredge?
i have a wet/dry shopvac and an ATV with a AC/DC converter which will run it too...
i am just wondering if it would be worth dragging that hulking mass around the forest or if there is some other more efficient means of cleaning out those cracks?
thanks

Upvote 0
T

TreasureTales

Depending on the depth and width of the crevices, how about trying a turkey baster? I'm serious, try a bulb style turkey baster. There are some suction tubes that might work, but they are hard to handle if the water is moving swiftly.

See this website for info: http://www.sheetmetalmining.com/

OP
OP
M3R1IN

M3R1IN

Oct 6, 2006
Alberta, Canada
Detector(s) used
Thanks for the tip
I was also wondering if a bilge pump would be of any use for such applications?

T

TreasureTales

M3R1IN said:
Thanks for the tip
I was also wondering if a bilge pump would be of any use for such applications?

You might want to send a Private Message (a PM) to a TNetter named Jeffro because he has all kinds of experience with gold recovery. You can find him by reading the online names at the bottom of the Home page - click on his name, then go into his profile and send him a PM. I'm sure he can answer all your questions.

fastforty

Aug 8, 2006
Porterville
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, Ace 250
I get a suction device from the Dollar Store. It's about 1-1/2" in diameter & about a foot & 1/2 long. They are in the section with all of the pool toys. They have a tiny hole for shooting a stream of water out of, just drill it out to 3/8" & it'll suck the hair off of a frog's back with one quick tug on the plunger.

Edit: Here's the pics (hey, less then a year later, LOL).
b4sx9s.jpg

2rcl5io.jpg

T

TreasureTales

fastforty said:
I get a suction device from the Dollar Store. It's about 1-1/2" in diameter & about a foot & 1/2 long. They are in the section with all of the pool toys. They have a tiny hole for shooting a stream of water out of, just drill it out to 3/8" & it'll suck the hair off of a frog's back with one quick tug on the plunger.

Hi fastforty, welcome to treasurenet. Can you post a picture of the suction device? I'd like to see it. How are things in Porterville? Do you know a guy named Laurie (that's his last name)?

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
There are plans on the net somewhere for converting that shop vac to gas using a weedeater motor, pretty convenient for backpacking.

Depending on the conditions, over burden, water flow, etc. you could approach it several ways. Gentle flow with 1 to 2 feet of water over the cracks, I'd use nothing but a ping pong paddle to sweep the gravel out of the cracks, and a pair of long tweezers to snipe the gold. An old coleman fuel can,(the rectangular kind) makes a great viewer. cut out both ends, silicone in a piece of plexiglass cut to fit, wrap the lip of the other end with an old firehose or burlap, and your good to go. Hold it in your teeth with the burlap protecting your teeth, and touch the plexiglass bottom to the water while bending or kneeling. Works better than a face mask and your hands are free to move rocks.

A foot or so of overburden can be stripped away right quick with a metal garden rake, the kind with the stiff tines. Not a leaf rake.

Knee pads are a must if your gonna be bent over for any length of time. If nothing else, an old innertube cut into four equal 90 degree sections will work. cut a hole in the back part right behind where it'll ride on your knee, it keeps it from bunching when you squat. Slip them over your jeans like waders.

All your usual hand tools will probably come in handy. I especially like the Estwing rock pick. A little spendy, but worth it.

Paint all your tools flourescent. Harder to lose them that way.

Good luck and happy hunting!

Willy

Stick a piece of clear lexan tubing (the kind they use for beer making), or the PVC used to provide water to sinks, into an enema bulb. The rubber is thicker and provides for far more suction. A bit embarrassing to purchase, but works better than a turkey baster and is tougher rubber. ..Willy.

OP
OP
M3R1IN

M3R1IN

Oct 6, 2006
Alberta, Canada
Detector(s) used
i have a small gas generator im gonna take with me and my little wet vac and see how that works
I'll have to use my facemask this time around for seeing stuff... even though i work in a glass shop i just havent had a spare minute to build a viewer, working 10 hour+ days for 3 weeks straight sure has left me drained. Thanks for all the awesome ideas guys
P.S. Im taking off sunday afternoon and i will be back tuesday night so i will let u guys know how it goes

T

TreasureTales

M3R1IN said:
i have a small gas generator im gonna take with me and my little wet vac and see how that works
I'll have to use my facemask this time around for seeing stuff... even though i work in a glass shop i just havent had a spare minute to build a viewer, working 10 hour+ days for 3 weeks straight sure has left me drained. Thanks for all the awesome ideas guys
P.S. Im taking off sunday afternoon and i will be back tuesday night so i will let u guys know how it goes

Take lots of pictures, including of the site, please. We love photos! Good luck to you.

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
fastforty said:

lol I love your way with words! Puts that picture right in your mind. I am also real happy to hear your idea as I was planning on building one and this sounds such much easier! ;) Thanks for sharing!

OP
OP
M3R1IN

M3R1IN

Oct 6, 2006
Alberta, Canada
Detector(s) used
Ok so i just got back from Helena. Its been raining there heavily for several days and will continue to for the rest of the week
needless to say, i did get some gold and some good pics of the old mines and stuff there which i will post when i get the time to downsize my photos and such. Its 10:30pm here and im tired so i just wanted to let u guys know how it went. I scrapped bringing the shop vac and generator and went with the enema bulb idea...thank goodness for automated self checkouts to avoid the embarrassing purchase. I got there and the water is way deeper and faster than b4 so i cant stand in it without getting knocked over so i will wait till im there next time which i hope will be soon. I need to get a metal detector because theres some tempting tailings id like to mull over. anyways ill post more later.

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
Sounds like an interesting trip! Glad you are home safe and sound in your own bed now and looking forward to hearing more about the trip!

OP
OP
M3R1IN

M3R1IN

Oct 6, 2006
Alberta, Canada
Detector(s) used
sorry guys, i worked an 11 hour shift today when it was supposed to be 8 and had a whole bunch of stuff to do 'round the house tonight so i will have to put those photos off again, I promise i will post them as soon as i have time

OP
OP
M3R1IN

M3R1IN

Oct 6, 2006
Alberta, Canada
Detector(s) used
ok guys here are some pics, i was taking them all on the fly because it was cold there hovering around freezing and threatening to snow but i just put on the neoprene gloves and boots and i cant even feel the cold water, HA! anyways heres some pics:

Attachments

• IMG_0450-640.jpg
    IMG_0450-640.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 1,578
  • IMG_0451-640.jpg
    IMG_0451-640.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 1,554
  • IMG_0452-640.jpg
    IMG_0452-640.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 1,540
  • IMG_0453-640.jpg
    IMG_0453-640.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 1,516
  • IMG_0462-640.jpg
    IMG_0462-640.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 1,493
  • IMG_0463-640.jpg
    IMG_0463-640.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 1,501
OP
OP
M3R1IN

M3R1IN

Oct 6, 2006
Alberta, Canada
Detector(s) used
more pics

Attachments

• IMG_0467-640.jpg
    IMG_0467-640.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 1,406
  • IMG_0466-640.jpg
    IMG_0466-640.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 1,417
  • IMG_0476-640.jpg
    IMG_0476-640.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 1,476
  • IMG_0464-640.jpg
    IMG_0464-640.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 1,445
  • IMG_0465-640.jpg
    IMG_0465-640.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 1,412
OP
OP
M3R1IN

M3R1IN

Oct 6, 2006
Alberta, Canada
Detector(s) used
pics

Attachments

• IMG_0476-640.jpg
    IMG_0476-640.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 1,400
  • IMG_0476-640.jpg
    IMG_0476-640.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 1,298
  • IMG_0476-640.jpg
    IMG_0476-640.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 1,374
  • IMG_0479-640.jpg
    IMG_0479-640.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 1,368
  • IMG_0481-640.jpg
    IMG_0481-640.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 1,349
  • IMG_0482-640.jpg
    IMG_0482-640.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 1,384
  • IMG_0483-640.jpg
    IMG_0483-640.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 1,333
  • IMG_0485-640.jpg
    IMG_0485-640.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 1,300
  • IMG_0476-640.jpg
    IMG_0476-640.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 1,303
The countryside looks beautiful. Too bad it was so cold. I don't know about anyone else, but I used to think mines were neat and although I never did, I always thought about venturing inside. That is until I watched a movie titled "Descent". It wasn't the creatures that creeped me out, it was the part where the main characters are crawling through a very tight tunnel and the rocks started to shift as the last lady is crawling through. She doesn't get crushed or anything, it's just very suspenseful and made me realize how horrible it would be to be trapped in a cave.

OP
OP
M3R1IN

M3R1IN

Oct 6, 2006
Alberta, Canada
Detector(s) used
yeah i did venture into one of them but only about 20 yards or so i didnt have any flashlight and using the piddly little spot finder on my compact digital camera doesnt cut it so not this time.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread