Got out this weekend

G-bone

Dec 9, 2014
Ventura Ca
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro w/ NEL coil.
Minelab Xterra 705,
Bazooka Snipers (24" and 30").
Royal Folding Sluice with Gold hog mats.
Thompson 12V Puffer Drywasher.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all,

Well my planets all lined up this weekend and I was able to hit the area I've been eye-balling the last couple months.
Lots of mining history surrounds the area and two old mines were supposedly up this canyon as well.
The first one being about 2.5 miles up the canyon and apparently was a Titanium mine.
The second, being at the 3.8 mile mark and was a gold mine.
So I was very optimistic about this recon.

My goal was to find that Gold mine at the end of the canyon, and from there work my way out with the detector.
Start time - 8:40am

First good sign was that no humans have been up this canyon for quite some time.
While that is a good thing, it means there was really no trail to speak of.
This canyon was very overgrown and I was following game trails for the most part and I was so glad I brought my machete. 4 miles of Chaparral jungle to negotiate. good times.

When I hit the location of the first Mine (per my GPS), It was not visible from the canyon floor.
I could see some benches high up the mountain side which looked like where it might have been.
But I had no time to go look for it. I needed to get to the end of the canyon..... stick to the plan.

After 4 miles I had come to where my GPS was saying the second mine was.
And I could see what I thought was it's opening, but it too was on a very steep hill side, and at this point after 4 hours of hiking, I was not going to make it to the mine itself. not enough time. I had 4 miles to detect on the way out so I decided to call it good right there.
Macked my PB&J sandwich and set up my gear (12:40pm).

So to shorten it all up, Working my way down the canyon.
Lots of beautiful bedrock.
bedrock_1_050215.jpg
bedrock_2_050215.jpg
bedrock_3_050215.jpg

Took my time on the the way out. Stopped a few times to take it all in.
Beautiful canyon indeed....but Momma earth decided today was not the day for me.
050215_trip.jpg

I will be going again up to find those mines.
I think that will later in the year, when it cools down a bit though.
I was packed to the gils, so no room to bring any sample material home either.
next time.....

Awesome hike. Awesome scenery.
Gave thanks for being there and getting out safely.
Back to the car by 6:45pm.

Ready for my next adventure.

Cheers

G

Upvote 0

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Great little write-up about your adventure. I really enjoyed it.

It was smart to stick to your plan so you didn't run out of daylight or get yourself hung-up in the middle of nowhere. It sounds like a vey interesting area, and you sure found a lot of "leavings" from the passing of fellow humans.

I see you've got a bigger bore slug there with grease grooves on it; that ones a bit old I'd say.

Thanks again for taking the time to write about your prospecting/adventure outing.

All the best,

Lanny

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You sound like a good hiking partner for Herb but alas he's in Tejas now as he is indeed fleet a feet for MILES!!!!John

OP
OP
G-bone

G-bone

Dec 9, 2014
Ventura Ca
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys.

Indeed Lanny, that one looks pretty old and I now think I should go put it back as it is considered a historic relic.
Looks older than 1965 (50 years) to me.

That night I was sitting on my throne and picked up Jim straight's book and ironically enough opening up
right to the page that says "Gold Nuggets Whisper" and MAN did that hit me in the face hard.

That canyon was littered with uber-HOT rocks as well, but so many times I heard those whispers.
I should have dug more. I got lazy and started assuming it was trash, and passed on it.

All the more reason to go back. on a cooler day too.
No matter what I can home with, it just felt really good to get out there.

Cheers

G

Featherdfishead

Apr 4, 2014
Callahan-ScottValley-Salmon River, Ca
Detector(s) used
Primarily Minelab SDC 2300
and Gold Bug Pro with NEL Sharpshooter, Grey Ghost Phones, an EzSluice, a good Pan, various Diggn Tools, and a Good'Ol Dog or Two
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Keep it up G-bone, the golds out there waiting for you and your Nel coil to cross its path. Dont sweat the whispers you didnt dig, just live and learn. They may have been minerals anyway. Good Luck Man

AjR

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks guys.

Indeed Lanny, that one looks pretty old and I now think I should go put it back as it is considered a historic relic.
Looks older than 1965 (50 years) to me.

That night I was sitting on my throne and picked up Jim straight's book and ironically enough opening up
right to the page that says "Gold Nuggets Whisper" and MAN did that hit me in the face hard.

That canyon was littered with uber-HOT rocks as well, but so many times I heard those whispers.
I should have dug more. I got lazy and started assuming it was trash, and passed on it.

All the more reason to go back. on a cooler day too.
No matter what I can home with, it just felt really good to get out there.

Cheers

G

Some nuggets scream, others whisper, and some only slightly disturb the threshold. The learning curve will eventually work in your favor.

Keep at it and take the pictures and post them when you hit that gold as you will if you stay dedicated.

All the best,

Lanny

timemachine

Apr 8, 2015
Seattle
Detector(s) used
GPZ7000 / Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Those spent rounds look mighty large and old indeed! No point in putting them back; 50 years or not, you've done society a solid by packing them out. Lead leaches into water tables and our wilderness should be litter free...I wouldn't consider them there as relics in my opinion...

OP
OP
G-bone

G-bone

Dec 9, 2014
Ventura Ca
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry Timemachine, I was just joking there.
I'm with you 110% on bring junk home, no matter how old it is.

That whole relic law leaves a sour taste in my mouth anyway.....
500 - 1000 years....OK.
Indian burial ground....By all means. It 's sacred ground.
Old Mining Sites and equipment deserve respect too.

But this 50 year thing is for the birds.
I find a freaking pepsi can from 1962,and I can't touch it and must leave it alone immediately.:hello2::hello2: best joke of the day.

As far as I'm concerned, anything Humans have brought up in those mountains in the last 50 years and left there, doesn't belong there. And if I happen upon it, I should take it out.

Too bad the greenies hate us so much. cuz we really are stewards of the land as well.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread