Lithium Batteries

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
None,use'm as fine in mine and buds units,6 brands of detectors worked just fine. Looking for a ladies lost diamond ring this am with them and they last longer BUT the cost OMG-John

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep just more expensive. They are meant for more energy hungry electronics. Do just as well paying for rechargeable's at the price.

Featherdfishead

Apr 4, 2014
Callahan-ScottValley-Salmon River, Ca
Detector(s) used
Primarily Minelab SDC 2300
and Gold Bug Pro with NEL Sharpshooter, Grey Ghost Phones, an EzSluice, a good Pan, various Diggn Tools, and a Good'Ol Dog or Two
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I use lithium 9v batteries for my GB Pro with no problems. Lithium dont hold up to much banging around or damage of any kind so wrap your extra batteries in something so they don't bounce around in your pack. I had a battery melt on me last year. Luckily i had just reached into the pocket and felt some thing hot pulled it out and dropped it on the ground and my buddy and i stood their watching as it melted into a puddle of goo.

Good Luck
AjR

kayakpat

Mar 31, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes lithium last longer but have had trouble catching fire if slightly damaged, although I am not sure why, probably out of control chemical reaction of sorts.

OP
OP

605dano

Nov 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the replies. I have noticed on other electronics that lithium stay at almost full charge until the end. Would this be an advantage with a metal detector?

kayakpat

Mar 31, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess that is why they last longer

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its not that Li batteries stay at full charge till the end its more that they maintain their output voltage at a steady level till they are just about exhausted then they drop off quickly. Li batteries are good in that they are very steady for output voltage and this allows electronics to operate more efficiently in a steady state. Other batteries have a curve in their output voltage verse's their depletion and this tends to make the electronics unstable towards the end of the batteries life.

OP
OP

605dano

Nov 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess that's my question. Would that be a significant advantage in a metal detector? Enough to justify the additional cost?

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Tried all of the expensive batteries and to me they just didn't justify the expense, Duracell alkalines are what I use. If your machine doesn't have a battery indicator you can get a small pocket meter and occasionally pop out the battery pack and check voltage to make sure your in spec .(thats what I do with my TDI SL) Ask for gift cards to Costco or Walmart at holidays for all batteries you'll need.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Consumers Reports does test every year and no advertising so truth. If memory serves me right Duracell took over from Panasonic alkali but lithium still reigns supreme. I get gold plus panasonic(#1 for almost 10 years) from 99 cent store or Dollar Tree-2-4 for a buck and RIGHTEOUS even in my cameras-John

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For the majority of metal detectors Li batteries are not going to be very advantageous as they, the detectors, are designed to use alkaline. This is why there are battery meters in most brands. Some high end detectors come with Li batteries as they are more computerized and benefit from stable power supplies for performance. The CTX is one such. Hoser John, like others, have the best opinion for inexpensive alkalines. Or go rechargeable.

timemachine

Apr 8, 2015
Seattle
Detector(s) used
GPZ7000 / Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm almost to the point where I wish my detector would have come with the battery option. It holds great charge, and the battery pack is rechargeable, it's jus I always want it at 100% when I need it... I don't mind using rechargeable batteries, but a battery pack limits that option, and if it quits holding a charge 5 yrs from now, I'm screwed...

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AND akin to lithium they also die all at once,always MUST carry a spare set as backup. I do carry extras no matter what is used-John--

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread