On the SDC 2300

Featherdfishead

Apr 4, 2014
Callahan-ScottValley-Salmon River, Ca
Detector(s) used
Primarily Minelab SDC 2300
and Gold Bug Pro with NEL Sharpshooter, Grey Ghost Phones, an EzSluice, a good Pan, various Diggn Tools, and a Good'Ol Dog or Two
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello folks!
Awhile back i was asked about over load on the SDC and have recently done some tests.

I did this quick test in my yard which has moderate soils of 68 on my GB Pro. I plan on doing a test in hot soil also but may be shy some nuggets to do so because im currently liquidating my stash as to pay for my Zuma ( not the 1/4 Ozer though - plan to make it into a necklace for my wife). I used the stock setting of Sens. at 2 with threshold at 3 with my Grey Ghost Headphones. I used 1/4 oz, 2 dwt, and 1 dwt pieces for my test.

The 1/4 ouncer overloaded at 4 inches and closer and the 2 dwt piece at about 2 inches. The 1 dwt piece screamed with the coil directly on it and up to an inch but didnt hit the overload pitch. Yet if i put another small piece, say .1 gram it hits the overload pitch. So it seems that gold smaller than 1.5 dwt wont overload even if directly on coil while gold over 1.5 dwt will hit overload pitch at about an inch.

As you all know the conditions of the soil and shape and angle of the gold all determine its response on our detectors. Thus it is what it is. A guide line at best. I know that i'm still amazed at how strong the signal is with tiny gold on this machine. Now if i can just get time to get out and find me a new spot. The itch needs a scratchn!

I love to hear from others on what they've noticed.

Good Luck - Happy Hunting!
AjR

Nuggets are in order of size

Attachments

• SAM_0064.JPG
    SAM_0064.JPG
    151.5 KB · Views: 120
Upvote 0

Jim Hemmingway

Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Detector(s) used
F-75, Infinium LS, MXT, GoldBug2, TDI Pro, 1280X Aquanaut, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thankyou AjR for doing this test, I guess it means you check out overloads that could possibly be gold. Hopefully a few other guys with the SDC will drop in with their experience in the field. That is awfully handsome gold, thanks again. :icon_thumright:

Jim.

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice gift for your wife! Appreciate hearing about your testing. Thanks for sharing.

OP
OP
Featherdfishead

Featherdfishead

Apr 4, 2014
Detector(s) used
and Gold Bug Pro with NEL Sharpshooter, Grey Ghost Phones, an EzSluice, a good Pan, various Diggn Tools, and a Good'Ol Dog or Two
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks gents,
I do investigate the overloads since they could be a nice nugget. Strange in a way that the machine pitches out on such little gold but so far the gold i have found has been small and has been a strong signal with no overload with my first pass. Most of the time an overload is a big chunk of iron or an old nail near the surface. This you kinda get a feel for just like on a VLF so when i hit one i'll kick the dirt aside and drag my magnet to see what i get. If theirs no evidence of shallow bedrock present and i haven't found any gold in the area and allot of junk is present i'll note to return with my GB Pro and rework the site. Many places i plan on hitting this summer haven't been frequented in along time so have very little modern junk, mostly random nails and pick or shovel tips from the old timers. In conditions like this i dig all signals even when using my GB Pro because many times i find small gold, even undetectable gold laying along side the iron on or in the bedrock. Fishing lead as many of you know sure gives you a jump start as it hit just like a small piece of gold. Luckily on the SDC the waxy lead warbles most of the time but still must be investigated.

The 2dwt piece is the biggest i've found with the SDC and it was in the bank afew inches, it screamed but didnt overload until i dug it out. When it did overload on my next pass i thought it was a nail and was surprised it was a nug when i got it in my hand.

I have much more to learn on the sounds and signals of this machine to hunt by ear comfortably. For some time to come i'll keep digging everything and take note on the machines response. Being so busy lately i feel i have to get back in the saddle for a bit to get in jive with the machine like i was when i first got it and was out nearly everyday.

Hopefully this thread is just a start to an informative reference for we SDC owners and all prospectors that detect for gold.
I'll continue to update as i learn and spend more time with the machine and hopefully some others chime in also. By the end of the season i should have a good grip on the nuances of the machine.

Until next time - go get some Gold! ( i know i need to!)
Adam

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
gpz (died in a fire. rip)
Primary Interest:
Other
i know with the fors gold it will overload on hot serpentine but will never give a grunt or other signal, its either overload or nothing at all. and the coil has to be right on the rock. i would suspect that if it were a good signal when i raise the coil it will produce a tone

Hamfist

Aug 1, 2014
SoCal
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Whippet, 151, GH, shovel, brain
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've only had luck with my SDC in the desert, usually in my own drywasher header pile. It seems somewhat less sensitive than Featheredfishead describes but the gold I'm finding looks much more ragged and porous than the beauties he holds in the photo. I've tested a couple of different .1g nuggets and it doesn't sense a thin elongated piece that I have at all. A rounder piece of the same weight gives a good "dig me" signal. The shape and structure definitely play a role.

OP
OP
Featherdfishead

Featherdfishead

Apr 4, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Good to hear from you guys - the more SDC users we get commenting the more we'll all learn.

Yes beekbuster I'd say gold would make a good signal if you raised the coil away from the bedrock.

Hamfist - Good to hear from ya on the SDC. I've been curious how it hits on more porous gold. Nearly all the gold i hunt is nice and solid and has given a strong signal. I plan on making some time to do some more tests today on my dwindling stash before its gone. I had forgot that i had a small nug that was matrixed with quartz and a somewhat porous piece until i saw them in my stash last night. I plan on testing some very thin and small pieces on angle. I meant to conduct these tests earlier, and did in a rough manner when i first got the machine but with little precision. Just got to busy. I've been carrying a small .1g or smaller piece in tape as my test piece but just haven't been out much lately to test it.

I'll be out this weekend allot as from next week through the next month i'll be training people at work on many scientific field techniques, hydrology, geology, stream morphology, white water safety and wilderness first aid, ect. Very tiring time of year for me and just when the detecting weather is perfect. Even when you love your work as i do its a bummer some times.

More to come on the SDC and its nuances.
AjR

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread