Differences between a few detectorpro headphones?

CA Gold Hunter

Nov 14, 2014
Northern California
Detector(s) used
White's TDI SL, Fors Gold+, Gold Monster 1000, 36" Bazooka Prospector, 30" Bazooka Sniper.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've been looking at getting a new pair of headphones to upgrade from the stock ones that came with my detector and I'm having a bit of a hard time deciding on which ones to get. I'm looking at the gray ghost original ones and then they also have the gray ghost nugget busters. It doesn't seem like there's much difference between the two other than ones 35 bucks more than the other. Do you guys think the price justifies any extra feature's I'm not seeing for the nugget busters?

Here's the original ones I'm looking at:
Detector Pro Original Gray Ghost Headphones Metal Detectors For Sale - Kellyco

And here's the nugget busters:
Detector Pro Nugget Buster NDT Headphones Metal Detectors For Sale - Kellyco

Here's their deep woods version too and the specs seem the same as the others but are even cheaper:
Detector Pro Gray Ghost Deep Woods Metal Detectors For Sale - Kellyco

Thanks for any help or advise you guys can give :)

Upvote 0

Action

Oct 6, 2011
Valley Springs, Ca.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just see Dual rotary volume control as the difference. not needed for me. I say the Originals. I use killer bees with single volume and works well for me.
Jack

californiagold

Aug 7, 2014
California goldfields
Detector(s) used
Makro Gold Racer, Nokta Fors gold plus, Makro racer2, Nokta fors gold, minelab gpx5000, fisher gold bug pro and many many others
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Not sure what the difference in those two. I think alot has to do with what detector you are using them on. Every detector seems to have a perfect match. Alot of higher end headphones are nearly the same performance, but some knock off outside ambient noise better. In the past I tried several different brand headphones. From sunray, detech, and fisher. But I had a $30 pair of calrad headphones that performed equal to the top end headphones that I tried. Only calrad pair doesnt block out as much ambient noise. I tried all these on my gb pro and nokta fors gold. Recently I tried my partners koss ur 30 headphones on both detectors and they are the best headphones I have ever used. They make the tiny gold and faint deep targets sound very loud. The others couldnt compare. Only koss ur 30 does not have dual adjustable volume and doesnt knock out as much ambient noise as other top brands. But I will continue to use these and nothing else. Again these koss headphones are probably that perfect match for the gb pro and fors gold. But may not be a match for other detectors. Maybe the best way would be to go to a detector store and try several brands with a tiny piece of gold. And see if your satisfied with the ambient blocking with each brand. If you buy some online you might just get some that are not a good match for your detector. And then be hurting your chances for finding targets. My partner bought a pair of detech audiotech headphones for her gb pro and they are not a good match for it. They seem to sound muffled on target sounds.
Well I wish you luck with whatever kind you get.
Take care

OP
OP
CA Gold Hunter

CA Gold Hunter

Nov 14, 2014
Northern California
Detector(s) used
White's TDI SL, Fors Gold+, Gold Monster 1000, 36" Bazooka Prospector, 30" Bazooka Sniper.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for the advice. I'll check into those too.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are looking at trying to match up the detector to headphones to your ears (or anyone's ears) and then detecting under all sorts of conditions in some severe locations, ground mineralization or EMI conditions. I have a set of Killer Bees that I like and then a couple years ago I purchased a new "Clear Technology" wireless headphones w/transmitter-receiver system. Wireless became my best friend even though they are all plastic. The clear technology sound better (to me and my ears) than my Senheiser headphones. Personal preference always needs to be considered. Best of luck with your search.........................63bkpkr

PS - the Clear Technology headphones sold out some time ago though you might chance across a pair at a flea market.

OP
OP
CA Gold Hunter

CA Gold Hunter

Nov 14, 2014
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
These are gonna be for my whites tdi sl.

Koffee

Dec 9, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Goldbug2 x2 , Garrett 250, GTX 3030, CZ20, Excal, Minelab 2200, ATX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have worn all types and brands of headphones over the years and my main concern all boils down to three main points.

1. Are they durable - as some brands wear like iron and are worth pouring a little extra money and others break just buy looking at them.
2. Are they comfortable
3. Do they have the features I want. i.e water proof, external volume control ect.

Cheers

Zip Zip

Dec 10, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
If I remember correctly, the NDT come's with an extra removable cord, so you can quickly swap out the cord that got torn loose from a bush etc. :)

OP
OP
CA Gold Hunter

CA Gold Hunter

Nov 14, 2014
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I ended up getting the NDT's and they did come with the extra cord.

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So, how do you like them? I've been considering a pair for my TDI, and GMT. On one of the prospecting forums, the Black Widows seem to get the majority nod.
Jim

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've used Jolly Rodgers, Bushmasters and now Grey Ghosts NDT's. The GG and Bushmasters sound great. The Jolly's not so much

IMPDLN

Mar 18, 2014
Central Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2100 V-2, Gold Bug SE, SDC2300, GPX4500
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I use Rattlers myself. Most guys want both ears covered, but having one ear open to the world has kept me in the loop with what is happening around me and been very much appreciated more than once. I don't want anything, no legs, 2 legs, or 4 legs sneaking up on me. Dennis

OP
OP
CA Gold Hunter

CA Gold Hunter

Nov 14, 2014
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So, how do you like them? I've been considering a pair for my TDI, and GMT. On one of the prospecting forums, the Black Widows seem to get the majority nod.
Jim

I don't have much to compare them too, just the stock whites that came with my detector. They are a huge improvement over the stock ones so I'm glad I upgraded. I may eventually get a pair of Rattlers just so I can be more aware of whats around me though.

GreyGhost

Feb 14, 2010
AZ
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Black Widows are popular for nuggetshooting but I bought a pair and after using them for a few trips just couldn't get into them. They're loud but the volume doesn't have very fine adjustment so they seem to go from loud to nothing. They didn't block ambient noise that well either, they fit kinda loosely on my head (and I've got a big head).
I found one small nugget using them but I went back to my Sun Ray Pros. The tone (to me) sounds much better on those. Like the speakers are higher quality. The cuffs and headband are made of leather too, not vinyl like the Black Widows.

Zip Zip

Dec 10, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
I wore Gray Ghosts, I would like to test a set of Koss phones (even though I would keep one ear uncovered) :)

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the NDTs, Killer Bees, for my Safari, I prefer separate volume controls, both are very good phones. I have the Grey Ghost Amphibs on my ATP which I feel are better than the Garrett waterproof phones which have no volume control. I got the factory Koss phones with my Safari and do not like them largely because I find the earcups too large. I also have a Rattler which I use if I am worried about people coming up on me in seedier parks and they are also quality phones.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions