Still Huntn For New Ground

Featherdfishead

Apr 4, 2014
Callahan-ScottValley-Salmon River, Ca
Detector(s) used
Primarily Minelab SDC 2300
and Gold Bug Pro with NEL Sharpshooter, Grey Ghost Phones, an EzSluice, a good Pan, various Diggn Tools, and a Good'Ol Dog or Two
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello once again
Life's sure been busy but i was able to get out one day the last two weekends. Yet, the gold gods avoid me.

The weekend before last I went as planned in search of the old bulldozer/bucket line mine and the pit mine area. The first place was a total bust and had nothing of any detecting value. After this i wrapped around the ridge and dropped into an area i had previously passed through but hadnt explored thoroughly. I soon located the old mining trail and began to fallow it up stream. These old trails and old ditches always seam to lead to something eventful whether it be gold or relic ( and in this case some old mineing cabins). Locating the old path i get out the SDC and power her up. Swinging away as i head up the trail i listen for signals in my right ear while listening to the nearby stream and a Bullocks Oriole singing 200 ft downhill in the riparian zone. The trail handed over 3 shoe tacks, 1 trouser grommet, 2 square nails and afew random shards of scrap metal but not the dropped nugget or coin i was hoping for. Actually a very clean trail compared to many i've walked. Soon I spy'd ahead an old cabin all but collapsed on itself. Took some pics poked around and headed up the trail to find another cabin in better condition and another close by this one that had been smashed by a windblown old White Fir. More pics and some lunch while looking around and off to find were they were mining. The pockets on the hillside above were my main goal but after locating only three very sloughed old pits and not seeing any other indicators of the old timers chasing the gold i headed back downhill twords the stream to find were else theyd been mining. A short time latter i located the only exposed bedrock left from the old time mining days. The area is slide prone and many slides had buried the old workings completely. Not a target in the entire area besides afew nail fragments. Another bust but also another area checked off my list.

This past weekend was another goldless one but an exciting any way. A friend found his first piece after 9 YRs of detecting and it was a 3 dwt beauty. He and another buddy called to tell me to plan on getn together on sat and hittn the spot he scored his piece the day before. We hit the spot mid morning. My no longer a gold virgin buddy with his SD 2100, another friend with his MXT and me with my SDC. We worked every inch of that hillside and not another piece of gold to be found. Pounds of nails, boot tack, lead and scrap metal but not a wink of color. It was hard not to get excited hitting the lead that sounded so good, and the old lead warble helped to avoid some lead but it was everywhere. I did find on old lead with grease grooves and my buddy part of an old locket with his mxt. Near the end of the day i located an old chinaman drift that none of us had found previously. This stretch of river has ancient cement stone on the high bench adjacent to the current streams course and the chinamen would drift the bottom of the cement stone were it contacts the serpentine bedrock. I scurried inside about twenty feet to find it water logged and about 80 ft in length from the vantage i had. I left at that and will return with the right gear and a buddy to explore it as thoroughly and safely as possible.

Pics of trail, cabins. Yes those little windows are actually doors, small and low so they could be shut up in winter. This is the only cabin i;ve ever found that still had a bed frame, ready to move in. LOl.

SAM_0098.JPG SAM_0101.JPG SAM_0095.JPG SAM_0103.JPG SAM_0104.JPG SAM_0106.JPG SAM_0107.JPG SAM_0110.JPG SAM_0111.JPG

No pics from last weekend but will show drift in the future — and hopefully some color — My dry spell has continued and i'm destined to brake it.

Getn out sunday and hopen lady luck is with me.
AjR

Upvote 0

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RIGHTEOUS ADVENTURE and thanx much for the fantastic tag a long pics. If possible look out the cabin windows as a miners poke was almost always withing his view from either a door/window. Search that area,post holes and them old outhouses too. Exciting pics that bring the blood to a boil with that insideous gold fever. :happysmiley: color me green with envy as my abilities to hike/climb like that are dubious to say the least. Quest on :headbang: John

Jim Hemmingway

Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Detector(s) used
F-75, Infinium LS, MXT, GoldBug2, TDI Pro, 1280X Aquanaut, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thankyou for sharing the adventure AjR and the great photos. That is a beautiful country, the one cabin looks to be not in too bad shape, at least nothing that a little work wouldn’t sufficiently fix-up to serve as a place to hang your hat at the end of a long day. A nice little potbellied heater, maybe a rough fireplace eventually one day, knock together some cupboards and bed-frame, and lay in some supplies that’ll keep longterm… home out on the range. Maybe build a small roofed porch for taking your coffee in the evening, wouldn’t that be nice? Gotta love that country, heck any gold is just a bonus and you will find it I’m sure. :icon_thumright:

Jim.

OP
OP
Featherdfishead

Featherdfishead

Apr 4, 2014
Callahan-ScottValley-Salmon River, Ca
Detector(s) used
Primarily Minelab SDC 2300
and Gold Bug Pro with NEL Sharpshooter, Grey Ghost Phones, an EzSluice, a good Pan, various Diggn Tools, and a Good'Ol Dog or Two
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks John and Jim - glad you enjoyed the pics - your spirit of adventure is felt even if hindered by the body.

I squized into the cellar hole in the pics but it had already been raided, the old stash box was built into the wall and was still present - its in the hole in the right of the pic. I'll be sure to poke around more when i return sometime with my GB Pro since theirs so much junk around i didnt waist my time with the SDC. Many people had dug around but not very systematically. I'm not as hot on relics as i am on gold so i have a growing list of places like this that i will someday return to hunt relics at. I just never do - when it comes to mining or relic hunting the gold wins every time. I'd bet there's some nice relics around though.

Yes as it was the standing cabin would work in a pinch as shelter . At the opposite side of the house from the small door was the shop which was evident by the strewn gears and canvas strapping pieces. Junk all over. Above this area another half mile i had previously found 3 more cabin bases and at least one workshop. One of these upper cabins had ditches running directly under the front porch area and just along another wall. I figured this was so they could pan some of their prospects near the cabin. Nearby i also found a pile of crushed quartz ore that i presume came from the pockets up slope. All the workings in this area are small few man jobs and all date from the 1890's to the turn of the century.

Turns out my wife is out selling jewelry she makes at a local mushroom festival this weekend so i'll be unable to get out tomorrow as planned. I'm bummed and irritable but will be extra happy to get out next weekend. I've debated returning to old areas just to hopefully get a piece and brake the dry spell but i vowed to myself i'd find a new spot before doing so and will keep my pact. Hell, i haven't even got 100 hrs on my SDC yet just to darn busy.

Until next time - Enjoy Summer and get some gold ( or Silver)!
AjR

snakejim

Dec 18, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug 2, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer, White's GM3, GMT, GM24K, White's Pulse scan TDI, Sierra Pulse Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Neat story and photos. It is beautiful country up there in Northern Calif. I would like to go back up there someday.
Thanks for sharing.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have photos of many places I would like to return to however when I took the photos I did not identify the locations in the pictures. Try to do that now while you still recall where you were at. Lovely photos and thank you for sharing.........................63bkpkr

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure gives ya that particuliar itch you can't scratch in tejas Herb? Or have you adapted to environs?John

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi John, I REFUSE to adapt! Like McArthur I Shall Return!......................63bkpkr

GreyGhost

Feb 14, 2010
AZ
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice photos. The gold will come back to you, as long as you keep working for it. I tend to find it in spurts; a few nuggets here and there over one weekend lead to a few more during the next few weeks. Then it's followed but a few weeks of skunk. Once you break through to your next nugget, from hardwork and a little luck, more will follow.

californiagold

Aug 7, 2014
California goldfields
Detector(s) used
Makro Gold Racer, Nokta Fors gold plus, Makro racer2, Nokta fors gold, minelab gpx5000, fisher gold bug pro and many many others
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You know so much about your hometown area, im sure youll find more anytime. Atleast you have a good chance at being a pro photographer. Lol.
You got good detectors and good knowledge, im sure youll be lighting up the scoreboard very soon.
Good luck my friend!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions