CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Got another coil to try and see if same symptoms occur? Also did the machine always do that way ?

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My GMT does the same thing...always has. I think it is a characteristic of the more sensitive detectors. Any distortion of the coil causes the detector to sound a target.
Jim

bfloyd4445

May 18, 2015
Sacramento Ca. or Drain Or. USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Other
I think what you are hearing is the slight change in shape of the coil as it hits the rock creates an inductive spike which the machine then sees as a signal and screams out. And you are right this effect would be most pronounced in the most sensitive detectors.
So, what do you want, a little irritating noise or less gold?:laughing7:

Last edited:

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
In my case, I just put up with it....wouldn't trade that GMT sensitivity for anything. As an aside...I noticed that my TDI S/L doesn't do it. But, it's not as sensitive as the GMT.
Jim

bfloyd4445

May 18, 2015
Sacramento Ca. or Drain Or. USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Other
In my case, I just put up with it....wouldn't trade that GMT sensitivity for anything. As an aside...I noticed that my TDI S/L doesn't do it. But, it's not as sensitive as the GMT.
Jim

The more sensitivity the better to a point at which the noise interferes with hearing targets. Its easy to make a machime with lots of power, sensitivity, but not easy to make one that eliminates most of the trash without comprimising sensitivity and power. Your TDI S/L may in fact be as or more powerful than the GMT and with better discrtimination. The only way to tell for sure is a shootout between the two machines.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread