104 degrees, hobos, rakes, gold

californiagold

Aug 7, 2014
California goldfields
Detector(s) used
Makro Gold Racer, Nokta Fors gold plus, Makro racer2, Nokta fors gold, minelab gpx5000, fisher gold bug pro and many many others
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello

Well it definetly was a warm one today. Only got down in the 70' s last nite. So we got out early to see about getting some gold and maybe catch the hobos on our property sleepin.
Unfortunatly the hobos multiplied in last week. Now there is 3 different camps right in the middle of our pocket diggins. All the hobos were up and gone except for one. I yelled at him to get the flying fluck of my property. He let out some sorta screams and hollers like some of those calls on that bigfoot show. I think he might have had to much angel dust. Long story short, cops have been there 4 times now to remove them, but they just come back next day. Also if you live near redding and your missin your bicycle , the hobos probably took it. Bike theft is a huge problem in redding right now, according to cops.
Now onto the gold. Went to one of our still cleaning up places. Its near the truck, so always have ice cold drinks. We have alot of area still to clean out. There is mounds amongst the diggins that have a bush or tree or two growing on them. So there is several inches of pine branches and needles on them. So today we took our plastic lawn rakes and raked down to the dirt level to see what we got. These mounds were never detected before though.
Some of these mounds are right where a pocket was formed and the ground is xtremly mineralized. And some of the gold is very rough. Managed to find 10 pcs with Fors Gold . Some at good depths. And the rice lookin piece of gold at left of dime with my partners gpx 5000 and camo coiltek elite at 8". My partner did very well with her gb pro and nel coil and gpx. It was about a tie. Still have many mounds left. But the hobo problem is such a pain right now. I dont know if any are criminals or what. Usually I worry about my female partner getting jumped if we are seperated. But actually the hobos should worry about her and her sig saurer 40. I never seen her miss anything she has ever shot at with that thing. I havent been carrying around my 45 cal. Just my sog seal team elite knife. But might have to start packin. Ive lived here my whole life and just not wanting to accept that the local world around me is now bad. And now i have to carry my gun everywhere.
Anyways gold weight was 1.9 dwt.
Better raking for gold then raking the lawn.
Good luck!

Attachments

• 1433737168876.jpg
    1433737168876.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 228
Upvote 0

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Much of the crime and disfunction in American society today is directly related to the tens of thousands mentally ill people living among us (including most of the homeless) which wouldn't have been tolerated just a few generations ago. Until recent times, states had vast networks of publicly funded and controlled institutions for the mentally ill or "mental hospitals" for short. Then in the 1970's and 80's California along with most other states began shutting down all of its hospitals in an effort to control costs and other politics. The reasoning at the time was that newer behavioral medications, counseling and "half way houses" these people living on the edge of total insanity would be better served, Oh and it would be left for the counties to make it work! Well thirty years latter the results speak for themselves; homelessness, substance abuse and child molestation is epidemic not to mention degenerate nuts shooting up schools, churches and theaters (most every one had a mental history) Granted these hospitals weren't considered the most pleasant places to be in or work at but necessary for society to function. Those of us over 50 remember when they were around and the term; "institutionalized" relating to someone acting so weird and wacked out he was hauled off and locked up BEFORE hurting himself or others. Now how come you don't see politicians in discussions like this? Because it's easier to turn a blind eye to the truth, take our guns and throw us all off public land.

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Getting people off your land could be entertaining. I'm mean if your busy and don't have spending money then it's a real annoyance. But with a little time and a couple bucks I could think of a 1000 ways to make them leave and not come back. Just got to get creative...

Getting it on video would be nice too for sh$$s and giggles later.trail cams everywhere you can afford them.

"Hey bud can you pass me a glass of that Jack-piss"? Lololol

Last edited:

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Those folks are victims, greenies identify with and love victims, they won't say or do a thing. Plus they can't make any money of em so no point in putting in the effort unless we can get them classified as endangered

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NO FUN NEVER EVER AND IN NO WAY AS SOCIETY DEGENERATES INTO MASS KILLINGS AND COLLECTIVE INSANITY. No worse feeling in this long life than to show up in paradise, after many hours of preparation, planning and driving into a war zone fulla trash , filth and toothless crankster gangster animals at your favorite claim or hidey hole-John

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank goodness that here we only have to deal with them in the winter months. (Snow Bird hobos?). Right now its too damn hot for even the craziest of them to be wondering around here in the desert.

TAKODA

Aug 19, 2008
Alabama
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A couple years ago I was prospecting and camped on the Kern river and the first night some stuff was stolen from my cooler. Come to find out some vagabonds were just down stream from me and dug in deep. I had a nearly empty bottle of Jack that I topped off with piss and put into the ice chest before bed that night. When I checked the next morning........ it was gone.

:laughing7::laughing7::laughing7::laughing7::laughing7::laughing7::laughing7::laughing7::laughing7: .............. :laughing7::laughing7::laughing7::laughing7: ............... :laughing7: ............... :laughing7::laughing7::laughing7: .

That's good . :headbang:

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Snow bird hobo? LOL That's a new one for me. :D
Watch about, I bet those Ritzy RV'ers wont like their precious nick name being drug through the mud! LOL

Aside from that though, I have met some very nice homeless folks that either chose that life or were hurled into it.
I gave a homeless man 2 Pepsi's the other night and someone tried to hit him right there, veered over to us and everything!
I hollered at them "*******S!" and he said, don't worry, people do that to me all the time, I am use to it.

Where has human compassion gone?
Yes, I understand when they make a huge mess, trip out and take from others then they do not deserve such compassion, but for the good ones - they don't deserve the same treatment.

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Very true! Many that are on the street are not there because they want to be. Many have lost their jobs thanks to this crappy economy and have no choice but to be on the streets. Many are there because they don't want to accept help from others etc etc etc.

For others that haven't walked in there shapes to harass them or make fun of them I hope that at some point in their life they have a chance to experience just what it's like.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just in 1 canyon here ,Linden by the hospital, they removed over 36 TONS of filth and 97 bumbs. There were a dozen agencies there to assist the poor. 95 absolutely refused help or relocationin in any and all forms. We get free food, clothes and medical easily obtainable for free. Their collective opinion was we love it this way-their word and not mine as seen on tv many times and in person. Why work as that's stupip. We need money we trim bud or do other thing ie CRIME. Our isane states, per federal mandate, have emptied our prisons, jails and nuthouses onto the steets,over160,000 last year alone. We have revolving door jails where they get busted for auto theft,burgulary,larceny,assault etc etc 5-6 times a WEEK and out you go as the feds say your jails overcrowded and they never how or trial. sic sic sic mess-John

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like most bad things there can be concentrations....and attempt at civilization in a wild to semi wild environment looks very bad. And when things affect people directly they get strong opinions. It is a bummer the nature of some peoples opinions. Even worse when people throw around facts to back their opinions that are misguided or just plain wrong.
I have been homeless by choice. I used to work in Alaska during the tourist season and work in the lower 48 during the Alaska off season. had a van, a dog and would find free places to park and camp. I also had a good job. I just didn't want to hassle with leases, credit checks deposits etc. considering I would be moving in a few months and new it.
Fact is I had more money then people who would be on social programs and in subsidized housing.
I was in fact still considered homeless. When I would tell new co workers of my living situation I would get strange looks and definitely was treated like there was something "wrong" that would make me " have " to live like this.....A "bum" or " Hobo".....who was a manager and made 40K+ a year...and saved a lot living simply.....
I would say I was a rare exception except I learned it from others in my situation who also traveled doing contract resort work.
My reasonings didn't matter to the sheriff....or people I came across that just assumed I was homeless and believe me I was treated thusly especially at camp.
It is common in the edge of town where the camps are to find them trashed.... I hated it and did not respect those that left the woods like that especially because I knew it affected how I was treated.
I did have interactions with numerous people who were very down in life.... no social aid... bad mental health...ex cons...drunks....and young people who grew up poor and hit the world without family or direction. There are a myriad of reasons people end up this way.
I get annoyed with the young kids you see, like a couple with a dog and natty hair and a sign that says " PLEASE HELP FAMILY KILLED BY NINJAS"....pisses me off knowing that if that dude just tried a few years back he would have a job and not be ok with begging at a street corner...When I see someone my dads age a vet and I know he probably has a family he hasn't talked to and has lost hope...maybe had a bad turn of events. I never see a way to blame society... or the government...it always comes down to the person their initiative and abilities or hurdles they either can't or won't jump.
Most of them are not "BAD" people they just have problems....people who don't have problems tend to not want to deal with people they don't know who do have problems. They sure can label and blame those people they don't know anything about can't they.....
However I'm realistic....and If I had private land that was being squatted on and trashed...and after I visited the camp and had decided that they were gonna be jerks about it and then if the sheriff wouldn't remove them you bet your butt I would have a little bit of fun making them not to comfy in that neck of the woods.
I would definitely reach out to them in the first place.

The Ca. prison population peaked in 2006. at 163,000 inmates and has been going down since. There have been reforms and court orders that shifted sentencing and probation. 90% of the population in the prisons currently. To have a violent felony. There are a lot of people who do not deserve to be in prison with the people they are in with. The prisons are also now used to deal with mental health patients that would have previously gone through a different system. They shouldn't be in prison.
It is a proven thing that prison affects your sanity. if you already have issues that do in fact make you make bad choices...a prison sentence will normally just make your problems worse.
Do to the prison population as it stands couple with actual crime rates it is inaccurate to state that 160,000 inmates were released last year. Especially to use that number as a metric to show an increase in crimes committed because of this release.

It makes it very difficult to back up such a notion when crime rates, considering population even have been going down every year in California since the mid 1990's.
A little research reveals that as always you are more likely to have a violent crime committed against you by someone you know than a stranger. And property crimes are crimes of opportunity. Be observant don't be a victim. Its also no where near as bad as it is made to seem and in no way getting worse as a whole. It seems like it when a spot in the woods gets trashed and its too bad its on some ones property....but, not a situation that is on an increase everywhere. California Crime Rates 1960 - 2013

I have to say also that it is unfortunate the lack of compassion and understanding some people have towards mental health and homelessness. The vast majority of people in that situation don't want to be in it they just can't or wont try to change it....yes there are programs and shelters and they get food and it gets easy for them to have a daily program....but, they don't 'Like" it they are mainly dealing with it.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We live here and know the current conditions so hypothecation from afar is bizzare. Our Grand Jury Report came out Friday and available at Redding.com along with not dozens, not 100s but 1,000s of stories and FACTS on our ungodly crime wave here. We are jut trying to warn folks that when mining here it pays to remember that Shasta County has the highest homeless count(many 1,000s) north and east of Sacramento to both borders. Our assault, burglary, robbery, auto theft and dope busts have escalated expotentialy. Read and educate and always go out with more than 1 and definitely pack. Stay safe. John

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As usual the broader point is lost on you John....and when you do research you will see that central Redding has the same crime rate as Grass Valley...Oroville...Fort Bragg Sonora.........Arcata....Clear lake......and that's for Central Redding area the numbers change when you get out of town. The fact is as I was saying these problems happen all over the state especially on the fringes of city where it meets rural.......it is a very common situation that the majority of rural municipalities deal with. Crime is on the rise is an exception as I stated based on easy to find facts....Yes Redding is an exception to the rule...but, that does not make it necessarily less safe for the average person.
Crime rates are based on occurrence and population. Events per one thousand or one hundred thousand. Alpine County the smallest county has an exceptionally high rate....7.5 violent crimes per one thousand residents....sounds high but, when you consider that there are less than 1800 permanent residents those numbers hold different weight.
Violent crimes as I stated are normally directed crime...meaning the suspect and victim typically know each other in some way...statistics show this nationwide.
Firearm death rates include death by suicide when they hit crime databases....Northern California has a high suicide rate..those numbers factor in to the overall.
Redding area Shasta county overall. Is still as relatively safe for its law abiding citizens. Property crime is an issue of much more concern in Norcal as we have the smaller poorer counties..with an uptake in meth use and production...as tweakers don't normally work they steal. Yet, if as a home owner as long as you remain observant and secure your property your likelihood of becoming a victim drops pretty close to zero.
The same reason I gave that advice if your a prospector pay attention...know your area and you will stay safe.
I read an research A LOT.....
B.T.W......so we can be on top of the words we use....https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypothecation

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

californiagold

Aug 7, 2014
California goldfields
Detector(s) used
Makro Gold Racer, Nokta Fors gold plus, Makro racer2, Nokta fors gold, minelab gpx5000, fisher gold bug pro and many many others
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This post is not a pissin match between whos right on the facts. If you all want start a new post and you can compare facts there. This post was mine about a day out detecting gold. And the trouble I have with the same chronic hobos that have trashed my property and been removed by the law 4 times. They have no respect. This is America and everybody should respect peoples property no matter what their living situation. If you are or were homeless and you respected peoples property then hats off to you. Redding does have a large amount of homeless that are ex violent crime persons. My cousin is a detective for rpd and has relayed the facts to me. These are the ones local law keeps having most violent crime homeless calls about.
My family has been in shasta since 1849 and the homeless issus is very noticeable to us native shasta co. Residents. It just goes with the territory. Every decent size municipal area has homeless issues. Its unfortunate the bad ones make it bad for the ones that are decent.
I worry more for the elderly or girls then I do about my detecting crew. The bad homeless prey on weaker citizens. Which has happend many times here allready. From robbery to rape.
All prospectors on the edges of towns just need to be prepared for the worst and use what protection that you see fit. Stats arent going to help you if you are attacked. Dont resent not protecting yourself or you loved ones from violent people. Everybody just have to pay attention and be careful when prospecting as more times then most people arent paying alot of attention to their surrondings.
Good luck

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree and understand. wasn't trying to jack your thread. I just know its not only a Redding Ca. problem and the numbers show places are a lot more alike then was implied.

OP
OP
C

californiagold

Aug 7, 2014
California goldfields
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yes problems are everywhere and in every town. People have really changed alot in few short years. Used to be if someone was brokedown on side of road, you would stop and help them. Now days that has turned into car jacking situations. Crazy.
When we used to leave town, we never even locked our houses around here. Nobody stole anything. Nowdays you pretty much know the situation. Yes its a ever changing world and its hard to have to accept it sometimes. Sometimes you still see a sliver of hope for mankind. And you stop and renember how good things used to be

Adventure_Time

May 31, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Step 1) Befriend hobos and tell them about the gold on the property
Step 2) Teach them how to get the gold
Step 3) Gather hard evidence of mineral trespass
Step 4) Court. They wont show up, Bench Warrants.
Step 5) Crack open beer and enjoy hobofree property with no violence invovled 8)

After you get warrants out for them they are a lot less likely to come back if they know they have a warrant on their head.

Last edited:

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
well just remember that it only takes a stroke of the pen or a wrong turn off the highway to become a homeless person! My daughter is the grounds director for the Gateway Arch in St. Louis ,Misery. she sees and talks to these guys all the time..............................AND she has gone professional in the MMA cage , she was the belt holder in the mid-west region , and her soon tobe husband is also professional MMA also!.....so its not like she is unprepared to defend herself! And all the workers down there keep a eye out for her safty as well as for everyone there.

indianbullet

Greenie
Aug 11, 2015
Redding/Susanville Ca
Detector(s) used
Minelab 4500
Nokta FORS CoRe
Whites Spectrum xlt
Primary Interest:
Other
Sadly this homeless problem is out of control in the north state. I'm out near Palo Cedro and see them gravitating out our way as well.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread