Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I love the pictures of your gold. I wish you continued success. In the mean time, I enjoyed both of your articles and especially the focus on the GPS mapping feature. Someday, maybe you could upload those maps so those of us who follow behind know the spots that are hunted out (joking).

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great articles! Always drool looking at the gold photos. :notworthy:

Army of 1

Jun 22, 2013
Dundee Northern Australia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro , Tesora Bandito 2 , Minelab GPX 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Real nice nuggets Steve , the 7000 is working vey well for you ..cheers Mick

californiagold

Aug 7, 2014
California goldfields
Detector(s) used
Makro Gold Racer, Nokta Fors gold plus, Makro racer2, Nokta fors gold, minelab gpx5000, fisher gold bug pro and many many others
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Great articles and success. Doing pretty good for a year not as planned. Good job

OP
OP
Steve Herschbach

Steve Herschbach

Apr 1, 2005
Nevada
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think for most people the GPX 5000 is the bang for the buck for overall proven performance and versatility at a decent price. The coil selection is unparalleled and it can adjust for nearly any ground. The GPZ 7000 does offer someone like me a serious edge on some gold in some ground but it is not a magic wand. It struggles with salt/alkali conditions in particular. On the other hand performance on certain specimen gold is truly stunning. Bottom line is I sold my GPX and do not regret it at all but your mileage may vary.

OP
OP
Steve Herschbach

Steve Herschbach

Apr 1, 2005
Nevada
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Steve, how deep does that 7000 go?

Like all detectors that depends on the size and nature of the gold and ground conditions. The bigger the nugget the deeper you can hit it. Unfortunately most nuggets are small. All detectors no matter the model find most nuggets at depths measured in inches not feet. The GPZ is no different. My deepest with the GPZ so far have been in the 16" - 18" range but I will not be surprised to break the 2 foot mark on a larger nugget with my GPZ one of these days. A big coil eventually being released will take it to the next level.

dbsmokey

Jan 12, 2004
Oregon
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Impressive; I wish I lived near that kind of gold country and could afford one of those. I wonder if nuggets like that exist in Southern Oregon. Have you ever detected in S. Oregon, Steve? Of course we all know it's not only the detector, but the skills and knowledge of the operator. ;)

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
By Southern Oregon, do you mean Southwest Oregon? This area includes Douglas, Coos, Curry, Jackson and Josephine Counties. This area is very rich in gold history, and yes, nuggets are still found.

If you mean South Central Oregon (generally Klamath and Lake Counties), or Southeast Oregon (Southern 2/3 of Malheur and Harney Counties), there is still gold, but it is much less abundant, and any nuggets are generally small.

There are several prospecting websites that have at least some information on Oregon, including sections of TreasureNet. Diligent searching on the various search engines can help out a lot.

I should add that before a stroke a few years ago I did find a few small sub-gram nugs on the South Umpqua.

OP
OP
Steve Herschbach

Steve Herschbach

Apr 1, 2005
Nevada
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have never metal detected for gold in Oregon. I have thought about wandering up that way but there are just too many places to go and never enough time it seems. I really should go do it just to do it though. Maybe this spring.

I did add quite a bit to that little pile of gold though this summer in Nevada and California.

Last edited:

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mr. Steve, absolutely beautiful and congratulations on your abilities, talents and perseverance! Over the years you have learned/taught yourself about many situations, with that knowledge paying off with some delectable results. Thank you for sharing!..................63bkpkr

dbsmokey

Jan 12, 2004
Oregon
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have never metal detected for gold in Oregon. I have thought about wandering up that way but there are just too many places to go and never enough time it seems. I really should go do it just to do it though. Maybe this spring.

I did add quite a bit to that little pile of gold though this summer in Nevada and California.

Well if you did, it would be cool to see a report for comparison to other locales. I have a lead on one spot that might produce (in SW Oregon.) I'm a novice, but let me know if you'd like company. It'd be an honor to detect with a guru like you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread