Whites VSAT - Is this thing busted?

AU_Solitude

Feb 24, 2014
Vacaville CA
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, GBII, Geo Picks & Hammers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey everyone - I picked up a VSAT on a whim because it was a steal, upon firing it up for the first time things seem out of wack.

I'll start out about 12:00 for the ground balance and barely adjust the gain past the on position - it does its start up moan, I adjust the threshold to a barely audible hum...Now here's where it all seems to get screwy...I can crank the gain to ten and its running stable bench testing, however, if I attempt to mess with either the ground balance (CW or CCW) or attempt to turn the gain back down CCW it starts screaming murder! Is something wrong with this machine internally? My first time using a Goldmaster but I am about ready to toss it.

Advice please.:sadsmiley:

Upvote 0

Seden

Jan 28, 2008
I bet the batteries are low. It should give you the voltage when it first powers up but I would get a voltmeter and measure the batteries to be sure. If the batteries are good then the next step would be to call Whites to get a service ticket # and ship the control head in. If you send the coil with the control head they can tune the control head to your coil. Good luck.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
start with gain at 4 vsat half way. adjust threshold...then G.B...are you able to ground balance it at all? or are he knobs having zero effect on the threshold

OP
OP
AU_Solitude

AU_Solitude

Feb 24, 2014
Vacaville CA
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, GBII, Geo Picks & Hammers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
start with gain at 4 vsat half way. adjust threshold...then G.B...are you able to ground balance it at all? or are he knobs having zero effect on the threshold

After playing around with it last night a little it just kept shrieking...I opened her up and found my battery leads were weak as well as a few connections to the pot's that needed a little more reinforcement with the soldering iron. Booted her back up and no shrieking anymore. 6" on a .4 gram nugget seems pretty decent, better than my Gold Bug Pro, I realize there is a significant difference in frequencies but didn't expect to much out of an older machine.

I like this thing so far, going to put it through the ringer this Saturday in an area that has mostly sub gram gold and see what I can do.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After playing around with it last night a little it just kept shrieking...I opened her up and found my battery leads were weak as well as a few connections to the pot's that needed a little more reinforcement with the soldering iron. Booted her back up and no shrieking anymore. 6" on a .4 gram nugget seems pretty decent, better than my Gold Bug Pro, I realize there is a significant difference in frequencies but didn't expect to much out of an older machine.

I like this thing so far, going to put it through the ringer this Saturday in an area that has mostly sub gram gold and see what I can do.
Yea that's good....its when the gold is in the ground that the difference will kick in....the gb pro much more stable. Vsat is a good machine though...it is noisy

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sweet detector to learn on. You can learn any machine after using the one with 12 knobs lol.

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sweet detector to learn on. You can learn any machine after using the one with 12 knobs lol.

Yes and when you finally become proficient with this machine your right hand will be known as the octopus.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread