Nokta Fors Gold Several Runs, Several Results

QNCrazy

Sep 30, 2013
Motherlode, CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
I've been going out after work every day this week trying to get used to the new detector. I know there is gold in the creek and hill behind my house, but don't know if nuggets have ever been found. each time out, I ran in each of the three modes trying to determine which mode i like best and trying to figure out the target ID's. I have figured out that small screws and nails ID between 18-20, pull tabs and foil wrappers at mid 50's. Ring tabs hit in the mid 60's. Soda/beer cans (in tact) hit in the 80 to 85 range unless deteriorated then they ID in Mid 50's, and large iron objects (ox shoes, iron straps, hammer head, etc.) 90 to 99.

Two days ago the wife and I ventured to an old mine near our house. The old steam donkey was still there as well as the gear and drive wheels for the mill. there was scrap metal thrown around everywhere making it nearly impossible to detect. So I moved out to the tailing piles and got a couple of hits that looked promising. Mind you the tailing piles are on the side of the hill and very steep. As I started to dig the target the area beneath the target collapsed on both occasions and I lost the target.

Yesterday I decided to go to the area where I was pulling nice gold with Minny Me. I have pulled some nice pickers out of there including one weighing a 1/4dwt. The creek was dry, allowing me access to areas i normally can't get to. I spent about 3 hours out there, no gold, but more experience and more confusion. This target ID thing is getting the best of me. Maybe I'm not sure what to listen for.

I finished running in the General Mode using the headphones but I had trouble hearing the threashold tone. It started up in the factory settings, sens 50/thresh 55. When the coil was in the air, I could hear the threshold tone and notice changes in the tones during adjustment, but when I put it to the ground, the tone would go away. I gradually bumped the threshold up in incriments of 5 until I got to 75. I didn't adjust any higher thinking I was going too high. I finished searching at this setting. I am hoping the more experienced Nokta users can give me some advice here. I forgot to mention, I ground balanced after each adjustment.

I'll keep you all posted as the hunt for gold continues.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
QN, your target ID numbers seem to be consistent with
what my machine does with the same type of targets.

I can tell you, without question, that zinc pennies will read
as an 82, with dimes and quarters slightly higher on the
scale at 85-88. Can slaw tends to bounce a bit, and pull tabs
will show up in the mid-40's (I dig every one hoping for a gold
ring).

Do me a favor and listen to the video I just posted, and let me
know if your machine does the same.

I haven't tried my machine much in all-metal mode, but
hearing a threshold tone is near impossible for me. I have
used it with whatever the factory setting was, but couldn't
hear the threshold...it did sound off on targets though.

californiagold

Aug 7, 2014
California goldfields
Detector(s) used
Makro Gold Racer, Nokta Fors gold plus, Makro racer2, Nokta fors gold, minelab gpx5000, fisher gold bug pro and many many others
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Qncrazy
Glad to see your out getting sometime in with fors. As far as target ids. Keep digging everything over 40. Your never going to find pieces of gold that consistently gives same target id. They are all little different. Mainly because of size and shape. But they all will go off above 40. Unless you get a deep or tiny piece that jumps around. Above 40 - below 40. Probably the best mode for gold is boost mode. It takes alot of time to learn to hear different sounds. Basically the fors has the same beep for the nonferrous targets. Gold hits very sharp and the tail of the signal drops of immediately. But this is hard to hear, cause it happens in milliseconds. If you try a little shrapnel piece of foil. You can get an idea of what gold sounds like in alot of cases. It hits sharp and the end of the signal drops quick. Lead sounds good too, but the signal is alittle blander. And the end of the signal drops off slower. Its really hard to tell the difference. But with time, you will hear signals that you have a good notion that its gold. But sometimes you get fooled. Just keep digging. And the number 1 tip always the most important is location. Get in a gold bearing area. If you find gold in a creek get up on the hillsides and find some diggins. Normally I dont ever go to creeks. I go after the deposit areas where the creeks got their gold from.
Good luck

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
CG..awesome tips! Seminar in a single paragraph...:icon_thumright:

Tested my 14k wedding band yesterday, and it came in at a 64-65,
and had figured the smaller nuggets would be in the low 40 range,
but wasn't sure as I've never found one.

I do have a 1/10th gram nugget/picker that I'll test with tomorrow
(if the rain quits). The Gold Bug Pro that I had could only pick it
up if it was nearly touching the coil, so any improvement over that
would be superb.

OP
OP
QNCrazy

QNCrazy

Sep 30, 2013
Motherlode, CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
Dizz, keep in mind that our ring more than likely is not pure gold, probably 14k which means it has other metals mixed in with the gold. The nugget I just won was the perfect size to measure in the field. It ID'd at 43-45. I also noticed the signal was different. The best way to describe it is more of a flat vvvvvvrrrrriiiippppp sound than a sharp zip or beep sound. Just my observations.

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
gpz (died in a fire. rip)
Primary Interest:
Other
1/4 dwt is detectable size gold. you can bet there are larger pieces to be found in that area. learn the history of the area to narrow down search locations, at least that is the advice the successful hunters give. im trying to uncover the secret clues that will lead me to the gold in my area, before cg finds it all :laughing7: just kidding

californiagold

Aug 7, 2014
California goldfields
Detector(s) used
Makro Gold Racer, Nokta Fors gold plus, Makro racer2, Nokta fors gold, minelab gpx5000, fisher gold bug pro and many many others
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yeah you better get on it. I will be out tomarrow and this weekend with fors plus or Racer. And I just received a new coil from Coiltek to test on my 5000. So ill make sure to collect all the deep stuff too. Lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread