GB pro interference?

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was out the other day doing some sampling on the claim. I brought my GBpro because I wanted to make a map of ferrous concentrations in the creek since its dry. I can't help but detect my way down to the creek... So as I'm going right after I get my first target my detector stars making noise almost like i'm swinging over a target But, I'm not swinging. The ground phase number is changing constantly. If I turn it off and on its ok for a minute then starts again? It still does it when I try to re balance. does it when I have the coil still on the ground checking targets with my scoop? I could still get a target tone over these wackiness? I even changed batteries just to to check. It was still doing it. It calmed down when I got to the bottom of the canyon but, was still not as stable as usual. I have hunted the area numerous times with out this issue. My old GM4 did the same thing and it ended up being a loose ground wire in the housing. I check my coil connection and bumping the coil it does not not false?. has anyone had this happen to them.. I bought it used and am very nice to it....I don't think I have warranty I know Fisher will still help me out I just wanted to ask. Thanks for any help.

Upvote 0

QNCrazy

Sep 30, 2013
Motherlode, CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
I have a theory and would like to know what others think. Behind my house I get a little interference on my Fors Gold, not enough to worry about. Three days ago, I hiked up the mountain behind my house where I thought the interference should be less but is was more, a lot more. I was able to tune it out but at the expense of depth and sensitivity. When I got home, I was monitoring the emergency channels through an app on my phone. That is when I began thinking that maybe all the emergency radio traffic maybe causing my interference. I live in Tuolumne, just 15 or so miles south of the Butte Fire. Between the Rough Fire, Butte Fire, Valley Fire, and the small fire in Yosemite, there is a lot of emergency radio traffic taking place up and down the state and depending on where your claim is, perhaps that is the cause. Interested to see if others agree with this theory?

OP
OP
Goldwasher

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was actually wondering if it was the smoke reflecting EMI back down or something as it was literally the only difference in my situation..... like I said I've detected here a lot. With different machines too.... I could see that affecting you where your at maybe

HMiller

Aug 6, 2015
Darrington, Wa.
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Bazooka Sniper 30", Gold Cube 4 Stack, Gold Cube Trommel, Gold Screw Trommel, Jaw crushers, Impact Mill, Shaker Table, Spiral Wheels, Blue Bowl, Sluices, Picks, Pry Bars, Shovels,
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've had this happen with my gbpro it starts going crazy without swinging it. Pointing it up in the air stops it. I've read on the forum that cell phones can interfere so I turned mine off and the last time I was out it didn't do it with my phone off. I really didn't experiment beyond that point though. Just wanted to find some gold.

OP
OP
Goldwasher

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dude you know what that could be it.... I normally have my location setting thing turned off incase i want to share a picture. I had turned it on so I could mark some digs on a map... maybe it was affecting it I'll check that out.

HMiller

Aug 6, 2015
Darrington, Wa.
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Bazooka Sniper 30", Gold Cube 4 Stack, Gold Cube Trommel, Gold Screw Trommel, Jaw crushers, Impact Mill, Shaker Table, Spiral Wheels, Blue Bowl, Sluices, Picks, Pry Bars, Shovels,
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I never did try airplane mode. Just turned it off as there wasn't any service where I was anyway. Hope that's what it is for you.

OP
OP
Goldwasher

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is interesting as I do actually have service there...I do always have my phone this is the one time I had changed my location settings I'm gonna go out on my property in a little bit and see if it's still doing it..and mess around with my phone if it isnt.

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There is so much EMI these days. For sure, check what you have in your pockets like the phone. Other nearby detectors can cause issues. Power lines may be overhead or underground. Cell phone towers, super low aircraft, and other. Even some newer vehicles have electronics which transmit. Sounds like you did all the right things (battery, connections, etc), so I would suspect EMI. I will follow the thread to see what you conclude.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions