Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't know what it is like crossing back into the US with rocks. But coming to Canada, if you have a clean criminal record and less that 10K CDN cash, just leave your firearms at home and all will be good. It is a long drive from Arkansas. It is not easy to find silver but the area is beautiful. Some world class fishing nearby. People are friendly. If you plan on driving up, I would be happy to meet you for a coffee north of Toronto and then you only have 7 hours to go...

Jim Hemmingway

Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Detector(s) used
F-75, Infinium LS, MXT, GoldBug2, TDI Pro, 1280X Aquanaut, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Helipilot ā€¦ a few additional comments to Placergoldā€™sā€¦ as far as I know, there are no laws prohibiting metal detecting in Ontario. No doubt there are provincial and municipal exceptions such as historical sites, that may or not be posted on site. And of course, we are individually responsible for not trespassing on private property or prospecting on active mining claims.

Prior to visiting Ontarioā€™s silver country, review the site linked belowā€¦ Ontario CLAIMapsā€¦ so that you know where you can legally search. There is regularly updated information available regarding claim status on it and other related government websites. Inquire at the local township offices to access the very latest recording information

http://www.geologyontario.mndmf.gov.on.ca/website/claimapsiii/viewer.asp

Most hobbyists confine their detecting to abandoned mining camps and adjacent areas, or float hunting on publicly accessible Crown Land. Some sites will be posted ā€˜NO TRESPASSINGā€™ usually for reasons of safety / liability, or where the owner has experienced theft or vandalism. Obviously staying off such sites will ensure that your visit here will be an enjoyable experience.

Iā€™m about to head north and will not be available on TreasureNet until sometime in November. If you have any further questions, hopefully others from Ontario will try to help you.

Jim.

OP
OP
H

Helipilot

Tenderfoot
Mar 13, 2015
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Garrett Pro Pointer, gold pan, Keene High Banker,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the replies. My wife and I have a fifth wheel camper and thought we could spend a few weeks up there. Rig tows really well and the diesel dully get fairly good fuel mileage. I will visit with both of you guys next summer before we start. Thanks a lot and the coffee is on me when we meet.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Drive safe, hope you have a grand adventure JH and of coarse tons a au 2 u 2 and lotza that silver also-John

Jim Hemmingway

Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Detector(s) used
F-75, Infinium LS, MXT, GoldBug2, TDI Pro, 1280X Aquanaut, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Best of luck Jim!

Thanks Rick, it's 10:30 AM and I'm just heading out the door now. My camper lights wiring harness was fixed two days ago, but I just could not resist hanging around for a couple of Pittsburgh Penguin hockey games, the Blue Jays / Yankees series, and the wife's cooking. I guess it's apparent that I'm not terribly keen on silver anymore... I suppose that's perfectly natural after all the years. I ask myself the question 'isn't it time you looked at some new horizons' but the answer is still 'NO' so I'm headed north to look for more of what's below. :)

Jim.

22.6 LB AG BAR CALCITE SF19YG.JPG

Last edited:

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well Jim, I guess that means you are up there now. Hope you had a safe trip and luck with the detecting. I will be up for sure soon.

ice9

Jan 13, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How was your summer, Jim?

Do you have plans for all your silver???

I can't tell you how encouraging your posts have been; seldom indeed do people with such incredible knowledge share it so willingly!

I'll be dreaming of Cobalt for the next few white months!

QMaze

Aug 3, 2015
Windsor, ON
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1235-X |
Garrett Infinium LS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy crap thats in my Province, omg.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread