American River advice

au79ramona

Oct 11, 2013
Detector(s) used
Minelab SDC2300
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey guys, heading up to the Sacramento area for my birthday next month. Plan on spending a few days metal detecting the American River (mostly the South Fork) Never been up that way so any advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated (rules, regulations, things to look for, things to skip) I have a sdc2300 and have yet to put it over some gold. Would love to find my first piece for my 30th birthday. Thanks for any help!

Upvote 0

SchoolOfHardRocks

Apr 30, 2014
Gone, With the Wind
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't know the SF as well but I know of Yankee Jims & Mineral Bar on the North Fork. Biggest piece I've found out there is only .3 gram so I'm not sure how detecting would be, but there's gold there. Stay Safe.

Sacramento

Tenderfoot
Sep 2, 2015
Sacramento
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WHen I spoke to the California Park Rangers at Folsom Lake they told me that you could metal detect the AMerican River from Zinfandel down to Old Sacramento. However, I believe most of that area was dredged hard by the old timers.

Send me a note when you end up going and I might join you. I live here but never did the river.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Auburn Recreation Area is huge with many spots to mutz and putz. The have a website to get the current rules/regs/costs. Also look at the Auburn Goldhounds(non profit-a REAL one) website and maybe you can catch a outing/demo/meeting as some of the best folks in the state belong. SF Yuba River BLM Recreation area(again website has info) up river from Purdone Crossing rocks with the ancient Yuba River Channel of Gold is intersected there . Work between hi-low water marks, tree falls,rock slides and have a ball...COLD at night now but days still warm BUT fall/winter can hit with a vengeance,we are praying for it as drought is horrific-John

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Au79,
Likely you already understand that Hwy 50 goes right up the south fork with roads finally taking you to Tahoe/Reno. Years ago there were camping spots along the wide spots in the road. Also years ago the river was wide and deep, likely not quite so much that way now.

You do want to check for legal right of access for valuable minerals as housing and easy Cadillac type car access is right there. One would check the "usual suspects", water blockage points, and bends in the river.

When the weather turns winter in NorCal it could be really nasty out there and falling into the river could mean your death. Be Careful! Best of success to ya................63bkpkr

OP
OP
au79ramona

au79ramona

Oct 11, 2013
Detector(s) used
Minelab SDC2300
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for all the tips gentlemen. Writing them all down in a notebook so I can start doing some research and checking claim info so I don't ruffle any feathers by being somewhere I'm not supposed to be. Any other tips would be greatly appreciated

IMPDLN

Mar 18, 2014
Central Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2100 V-2, Gold Bug SE, SDC2300, GPX4500
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've been to Mineral Bar a few times. Nice place to do some sniping. Might be a good place to utilize the SDC's waterproof capabilities while sniping, if your into that sort of thing. I'm sure a wetsuit would be needed this time of year. So many places in the rec area have great potential, however since I was only visiting I never had time to explore but a small area. Good luck and have fun. Dennis

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread